The Rolling Stones album poll: Which is your favorite? Which is your number 2?

treeduck

Rolling Stone albums: your best and your second best  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Rolling Stones (proper) studio album?

• The Rolling Stones (1964, UK) / England's Newest Hit Makers (1964, US)
    • The Rolling Stones No. 2 (1965, UK) / 12 X 5 (1964, US)
    • The Rolling Stones, Now! (1965, US)
    • Out of Our Heads (1965, UK) / Out of Our Heads (1965, US)
    • December's Children (And Everybody's) (1965, US)
    • Aftermath (1966, UK) / Aftermath (1966, US)
    • Between the Buttons (1967, UK) / Between the Buttons (1967, US)
    • Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)
    • Beggars Banquet (1968)
    • Let It Bleed (1969)
    • Sticky Fingers (1971)
    • Exile on Main St. (1972)
    • Goats Head Soup (1973)
    • It's Only Rock 'n Roll (1974)
    • Black and Blue (1976)
    • Some Girls (1978)
    • Emotional Rescue (1980)
    • Tattoo You (1981)
    • Undercover (1983)
    • Dirty Work (1986)
    • Steel Wheels (1989)
    • Voodoo Lounge (1994)
    • Bridges to Babylon (1997)
    • A Bigger Bang (2005)
    • NONE AT ALL, they suck!
    • I can't choose, so I can't vote for any of the albums
    • They'e not METAL enough for me and Keith sucks!
    • I'm just a casual fan, so I have no idea
    • They've been old since about 1981, I vote OLD MEN WILL BE DEAD MEN
    • I prefer the Who and the Beatles, I like three or four Stones albums doesn't matter which...
    • I live for Mick, every day I think of him!
    • I live to play like Keith, he's the best guitarist in the universe, plus I have no guitar skills
    • I try to play like Keith, I think we match up well, except I'm not good enough, my name is Lonestar Boogie btw, that's my real TRF name!
    • Pleased to eat you hope you guess my aim?
    • Mick looks like tarzan, acts like Jane!
    • Keith looks like cheetah plays like Jane
    • Bill Wyman f*cks Jane (if she's 13)
    • Charlie Watts f*cks Cheetah
    • Ronnie Wood looks like Rod Stewart, plays like Martha Stewart
    • I was born on a 747 jet plane, I was born in the f***ing lion's mane, I was born... I was born... I was born... I was born...
  2. 2. What is your second favourite Rolling Stones (proper) studio album?

• Beggars Banquet (1968)
    • Let It Bleed (1969)
    • Sticky Fingers (1971)
    • Goats Head Soup (1973)
    • Black and Blue (1976)
    • Some Girls (1978)
    • Tattoo You (1981)
    • Undercover (1983)
    • Dirty Work (1986)
    • Steel Wheels (1989)
    • Voodoo Lounge (1994)
    • A Bigger Bang (2005)
    • I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
    • Mick is a dick
    • Keith is a fumbling old fool
    • Charlie is a corpse
    • The Stones are GODS!
    • Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, oh yeah
    • I'm no schoolboy but I know what I like, you should have heard me just around midnight.
    • I was born in tarzan's jungle with Jane
    • I was born in the temple with Kwai Chang Caine
    • I was born in a stinking rat-filled drain!
    • I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born
    • should have seen babycat just around midnight...she was born...
    • babycat was born in an awesome cat's dead brain!
    • pleased to meet you hope you guess babycat's name!
    • I was born...I was born...I was born...I was born...
    • babycat was born...she was born...she was born...
  3. 3. What is your 3rd best Rolling Stones album?

• Beggars Banquet (1968)
    • Let It Bleed (1969)
    • Sticky Fingers (1971)
    • Goats Head Soup (1973)
    • Black and Blue (1976)
    • Some Girls (1978)
    • Tattoo You (1981)
    • Undercover (1983)
    • Dirty Work (1986)
    • Steel Wheels (1989)
    • Voodoo Lounge (1994)
    • A Bigger Bang (2005)
    • Keith was born with broken fingers and he plays like it!
    • Mick was born on a broken window pane
    • Keith is the best guitarist on the planet and always was!
    • I was born in Rolling Stones member's member!
    • The Stones were ancient in 1979
    • sweaty old wrinklies should be pensioned off
    • The Rolling Stones are the crypt keeper allstar band!
    • Charlie Watts is a fossil
    • Keith was born in the year 1869!!
    • The Rolling Stones are responsible for creating Aerosmith!!
    • am I hard enough am I rough enough am I rich enough I'm not too blind to see
    • Just had a horsemeat pie
    • Keith is a brain dead guitar butcher!
    • Bill Wyman was the smartest of the Stones!
    • Rushgoober was born in a vapor trail hurricane!
    • Mick Jagger always wanted to become a woman but he didn't have the stones for it...

This may sound funny or like a contradiction...

... but I think that in spite of how famous, iconic and popular they might be they are, in some ways, still very much under rated musically.

I get what you're saying. They play American R&B and Blues as good as the originators. They mastered the masters, echoed their contemporaries and raised the bar. With that said, I think they've been on autopilot since Some Girls.

I couldn't have said it any better or agree with you more.

Some Girls happens to be my favourite Stones album and agree that they've never been able to top or match it in the 35 years since it was released.

What about Tattoo You?

Tattoo You is an album patched together from earlier outtakes. I like it, but it's not among my personal favorite Stones' albums. And "Start Me Up" is incredibly overrated.

C'mon, I KNOW every time you hear the opening chords to "Start Me Up" your neck starts the funky chicken and then you attempt a series of weirdly effeminate macho steps that includes some very lurid hip moves... :banana: :guitar:

You don't have to project you're private little games on me. Be secure in yourself. Though my rooster dance is a big hit at parties.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Exile was release when I was in high school so I grew up with it. So was Sticky Fingers ... Along with great great songs they have a lot of sentimental value.

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

3. Their Satanic Majesties Request

The big problem with the Stones is they could never make an album consisting solely of great songs without any filler or weaker material.

Really, though, their best album BY FAR is a compilation, even though some of the songs hadn't been released before. This album is phenomenal - one of my faves of all time... it's just not technically a studio album of original material:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/FlowersLP.jpg

Also a compilation, but really this is the only other album everyone NEEDS to own:

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/10383-2/Rolling+Stones+-+Hot+Rocks+_1964-1971_.jpg

Yep, those two albums are the essentials - I know it's not cool to be really into compilations and best of's, but these ones are f*cking killer! :yes: :haz:

as much as I like their 60s and early 70s stuff, I'm tempted to call them a singles band. I can listen to a few of their albums from start to finish, but most of them have at least a couple of tunes I'll skip

interesting choice with satanic majesties, that album's not bad but always struck me as trying to cash in on the sgt pepper/psychedelic craze

I have to agree with this, the Stones are a singles band, their albums are full of mediocre, boring, meh or pseudo southern delta blues songs and their rock songs are very lightweight. Later albums are full of annoying pop tunes and the videos reveal embarrassing Jagger antics. The hits are good though and they've got more than enough of them to fill a couple of setlists if they wanted to, so they've had plenty of tour ammunition for decades. I think the bottom line is their albums are overrated :finbar:

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

The big problem with the Stones is they could never make an album consisting solely of great songs without any filler or weaker material.

Really, though, their best album BY FAR is a compilation, even though some of the songs hadn't been released before. This album is phenomenal - one of my faves of all time... it's just not technically a studio album of original material:

Also a compilation, but really this is the only other album everyone NEEDS to own:

Yep, those two albums are the essentials - I know it's not cool to be really into compilations and best of's, but these ones are f*cking killer! :yes: :haz:

as much as I like their 60s and early 70s stuff, I'm tempted to call them a singles band. I can listen to a few of their albums from start to finish, but most of them have at least a couple of tunes I'll skip

interesting choice with satanic majesties, that album's not bad but always struck me as trying to cash in on the sgt pepper/psychedelic craze

I have to agree with this, the Stones are a singles band, their albums are full of mediocre, boring, meh or pseudo southern delta blues songs and their rock songs are very lightweight. Later albums are full of annoying pop tunes and the videos reveal embarrassing Jagger antics. The hits are good though and they've got more than enough of them to fill a couple of setlists if they wanted to, so they've had plenty of tour ammunition for decades. I think the bottom line is their albums are overrated :finbar:

Agreed, and it's unfortunate that they really don't have one single album that's a stone cold classic since there are always weaker or filler tracks. They have, however, made literally dozens of amazing songs.

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

Agreed, and it's unfortunate that they really don't have one single album that's a stone cold classic since there are always weaker or filler tracks. They have, however, made literally dozens of amazing songs.

For once me and the Goober agree exactly! :o :givebeer:

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

Gee, get the flags out.

1. Let It Bleed

2. Sticky Fingers

Gee, get the flags out.

http://www.traveldestinationsllc.com/images/sanaimg/rolling_stones_The_alamo_san_antonio_texas_1975_union_jack_flag.jpg

Here's a question: do Aerosmith listen to the Stone's "Sway" every time they write one of their bloated ballads, because it sounds like a prototype?

I don't think so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzmz76vfgfs

Not the 70's ballads, the godawful 90's ballads like the ones on Get a Grip, Crazy, Hazy and Daisy, or whatever they're called...

Here's a question: do Aerosmith listen to the Stone's "Sway" every time they write one of their bloated ballads, because it sounds like a prototype?

I don't think so....

Not the 70's ballads, the godawful 90's ballads like the ones on Get a Grip, Crazy, Hazy and Daisy, or whatever they're called...

I agree... Those Tyler ballads are there for bathroom breaks at their concerts. Sorry to say but Aerosmith were much better musically and in concert, when they were strung out on drugs in the 70s.

I don't think so....

I agree... Those Tyler ballads are there for bathroom breaks at their concerts. Sorry to say but Aerosmith were much better musically and in concert, when they were strung out on drugs in the 70s.

Agreed, the 70's albums are the best of Aerosmith, but I do like Rock in a Hard Place and Pump as well. :smoke: :NP: