XBox One

furie

It's stupid. I used to be a huge Xbox fan and it's been going downhill starting a couple years ago.

Still interested in hearing what Valve's console will be. All I know is that a lot of the games on my Steam account would be awesome on the big screen.

Aside from it not being backward-compatible with 360 games, it looks like a serious machine! Maybe even a true all-in-one media console.

http://reviews.cnet.com/microsoft-xbox-one/

• They will continue to have the xbox live subscription
  • Games will be installed to your profile, you will need your profile to play them at a friends house, lending a game to a friend will force them to pay full price if they want to play the thing without your profile
  • There are lots of TV things that will be great in the USA, but the rest of the world will have a lot of useless menu screens (I'm not in the US, and I don't care for watching TV a whole lot)
  • There will be 9 new IP games released in the first year, one of them was part of all the pre-rendered trailers (girl teleporting a boat by touching someone's ear)
  • No backwards compatibility whatsoever, this includes XBLA titles

Unless they make a Rock Band sequel which gives me access to all 500+ of my current songs that I have on Rock Band 3, I'm building a PC. It's quite obvious their target audience is solely in the USA because none of those services exist outside of it. As it stands I only use maybe 3 icons + the settings button on the xbox menu. I'm guessing their going to keep their paywall for all of those things given that live subscriptions are continuing.

It reminds me of how cocky and unwilling to prove anything Sony was at the beginning of this generation of consoles when they thought everyone would be on board even with the price tag and difficult development because they dominated the previous generation.

I'm done with consoles. The WiiU at least has a great idea that can be used very creatively. It's just a shame that it lacks in games because the system forces devs away from the safe, graphics awesome/setpiece riddled formula for action games and into a mindset that focuses more on delivering unique and create experiences.

Time to build a PC.

I bought my boys a Xbox 360 when Halo 3 came out. I also bought my first lcd at the same time so Christmas was crazy that year. Unfortunately the fun over the years I guess is ending. I don't like the idea of having to install every game on the hard drive to play it. I don't like the fact that you can't even give someone in your home the game to play in another room without paying for the game for that account. I was already mad at $ for killing off Xbox live family. Now I know the reason why. With up for four accounts on a family plan $ might lose money that they can make on a game by charging for each individual account. Specific details are not finalized but from what I've seen I will steer my family away from Xbox products in the future. Edited by calirush

I bought my boys a Xbox 360 when Halo 3 came out. I also bought my first lcd at the same time so Christmas was crazy that year. Unfortunately the fun over the years I guess is ending. I don't like the idea of having to install every game on the hard drive to play it. I don't like the fact that you can't even give someone in your home the game to play in another room without paying for the game for that account. I was already mad at $ for killing off Xbox live family. Now I know the reason why. With up for four accounts on a family plan $ might lose money that they can make on a game by charging for each individual account. Specific details are not finalized but from what I've seen I will steer my family away from Xbox products in the future.

I've been thinking the same. Nothing has given me quite the same thrill as when I first experienced real 3D games with Mario 64. However, a friend of mine who feels the same way was lucky enough to try an occulus rift at a convention. He said once you get past the first few minutes of motion sickness, you get the same thrill as back in the day. It's not that we've been exposed to too much of one thing, it's that innovation requires investment and risk which very few people in the industry will even contemplate.

There are other long reaching issues I'm worried about. PC gaming has had media control for awhile but has never been a staple of places like Target and Best Buy. I don't know about anyone else but Brick and Mortar retail stores are disappearing so what is going to be out there as far a retail market jobs go in the future? If everything like games do go to digital what will be left to keep these stores open? I don't like to buy everything online. I like to go out and see things once and awhile talking to live people for information. Pretty soon we'll be like "Demolition Man" where we won't have to take our clothes off for sex.

I think you may be going overboard just a touch.

For this specifically probably but I've been thinking about the disappearing retail for awhile.

For this specifically probably but I've been thinking about the disappearing retail for awhile.

I think retail is here to stay for things you need to see in person before buying like clothes, fruits/vegetables, etc. Retail is disappearing because of it's inability to compete with even online retailers. For instance, I love having physical copies of books and games, but why should I waste gas, time and more money to buy the latest version of Rock Band or the newest volume of <comic book> when I can get the exact same thing at amazon for $5 cheaper and have it delivered in a few days? Retail, like radio is killing itself because of its own greedy practices.

Now, in this specific case of developers and game consoles wanting to cut out the middle man, frankly I don't like the idea of digital games for consoles. The reason I've stuck to consoles for so long is because of the personal aspect to consoles. You can buy a game, lend it to a friend, bring it to their house along with a controller, pop it in and go. Digital releases mean I can't do that any more, I'll need to recover my profile, install the game and/or download it first. I don't want to do that, most of the time we don't use our gamer tags because everything we need is unlocked from the get go and no significant progress is saved for the games we play.

PC has always been more solitary. Sure you can move PCs around but unless everyone's got a laptop it's a pain to organize a LAN party (even that's disappearing since nobody enables LAN on their games any more). Truth be told I think it's a bit early to judge if it will be the end of retail games because every console gamer I know has stuck to consoles because it's so great and easy to start something on the couch (anyone's couch with anyone's game) with friends. There has been a lot of negative response to this by the online community because it's a feature that is expected of consoles for that reason. I'm sure we'll get more details at E3 but I'm reserving my final judgement for 6-12 months after the consoles are released because so long as these consoles aren't being mass produced yet it would be very easy to change this before production begins. Even afterwards, with how extensive a firmware can be modified chances are they'd likely be able to patch out certain DRM features depending on how extensively hard coded the protection is. It's far too early to judge a generation. The last generation around E3 people were certain that Nintendo would make a huge comeback with this amazing motion control technology they had (they promised 1:1 lightsaber fights, something that still couldn't be realized with the motionplus add on) and that Sony had completely missed the mark with their monstrosity of an overpriced machine.

Things change between pre-E3 and console launch and 1+ year later.

Not like it'll matter much to Micro$oft, but I sure as hell am not buying that thing.

Why OH WHY are they still making new consoles that aren't backwards-compatable? That's total B.S. And how do you think this'll effect the whole used game market at Gamestop and etc? Here, buy this XBOX ONE used Halo 8 but just remember you'll have to pay for it again when you get home to play it.

Wow, is it any wonder I still play NES and SNES games?

I think retail is here to stay for things you need to see in person before buying like clothes, fruits/vegetables, etc. Retail is disappearing because of it's inability to compete with even online retailers. For instance, I love having physical copies of books and games, but why should I waste gas, time and more money to buy the latest version of Rock Band or the newest volume of <comic book> when I can get the exact same thing at amazon for $5 cheaper and have it delivered in a few days? Retail, like radio is killing itself because of its own greedy practices.

Now, in this specific case of developers and game consoles wanting to cut out the middle man, frankly I don't like the idea of digital games for consoles. The reason I've stuck to consoles for so long is because of the personal aspect to consoles. You can buy a game, lend it to a friend, bring it to their house along with a controller, pop it in and go. Digital releases mean I can't do that any more, I'll need to recover my profile, install the game and/or download it first. I don't want to do that, most of the time we don't use our gamer tags because everything we need is unlocked from the get go and no significant progress is saved for the games we play.

PC has always been more solitary. Sure you can move PCs around but unless everyone's got a laptop it's a pain to organize a LAN party (even that's disappearing since nobody enables LAN on their games any more). Truth be told I think it's a bit early to judge if it will be the end of retail games because every console gamer I know has stuck to consoles because it's so great and easy to start something on the couch (anyone's couch with anyone's game) with friends. There has been a lot of negative response to this by the online community because it's a feature that is expected of consoles for that reason. I'm sure we'll get more details at E3 but I'm reserving my final judgement for 6-12 months after the consoles are released because so long as these consoles aren't being mass produced yet it would be very easy to change this before production begins. Even afterwards, with how extensive a firmware can be modified chances are they'd likely be able to patch out certain DRM features depending on how extensively hard coded the protection is. It's far too early to judge a generation. The last generation around E3 people were certain that Nintendo would make a huge comeback with this amazing motion control technology they had (they promised 1:1 lightsaber fights, something that still couldn't be realized with the motionplus add on) and that Sony had completely missed the mark with their monstrosity of an overpriced machine.

It's more about costs of doing business. Retail stores have been falling one by one for years and it is troubling in the sense that what is going to be left. Are we going to price ourselves into just sitting at home plugged in like the Matrix?

It's more about costs of doing business. Retail stores have been falling one by one for years and it is troubling in the sense that what is going to be left. Are we going to price ourselves into just sitting at home plugged in like the Matrix?

I'm fine with less errands to the mall. I don't enjoy shopping. Frankly I'd rather spend that time doing other things outside the house.

• Like 1

I've played CoD and FIFA religiously for the past 5 years, and personally i'm a believer that the gaming industry needs something new, not something updated. CoD has gotten more popular, but the gameplay has gotten more boring over the years, chasing all the CoD 2 and CoD 4 players away. I was 13-14 back in 07 and 08, and would spend so much time with my friends on CoD, because it was the thing to do, if you weren't playing a sport or doing something musical... Now that i'm about to go to college, I've found PC gaming much better. I don't think i'm getting this console, and i'll just keep my 360 for antique purposes. Been enjoying RPGs lately. I will still play sports games on the 360, though.

the more i read about the xbox one the more i'm leaning toward ps4 for my next console.

Same, but now the more I read about the PS4 the more I realize that a PC is cheaper and basically does the same (but I don't need a subscription for multiplayer).

http://www.geekbinge.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Xbox-One-Seven-GIF.gif

Saw this somewhere else, cried laughing.