Neil Peart Hints at a Remastering of Vapor Trails

Jag2112

Guys, someone needs to make a new thread and get it pinned, people need to see this.

I can't wait to share this new wonder, oh the people will all see it's light, let them all hear this great music, I praise the rush name in this night!

(This is accurate, I live in Western Australia)

• Like 1

I don't like buying things twice, but this will be money well spent. The OLV and Earthshine remixes were really good. I doubt it'll win the album any new fans, but I think the ones who were already sold on it will enjoy it more. I'm a big fan of the whole album and can't wait to hear the remix.

Well, it will certainly buy one new fan. I've enjoyed the better mixed love versions, as well as the Retrospective remixes. But the rest of the album I can't listen to.... It hurts my ears a little from the (for lack of a better word, I really don't mean it but I don't have a bett word) bad mixing. But now, I will finally be able to enjoy this album. SWEET MIRACLE, this is not just ONE LITTLE VICTORY. HOW IT KS, compared to how it was, may make me FREEZE with excitement. Perhaps a couple more of the songs will be let OUT OF THE CRADLE and see the lighted stage! Edited by WavesandWindows

I thought they were gonna remix the album, not just remaster it. Hopefully Neil is just being loose with his wording and they remix the songs like they did on Retrospective 3.

The article says remixing:

"The band had recently been overseeing a remixed version of our Vapor Trails album, from 2002, as we had never been happy with how it turned out. I found that trying to listen to those songs again was too upsetting, taking me back to a mindset and emotional state that hadn’t been good to live through then, or to relive now. I had to “recuse” myself from those judgments, and the Guys at Work understood, of course."

They might just be at the
Mastering
portion of the project.

Agreed. It looks as if they were remixing the album, not just remastering it. I'm not excited about that at all. In my opinion, the Retro 3 remixes SUCK! The feel, the punch, the emotive power, and the raw edginess was totally changed on both OLV and ES. I dread imagining what that same treatment would do to the remaining songs on the album. The original mix of the album kicks ass, and should not be touched. I've said this many times before around these parts that it has already been proven a remastering of the original mix can be done successfully. A remastering was done in someone's basement years ago, and the songs sounded so much better without having to touch the mix. I would like to think a professional engineer with all the latest professional equipment at their fingertips would be able to remaster VT brilliantly. This entire remix idea will never make sense to me if the entire album will be like the Retro 3 failures.

I thought they were gonna remix the album, not just remaster it. Hopefully Neil is just being loose with his wording and they remix the songs like they did on Retrospective 3.

"The band had recently been overseeing a remixed version of our Vapor Trails album, from 2002, as we had never been happy with how it turned out. I found that trying to listen to those songs again was too upsetting, taking me back to a mindset and emotional state that hadn’t been good to live through then, or to relive now. I had to “recuse” myself from those judgments, and the Guys at Work understood, of course."

Mastering
portion of the project.

Agreed. It looks as if they were remixing the album, not just remastering it. I'm not excited about that at all. In my opinion, the Retro 3 remixes SUCK! The feel, the punch, the emotive power, and the raw edginess was totally changed on both OLV and ES. I dread imagining what that same treatment would do to the remaining songs on the album. The original mix of the album kicks ass, and should not be touched. I've said this many times before around these parts that it has already been proven a remastering of the original mix can be done successfully. A remastering was done in someone's basement years ago, and the songs sounded so much better without having to touch the mix. I would like to think a professional engineer with all the latest professional equipment at their fingertips would be able to remaster VT brilliantly. This entire remix idea will never make sense to me if the entire album will be like the Retro 3 failures.

Well, in that case, there's always the new iTunes remaster, which I think sounds amazing. So now we'll have the original remastered properly, PLUS an entire new remix. Pick the one you like best!

• Like 1

Mastering
portion of the project.

Well, in that case, there's always the new iTunes remaster, which I think sounds amazing. So now we'll have the original remastered properly, PLUS an entire new remix. Pick the one you like best!

I don't have iTunes. Why couldn't that be packaged and sold on CD?

Mastering
portion of the project.

Though, one cool thing about all this, I find, is it proves that SOMEONE (either Rush themselves, or someone part of their team) does keep an ear open to the fan base.

• Like 2

Mastering
portion of the project.

I don't have iTunes. Why couldn't that be packaged and sold on CD?

You can also buy the remaster on HD Tracks.

http://www.rush.com/category/news/

The Newly Remixed Version Of Vapor Trails And 7-Disc Boxed Set Of Atlantic Studio Albums

Both Are Available On October 1 from Atlantic/Rhino (September 30 internationally)

In 2009, two tracks from VAPOR TRAILS (“One Little Victory” and “Earthshine”) were remixed for the Retrospective III collection, setting you all into a frenzy in anticipation of a possible remixed version of the entire album being released one day. That time has come.

The Vapor Trails Remixed album will be available on CD, Double LP, and digital download on October 1 from Atlantic/Rhino.

“Vapor Trails was an album made under difficult and emotional circumstances – sort of like Rush learning how to be Rush again – and as a result, mistakes were made that we have longed to correct. David Bottrill’s remixes have finally brought some justice and clarity to this deserving body of our work,” says Geddy Lee.

“Every song has been given a new life, from the fire of ‘One Little Victory,’ ‘Secret Touch,’ and ‘Ceiling Unlimited’ to the melodic musicality of ‘Sweet Miracle’ and ‘How It Is’… these songs have been redeemed. Thank you David!”

The remixed version of VAPOR TRAILS will also be included in the new 7-disc boxed set RUSH: THE STUDIO ALBUMS 1989-2007, which features every studio album Rush recorded for Atlantic Records. The collection includes the Gold & Platinum albums Presto (1989), Roll The Bones (1991), Counterparts (1993), and Test For Echo (1996), as well as their covers EP Feedback (2004) and the Billboard Top 5 album Snakes & Arrows (2007). THE STUDIO ALBUMS 1989-2007 features each album presented in a wallet sleeve that faithfully reproduces the original artwork (except for VAPOR TRAILS, which features a reinterpreted version of the original cover) and is also available on October 1 from Atlantic/Rhino.

http://img.rush.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Rush_VaporTrails_Remix_Cover.jpg

Edited by calirush