Arrested Development Season 4 (spoilers)

KenJennings

So, I was pretty disappointed by the new season of Arrested Development. I think the fundamental problem was with the way it was filmed. Since they couldn't get all of the actors together at any given time, it needed to be edited together, and episodes each followed individual characters, rather than the family as a unit. It made the show feel really ripped apart and uncohesive. Also, the plot seemed unfinished and ill-planned- there's basically no beginning, middle, or end. It offers no closure, and in fact leaves you needing more answers than you needed after the end of the original run.

There was no 'Bluth family' in the new season. It was just all of these people who happen to run into eachother occasionally. The characters aren't even driven to maintain the family. They are all just in it for themselves. They just don't feel like the same characters.

Ultimately, there were some good, classic-AD style jokes. Tobias' "ANUSTART" license plate, GOB joining an entourage at a nightclub called "and JEREMY PIVEN". Tobias' acting lessons at "Method One Clinic". The literal doctor returning to give Buster a hand.

And seriously, a Herman Cain parody? Is Herman Cain even still remotely relevant??

I'm on episode 7, hoping it would get better, but nope. I turned it off once the blasphemy set in on GOB's episode. I'm all for joking around, but this just wasn't funny...none of it's really funny.

Very disappointed. :(

And for Michael? He was the smart one in the original run of the show...what the hell happened to him? His character is even more bizarre than the rest of them this season.

And for Michael? He was the smart one in the original run of the show...what the hell happened to him? His character is even more bizarre than the rest of them this season.

I think that they're trying to show that without his family and their business to take care of, Michael is just as lost and messed up as the rest of them. I've watched through the ninth episode and I am enjoying it. I think the way all the characters are bumping into each other throughout their individual stories has been well written. There is something missing with the Bluth family not being together though. What made the show so funny was their interactions with each other. Without that it's not as funny as it could be. If this season is a success, hopefully all the actors can clear their schedules so the family can be together again for possible future seasons.

I think that they're trying to show that without his family and their business to take care of, Michael is just as lost and messed up as the rest of them. I've watched through the ninth episode and I am enjoying it. I think the way all the characters are bumping into each other throughout their individual stories has been well written. There is something missing with the Bluth family not being together though. What made the show so funny was their interactions with each other. Without that it's not as funny as it could be. If this season is a success, hopefully all the actors can clear their schedules so the family can be together again for possible future seasons.

it's not like they were out doing anything better than arrested development to begin with!

it's not like they were out doing anything better than arrested development to begin with!

Well, that's not really the point. I don't know how the acting world works but it seems when someone commits to a movie or TV project it's done many months, possibly a year ahead of time. So, regardless of weather or not what they were doing was better than Arrested Development or not, the cast still had other things they agreed to do before the show revival happened.

It's been hit & miss for me. Tobias, as usual, never fails to make me laugh and Lucille 1 is funny but the ostrich thing is odd & forced. It retains enough AD quirkiness to tickle my fancy but its definitely not the same level of hilarity.

I agree, Michael seems more like Buster than Michael...not sure why they messed with his character so much.