Another Setlist Thread - Poll

What if Rush had random sets from night to night?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a setlist changing every night,

• Yes
    • No
    • It does not matter

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I have not seen such a thread recently.

So, I've been listening to a ton of Dave Matthews Band lately, and i'm really fond of the idea that their setlists are completely random from night to night, and you have no clue what you are going to get when you arrive at the venue. Now, this would be interesting for the fans who complain about a the setlist over and over again. Think about it: you may get Working Man, Tom Sawyer, TSOR, or you might not get any of those, and you may get a set loaded with obscure tunes from a variety of eras.

For me, this would be aweeeesome. But I know that it won't happen.The poll is simply asking if you are fond of the idea.

So, discuss! Would you rather have the same set every show, or would you be happy if they explored totally random setlists from night to night?

DMB example:

Last night: http://t.co/QFUsuKvn9o

Show previous: http://t.co/VwxfpkkLDv

•  

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx

It would be cool as long as the show I was at got some good tunes played. Let's say the show before mine Rush played A Farewell To Kings, The Weapon and Cut To The Chase and then at my show I got Dog Years, Tai Shan and Superconductor. Sure, it would be cool that I got three rarely played songs but those songs aren't anywhere near as good as the ones they did the other night. This is where rotating sets becomes a problem. Some shows are just gonna get a better selection of songs while others won't. It may leave a lot of fans thinking this city got a better show than mine. At least with the same set everybody gets the same show so there's no reason to feel like you didn't get the same experience as everybody else who saw the tour did.

There is both good and bad when it comes to the idea of rotating setlists every show. But I prefer if a band keeps it the same for the entire tour that way I know i'm getting the same show as everybody else.

It would be cool as long as the show I was at got some good tunes played. Let's say the show before mine Rush played A Farewell To Kings, The Weapon and Cut To The Chase and then at my show I got Dog Years, Tai Shan and Superconductor. Sure, it would be cool that I got three rarely played songs but those songs aren't anywhere near as good as the ones they did the other night. This is where rotating sets becomes a problem. Some shows are just gonna get a better selection of songs while others won't. It may leave a lot of fans thinking this city got a better show than mine. At least with the same set everybody gets the same show so there's no reason to feel like you didn't get the same experience as everybody else who saw the tour did.

There is both good and bad when it comes to the idea of rotating setlists every show. But I prefer if a band keeps it the same for the entire tour that way I know i'm getting the same show as everybody else.

I agree with your general point, but what song is Cut to the Chase better than?

I would love going to the concert and not having any idea of what they were going to play. I try and see them 3 times each tour, and I might bump that up to 5 or 6 if I got different setlists. And just think about the high quality boots we get now. I know you'll be bummed if you don't get the song that you love at that concert, but you would have access to a whole bunch of rarely played songs or songs that get played with the new, more muscular sound of the band. That is a treasure that I simply couldn't give up, no matter how many songs weren't among my favorites at the show I attended.

Rush couldn't do that. Unless they completely drop the production of the Show and lets face it, The Production of the show is a big part of their concerts live. I like what they are doing as of late changing a few songs just give to a different setlist to the fans that see them on several nights.

:codger:

I would like it just from the standpoint of I go to several shows each tour. It would be nice to see something different, but like someone said, that would start a whole new thing to bitch about. Dammit I got Dog Years and last night they played The Necromancer, etc.