Salt Lake City, As Good As It Gets?

Sgt.D

I'm feeling like the reason I'm not seeing any threads for this show is that many of us are on the road taking in these last few shows? I live in between so I'm home tonight, Denver tommorow! I came away from the show last night telling my wife I felt it was the best show I'd seen the band do in the 25 years I've been attending, and I meant it. I'm not sure if its just me, the end of the tour getting to me, my bias or what? It just seemed like everything Rush has to offer was on display at this show. The performance was strong, and yet loose. Neils solo sections were the perfect trip through his entire legacy of licks. Alex was cool and fun, making your ears stand at attention as he can only do. And Ged, the masterfull captain, leading the charge with precision and heart. It wasn't crazy high energy, amazing spurts I've seen so many times, but rather a solid chunk of a live performance for the ages, proving who is truly the heavyweight champion of the galaxy. I was in tears for The Garden, feeling it's modern epic weight. Dreamline was literally out of this world. The bands music speaks so much to the monumental legacy they have left upon the world of music and to us, the fans, most of all. Their musicianship and chemistry clearly leaves just about any other band in the dust. Its very hard to really grasp what these guys are doing considering where they are in their lives. 40 years! My goodness. Bringing me to what is possibly the awnser to my own question. I think we all, us and the band, are going all in knowing full well we are " only immortal, for a limited time" Thank you Rush, thanks for the memories!
  • Like 8

I just got home last night from the show, was visiting relatives in the vicinity while I was down there. I was disappointed in the crowd, the show was sold out but my section (103) seemed pretty dead for most of the second half of the show. Seemed like there was a lot of people just there for The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer.
  • Like 1

I'm feeling like the reason I'm not seeing any threads for this show is that many of us are on the road taking in these last few shows? I live in between so I'm home tonight, Denver tommorow! I came away from the show last night telling my wife I felt it was the best show I'd seen the band do in the 25 years I've been attending, and I meant it. I'm not sure if its just me, the end of the tour getting to me, my bias or what? It just seemed like everything Rush has to offer was on display at this show. The performance was strong, and yet loose. Neils solo sections were the perfect trip through his entire legacy of licks. Alex was cool and fun, making your ears stand at attention as he can only do. And Ged, the masterfull captain, leading the charge with precision and heart. It wasn't crazy high energy, amazing spurts I've seen so many times, but rather a solid chunk of a live performance for the ages, proving who is truly the heavyweight champion of the galaxy. I was in tears for The Garden, feeling it's modern epic weight. Dreamline was literally out of this world. The bands music speaks so much to the monumental legacy they have left upon the world of music and to us, the fans, most of all. Their musicianship and chemistry clearly leaves just about any other band in the dust. Its very hard to really grasp what these guys are doing considering where they are in their lives. 40 years! My goodness. Bringing me to what is possibly the awnser to my own question. I think we all, us and the band, are going all in knowing full well we are " only immortal, for a limited time" Thank you Rush, thanks for the memories!

I couldn't have said it any better, it was a phenomenal show and I couldn't believe what a bunch of wet blankets were sitting around me. Jeez, it was the Clockwork Angels tour folks. :P Still there were enough of us around there yelling and dancing like nuts. I was struck by the same lyric myself, looking up at the stars and thinking I am so happy I got another show in before it was too late. I truly love this band :yes: :clap: :heart: :heart: :rush:

The meetup before the show was fun, I got meet to some great Rush fans and got a cool souvenir from the Portland show. TRF folks are cool :cool:

p.s. I loved Neil's tribute to the astronaut Neil Armstrong, that one made me look up at the sky again to smile :)

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

I couldn't have said it any better, it was a phenomenal show and I couldn't believe what a bunch of wet blankets were sitting around me. Jeez, it was the Clockwork Angels tour folks. :P Still there were enough of us around there yelling and dancing like nuts. I was struck by the same lyric myself, looking up at the stars and thinking I am so happy I got another show in before it was too late. I truly love this band :yes: :clap: :heart: :heart: :rush:

The meetup before the show was fun, I got meet some great Rush fans and got a cool souvenir from the Portland show. TRF folks are cool :cool:

Rhyta,

I'm glad you had a great time!

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 1

The meetup before the show was fun, I got meet some great Rush fans and got a cool souvenir from the Portland show. TRF folks are cool :cool:

p.s. I loved Neil's tribute to the astronaut Neil Armstrong, that one made me look up at the sky again to smile :)

Of course TRF folks are cool! Did you honestly expect them to be anything other than the best? ;) :LOL:

• Like 1

Of course TRF folks are cool! Did you honestly expect them to be anything other than the best? ;) :LOL:

No I just was nervous since this was my first meetup and didn't know anyone. :blush:

• Like 2

Myself and my buddy both think the Portland show this past Sunday was the best Rush show we'd ever seen. It was his 8th show and my 12th and the only other one that was close was the last show of the 2nd leg of the Time Machine tour at The Gorge July of 2011. What made this most recent one better was Ged's voice. He was better than in '11. Also, Al was really into it too with a lot of flourishes, etc in his solos. My point is that they are really "on" right now it would seem. It could be that they know there's an extended break in front of them or maybe it's the enjoyment of the new material or the strings or ?? I just know they tore it up 5 nights ago and now I'm reading that it was the same in SLC. Good for all of us.

As for audiences, I was proud of the Portland/Vancouver (WA, not B.C.) folks at our show. There weren't any obviously "when are we gonna hear the hits?" people that I saw or heard although Nate said one guy next to him was one of those. But overall, I thought the crowd around me was really into the new stuff, e.g. raising their hands "as if to fly" during CA, etc. I know someone at my work who was unhappy with not hearing "hits", but it was his own fault as I warned him that it was going to be new stuff (even made him a copy of CA in hopes that he'd get into it) and deeper cuts. I think the majority of our audience liked it though.

One thing I do know, the wait for my next Rush concert is going to be interminable.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 2

Here's a much better review of the concert than the Trib...surprise it is the Provo Herald!!

http://www.heraldext...19bb2963f4.html

I agree that the guys were really on, it was a great show :yes: :rush: :haz:

p.s. there were some of us that raised our hands "as if to fly" in SLC :angel:

Edited by Rhyta

Here's a much better review of the concert than the Trib...surprise it is the Provo Herald!!

http://www.heraldext...19bb2963f4.html

I agree that the guys were really on, it was a great show :yes: :rush: :haz:

p.s. there were some of us that raised our hands "as if to fly" in SLC :angel:

Just read the review and my Rush-fever is through the roof. Sad to think that today is the last day of their tour.

Now it's time to wait for the live DVD :)

• Like 1