Has The Ultra-Heavy Version Of Rush Run Its Course?

presto123

Sorry, although the rest of the song has its moments, the opening riff in Carnies is one of Alex's most annoying guitar parts.

Sorry to hear you don't like metal.

:LOL:

Interesting reading through some of these topics and seeing who likes what albums (and how much of those albums they DO like and hate) It would take forever, but I think seeing a thread on each album with a discussion on "what songs you like vs. what songs you DON'T like, explain" might be fun! (and something to do during the next hiatus until the R40-Something tour)

It sounds like it would spark some great conversation and debate. My only thing is I can't stand going back to songs I hate to listen to them and dissect why I hate them any more than what I already remember about why I don't like or hate them. I don't find it any fun to go back and listen to music I don't like. That's why I could never do a full on list of every Rush song in order. I did a list for my top 75, and I could probably do a top 125 if I really wanted to, but the last 30-40 songs would just be in a pile in alpha order because I wouldn't want to go back and listen to see which song was worse than another song. Too unpleasant.

I usually give the whole catalog a listen about once a year... (it's all loaded on my iPod, and I just start at Rush, and let the studio albums play up until CA) (and do the same thing with the live albums...since I just saw them live I have that going on my iPod, and the bootlegs of when I've seen them going in the car)

But I usually give different individual albums that I LOVE an extra listen throughout the year...however, occasionally something weird happens,and I end up playing an album that I'm not overly fond of, like Hold Your Fire or something...like if I read about a song here, and the tune is stuck in my head and the mood strikes me, I'll just play THAT album on a whim... I don't skip songs when I'm listening...I put the whole thing on, and let it run..

Edited by Jaminbenb

Interesting reading through some of these topics and seeing who likes what albums (and how much of those albums they DO like and hate) It would take forever, but I think seeing a thread on each album with a discussion on "what songs you like vs. what songs you DON'T like, explain" might be fun! (and something to do during the next hiatus until the R40-Something tour)

It sounds like it would spark some great conversation and debate. My only thing is I can't stand going back to songs I hate to listen to them and dissect why I hate them any more than what I already remember about why I don't like or hate them. I don't find it any fun to go back and listen to music I don't like. That's why I could never do a full on list of every Rush song in order. I did a list for my top 75, and I could probably do a top 125 if I really wanted to, but the last 30-40 songs would just be in a pile in alpha order because I wouldn't want to go back and listen to see which song was worse than another song. Too unpleasant.

I usually give the whole catalog a listen about once a year... (it's all loaded on my iPod, and I just start at Rush, and let the studio albums play up until CA) (and do the same thing with the live albums...since I just saw them live I have that going on my iPod, and the bootlegs of when I've seen them going in the car)

But I usually give different individual albums that I LOVE an extra listen throughout the year...however, occasionally something weird happens,and I end up playing an album that I'm not overly fond of, like Hold Your Fire or something...like if I read about a song here, and the tune is stuck in my head and the mood strikes me, I'll just play THAT album on a whim... I don't skip songs when I'm listening...I put the whole thing on, and let it run..

i just have too much music and too little time to listen to every rush album once a year when there are a few i just know i don't care for - those 4 albums i gave a LOT of listens to over the years and i just got tired of spending time trying to like an album - if it's that much work, it's just not worth it. music should be enjoyable, not hard work to try and get to know and like. even still i give rush albums i don't like a LOT more chances than any other group - usually an album won't get through a listen or two if i instantly don't like it - with rush i gave them a lot more tries than that. AND, there so much great rush music available, i'd rather focus on their high quality material.

The next phase of RUSh's career will be the death metal period!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

:blaze:

I'm really hoping the boys get tattoos, piercings, all grow their hair out, and start wearing spikes.

And then I'm hoping Alex goes crazy heavy and Geddy starts screaming unintelligible lyrics while sounding like he's possessed by the devil.

I think they've got a few more years left to pull this sort of thing off! :yes:

Anyway, in seriousness. I think Alex is one of the most underrated guitarists and I'd really like to see him shine even more and kind of go back to that sound he had during La Villa Strangiato, Xanadu, By-Tor, etc... That's when I personally feel he sounded the best and enjoy listening his playing the most. (If I'm just concentrating on how he sounds)

• Like 2

i just have too much music and too little time to listen to every rush album once a year when there are a few i just know i don't care for - those 4 albums i gave a LOT of listens to over the years and i just got tired of spending time trying to like an album - if it's that much work, it's just not worth it. music should be enjoyable, not hard work to try and get to know and like. even still i give rush albums i don't like a LOT more chances than any other group - usually an album won't get through a listen or two if i instantly don't like it - with rush i gave them a lot more tries than that. AND, there so much great rush music available, i'd rather focus on their high quality material.

Thing is...the amount of time I spend at the gym, or doing something where I can leave my iPod in is enough for me to be able to DO that... Usually there are times where I just unplug my ear buds, and plug it into my car stereo...My Zappa collection is the one that I can never seem to get through... (now THAT's a LOT of music!)

I hope so. To be perfectly honest, I haven't really liked their live sound since TFE. Different Stages (the first 2 discs) sounds too damn muddy. The problem is since Alex's guitars are so distorted AND Geddy's bass sound is also highly overdriven that both together just cause a wall of noise effect. It's been that way to my ears on every album starting with TFE. Counterparts has lyrics and a theme I don't really care for, but damn was it a good sounding recording. THATS what heavy should sound like. Every album after it seemed like Alex just thought putting down layer after layer of super distorted guitars without the clever songwriting or dynamics they used to do would suffice.

Also, Geddy has lost too much range on his voice to sound really good singing a 'heavy' song. In the '70s he could wail and hit those highs with no problem. Now.....not so much at all. I was cringing listening to him struggle at TSOR during the Rock N Roll HOF performance.

Edited by jnoble

I just hope they keep their dynamics. Clockwork Angels, stellar album as it is, has only around 6db of dynamic range. Seems like it's the way records sound these days, but songwise I don't mind them being heavy
  • Like 1