ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION

=21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

=12

Chicken or egg here? Was this the reason for 2112, or were those lines made to fit into the pattern??

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.

=21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

=12

Chicken or egg here? Was this the reason for 2112, or were those lines made to fit into the pattern??

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.

Perzactly!

Because 2+1 =3 and 1+2=3

So... 33.

Illuminati Masonic number.

Clearly Rush is part of MK Ultra and we're all listening to devil worship, duh.

Edited by gangsterfurious

=21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

=12

Or a third possibility: coincidence?

• Like 1

=21

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

=12

Or a third possibility: coincidence?

It aint no co-ink-a-dink

• Like 1

I think there are two "reasons" for choosing that year: first, it had a nice ring to it - "twenty-one-twelve." Second, it plays into Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture," which the 2112 Overture quotes.

Some will tell you "21" is military time for "9 o'clock PM," that "9" then translates to the ninth month of the year (September), and that the "12" is for the twelfth day of September... giving us September 12th, Neil's birthday. I don't buy this convoluted theory. I think it's overthinking things; going to extreme measures to create meaning from randomness.

• Like 1

I think there are two "reasons" for choosing that year: first, it had a nice ring to it - "twenty-one-twelve." Second, it plays into Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture," which the 2112 Overture quotes.

Some will tell you "21" is military time for "9 o'clock PM," that "9" then translates to the ninth month of the year (September), and that the "12" is for the twelfth day of September... giving us September 12th, Neil's birthday. I don't buy this convoluted theory. I think it's overthinking things; going to extreme measures to create meaning from randomness.

It only has a "nice ring" to it because you are incredibly used to having it embedded in your pop culture consciousness. Does 1714 have a nice ring to it? Not really, but I bet if it were a famous year (or title), like 1812 or 2112, it would be just the same in retrospect. "Nice ring" is only relevant from your point in time/space.

The simplest explanation is usually the best and that's likely the Tchaikovsky connection, yet while most of the numerological theories are likely bunk, they are still interesting and fun to ponder. Math is fun!

Edited by mrvander

It only has a "nice ring" to it because you are incredibly used to having it embedded in your pop culture consciousness. Does 1714 have a nice ring to it? Not really, but I bet if it were a famous year (or title), like 1812 or 2112, it would be just the same in retrospect. "Nice ring" is only relevant from your point in time/space.

Maybe I am only thinking it has a "nice ring" in retrospect. But even if I am, the band still could've thought it had a "nice ring" when they chose it. And it's "why did the band choose that number" that we're discussing.

Toto were once asked why they chose "99" as the title of their hit song. In the song, the singer is in love with a girl (perhaps an android girl) in a futuristic society - a girl who is numbered rather than named. ("You know i love you, Ninety-nine.") Why did the band choose 99, when any number would've done? Their answer: because it had a good ring to it, and it fit the music.

You say the simplest explanation is probably the correct one, and I agree. Ask yourself if it can get any simpler than what I'm saying...

Q: Why did the band choose the number "2112"?

A: Because they liked the sound of it.

Edited by GeddyRulz

And, 2112 is a palindrome. As is 1001001.

I recall Neil talking about this, but for the life of me I can't find it.

This. This is what I was going to say: it's a palindromic number, and I also recall there being talk about this being a reason why '2112' was chosen. I don't know the significance of its palidromicness (there's a word for ya!), but palindromes are supposed to be kind of special.

So, maybe a combination of the 1812 Overture, the ones indicating self, and a palindromic number for specialness, or something.

As for the syllable numbers in the "Attention all planets..." part, I wonder if that's coincidence. It seems a bit far-fetched to purposely create this to fit a number scheme, and also a bit coincidental to find out after the fact that it does fit the number scheme. It seems a bit weird to count up the syllables and decide to make the year based on this number, but yet, the coincidence is pretty impressive.

I think maybe they just wanted something that sounded cool, and looked cool on an album cover, and was memorable (2174, say, wouldn't have been so memorable, would it?).