Any dog people here who do the BARF diet?

umoveme

Bones And Raw Food.

I recently got a pup and I'm attempting an all raw, no grain diet with him. Any other dog kooks out there?

I used to feed my Standard Poodle a raw diet. She did really well on it. Her teeth were really white and she looked great. Very lean muscle mass and very shiny fur, but it got kind of expensive. So now I feed her a grain free dry food. I used to feed whole fish, organ meats like pork and beef hearts, livers and a lot of chicken quarters. Edited by EagleMoon

I don't go that far but I do make my doggie his own food. He gets chicken breast, chicken liver, barley, oatmeal, carrots, peas, green beans, sweet potato, and green beans.

At first it was really expensive, but now that its been a few weeks, I'm getting a routine down. Whole chicken legs and thighs are cheap in bulk. I do supplement with grain free food though. I haven't mastered getting in all of the necessary veggies in.

I never fed any veggies. Just whole chicken quarters, whole fish and the organ meats. I'm in the camp that believes that dogs are carnivores and don't need vegetables. My dog was never vitamin deficient or anything.
  • Like 1

I used to feed my Standard Poodle a raw diet. She did really well on it. Her teeth were really white and she looked great. Very lean muscle mass and very shiny fur, but it got kind of expensive. So now I feed her a grain free dry food. I used to feed whole fish, organ meats like pork and beef hearts, livers and a lot of chicken quarters.

What brand do you use, now? My breeder swears by Orijen.

I never fed any veggies. Just whole chicken quarters, whole fish and the organ meats. I'm in the camp that believes that dogs are carnivores and don't need vegetables. My dog was never vitamin deficient or anything.

Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores. Cats, on the other hand, are obligate carnivores. You can indeed give a dog too much protein and it's hard on the kidneys (this is one reason why it's not recommended to feed cat food to dogs as a regular diet), though some dogs seem to be able to eat anything and thrive. Most like at least a few varieties of fruits and vegetables; my late cocker spaniel would tear into a grocery bag to get to cantaloupe. Confession: we bought the cantaloupe expressly for the dog. Both my husband and I hate the stuff. My current two are crazy for baby carrots.

I don't do the BARF diet for my two, but everyone I know who does do it is thrilled with the results. I've never heard anything bad about it. Mine do eat grain free food, though - they're on a salmon and sweet potato food.

• Like 1

I wish my boy loved veggies. I have to steam them and sneak them into ground beef.

Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores. Cats, on the other hand, are obligate carnivores. You can indeed give a dog too much protein and it's hard on the kidneys (this is one reason why it's not recommended to feed cat food to dogs as a regular diet), though some dogs seem to be able to eat anything and thrive. Most like at least a few varieties of fruits and vegetables; my late cocker spaniel would tear into a grocery bag to get to cantaloupe. Confession: we bought the cantaloupe expressly for the dog. Both my husband and I hate the stuff. My current two are crazy for baby carrots.

I don't do the BARF diet for my two, but everyone I know who does do it is thrilled with the results. I've never heard anything bad about it. Mine do eat grain free food, though - they're on a salmon and sweet potato food.

I beg to differ. Dogs have no flat grinding molar teeth to eat plants. They aren't designed to graze. Their teeth are sharp tearing tools to rip the flesh of their prey. They are true carnivores, even though the media and dog food companies try to sugar coat it by trying to appeal to our human tastes in food. (To sell their processed foods and put money in their pockets) Feed Fluffy peas and cranberries for a balanced diet. A dogs balanced diet is in the whole animal. And for those who say that wolves will eat the stomach contents of their prey, generally that's not true. They will shake out the contents and eat the stomach itself.

I think if someone is really going for health, the #1 thing to do is avoid any type of grain. I could go on and on and bore everyone, but my breeder (who has bred over 1000 champion dogs) breeds for health and temperment. She has learned over the past 50+ years what makes a healthy dog. She has practically eliminated cancer, hip displasia and many other common dog diseases in her lines since going to the grain free all raw diet. She emphasizes the need for raw bones and the vitamins that come from veggies.

Her philosphy is pretty radical, but her dogs are very healthy and they remain healthy into old age.

She is also against yearly boosters (besides rabies) and she's against spaying or neutering before the dog is into full adulthood. I've been researching and reading for months and many dog enthusiasts agree. Vets tend to get angry at the thought, though.

Edited by umoveme

So does she check antibody titres to determine if her dogs need boosters? That's also becoming more common. Mine are on 3-year boosters, including rabies.

What breed is your new friend? You know you can't come in here talking about a new puppy and not post pictures!

That would be a really expensive diet for 2 big ass dogs (Weimeraner and German Shepherd). They do get bones and fat when we grill and sometimes hot dogs, but gees, It's gotta be close to $150, per month, to feed the big dogs (I try to buy quality dry food for them). I guess it would be cool, if I lived up Narth, to shoot a Moose and them tear it up and eat it?

Maybe I should get some chickens for them to kill?

I beg to differ. Dogs have no flat grinding molar teeth to eat plants. They aren't designed to graze. Their teeth are sharp tearing tools to rip the flesh of their prey. They are true carnivores, even though the media and dog food companies try to sugar coat it by trying to appeal to our human tastes in food. (To sell their processed foods and put money in their pockets) Feed Fluffy peas and cranberries for a balanced diet. A dogs balanced diet is in the whole animal. And for those who say that wolves will eat the stomach contents of their prey, generally that's not true. They will shake out the contents and eat the stomach itself.

In Mara's defense, I think she may have been referring to fruit. It would be hard for me to believe that a wolf would NOT eat some berries, in the summer, in the wild.
  • Like 1

In Mara's defense, I think she may have been referring to fruit. It would be hard for me to believe that a wolf would NOT eat some berries, in the summer, in the wild.

Truth. They're not grazers, obviously, but they'll eat fruit when it's available and they need some of the nutrients found in plant sourced foods.

I'm not talking about the dumbass animal rights whackos who try to make vegans out of pets (look it up, it's true).

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Giant Schnauzer. His name is Ruckus. 5 1/2 months.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo341/jbugboogie/8946f38861de3bea1e28ea604fd459fb.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo341/jbugboogie/63b942fb0999d5d92d0fb940784f143b.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo341/jbugboogie/0cce6efdf99473d1fdbd76bbdfeefc9b.jpg

Is Ruckus from Skansen? What you were saying above sounds like what Silvia does. I almost bought a Giant from her but then decided to go with the Standard Schnauzer rather than the Giant. Edited by EagleMoon

Yes! Skansen. I have a standard as well. She's 13. Best dog I've ever had!

Tell me about your standard.

WOW, my dad and stepmother have had 3 standards! Harrigan (Harry) was the first - he had the longest set of canines I ever saw on a dog. He was a real sweetheart but had a thing for tires. If they weren't careful and let him have access to the driveway, he'd sink those fangs into the tires of any unfamiliar car parked there. Their own cars were safe. One night they had friends over for dinner who'd just bought a brand new Lexus; when they left they discovered that Harry had flattened all 4 tires.

Next up was McGee, who had quite a trick repertoire. My favorite: Dad would tell him, "McGee, don't touch my hat!", and McGee would jump up and grab the cap off Dad's head. Also a sweetie.

Maggie is the current one, and the first black standard I've known. She's considerably more hyperactive than her two predecessors, and I don't think she's quite as smart as they were, but she's got an adorable personality. She came from a breeder in FL; not sure of the other two.

The vet I worked for years ago had a client who had 3 Skansen giants; they were farm dogs and had fantastic personalities. We also had one client who got a pup from the El Lobo kennel in Florida. Yoda was supposed to be a show dog, but he retained a testicle and ended up getting neutered. (I think the owner was somewhat relieved; she sort of didn't know what she was getting into with the dog show world).

Umoveme, your guy is beautiful! I love his silver markings. Thanks for pics and keep us updated. :)

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

Yes! Skansen. I have a standard as well. She's 13. Best dog I've ever had!

Tell me about your standard.

Mine is 13 months old this month. He's a sweetie. Smartest dog I've ever had. There's a lady near me who breeds merle schnauzers. It's not a recognized color, but I love the way her dogs look. People always comment on his color and markings since they're so unusual. I had a miniature schnauzer when I was a kid and that was an awesome dog as well. But miniatures have so many health problems. My sister lost a mini at a fairly young age and I didn't want to have to go through that. I talked to Sylvia quite a bit about her giants and her standards, I almost bought pepper/salt giant but then decided to go with something smaller. Here are a couple of pictures of him.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/image_zpsa4b8b05a.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/image_zps403f16da.jpg

Edited by EagleMoon

So cute^^^^

My standard is black. Great personality. Loves everyone and everything. I dabbled in obedience and agility with her. She got sick with a weird autoimmune thing in March, but she's doing well with steroids.