RIP Jeff Hanneman

hobo73

I'm no doctor, but the liver can be destroyed by the toxins of this type of spider, in rare cases, if info proves correct.

Drinking alcohol certainly doesn't help.

The toxins that ate his arm would have to of been processed through the blood via his liver and kidneys - no small feat.

R.I.P.

This was terrible news. I wasn't giant Slayer fan but back in my High School days I got into them for a few years and Seasons in the Abyss is still a great album.

Oh and also,

The Angel of Death guitar riff in the middle is the most killer riff in all metal IMO.

• Like 2

(Sorry I can't help it, and well I don't care, Jeff deserves many quality tributes like this. This time from Alex Skolnick of Testament).

"What separated Jeff from the rest of the metal pack was his rhythm technique, his songwriting, and that for which he will be most remembered — his riffs.

It was L.A.'s hottest day of the year, soon to segue into one of metal's biggest nights—the Revolver Golden God Awards fifth-anniversary show—when a very sad rumor spread amongst those of us in town to attend the event. Soon it would be confirmed as true via an official statement from Slayer: Founding guitarist Jeff Hanneman—who'd suffered from a tragic necrotizing fasciitis infection that prevented him from playing with Slayer since early 2011—had passed away a few hours earlier from liver failure. The world had just lost a voice hugely influential in metal and beyond.

Jeff had a subtle sense of humor that was all his own, and though he was a bit more reserved than the rest of the Slayer camp, he viewed life as a party to be enjoyed to its fullest. Much of what Jeff’s loved ones and fans appreciated about him was his steadfast and genuine style—the fact that he didn’t stray from his own vision. In Jon Wiederhorn and Katherine Turman’s Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal, Jeff is quoted, “I tried to emulate what [well-known shredders] did and really grow as a guitarist. Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’” But as legions of dedicated Slayer fans the world over would attest, Jeff’s portrayal of himself as marginally talented is completely inaccurate. A more apt description could be summed up in one word, "immense."

What separated Jeff from the rest of the metal pack was his rhythm technique, his songwriting, and that for which he will be most remembered—his riffs. But his frenzied, turbulent solos were also an important part of the package. They weren’t about showing off. They served a greater artistic purpose—to sonically channel the qualities of Slayer’s lyrical content. They were sometimes abrasive, sometimes jarring, and at times disturbing. They had less in common with typical rock-guitar virtuosos than they did with the sonic collages of avant-garde improvisers such as Derek Bailey and John Zorn, the latter of whom is a self-professed Slayer fan who has cited the band as an inspiration. Though Jeff’s wider, more holistic guitar approach didn’t garner the same accolades as some of his more technically proficient contemporaries, Jeff never waivered from his original approach. And the fact that he continued to attack his guitar with relentless abandon—as though he were a linebacker on his beloved Oakland Raiders (whose logo adorned some of his signature ESP guitars)—is without a doubt a big part of why Slayer’s music will always be deemed one of metal’s high watermarks.

If you’ve ever seen Slayer live, you’ve felt exactly what propelled the band’s popularity past those of Venom and other classic-metal influences. In fact, prior to Hanneman and his bandmates’ groundbreaking albums—including 1986’s bar-setting Reign in Blood—many believed metal could never reach such levels of popularity and fan dedication. Before Slayer, metal had never had such razor-sharp articulation, tightness, and balance between sound and stops. This all-out sonic assault was about the shock, the screams, the drums, and—again, most importantly—the riffs. And it was Hanneman who brought so many of the band’s timeless riffs.

Of course, one cannot dismiss the voracious riff and song output of co-guitarist Kerry King, who, with his giant spiked wristbands, goatee, and shaved, tattooed head, essentially became the “face of Slayer.” But if you took a poll of the band’s fans—from dedicated concertgoers to peers and professional music journalists—their favorite Slayer songs would likely be dominated by pulverizing Hanneman gems like “Angel of Death,” “Raining Blood,” “South of Heaven,” “War Ensemble,” “Dead Skin Mask,” “Seasons in the Abyss,” and “Die by the Sword.” To many fans of heavy music, these songs and riffs aren’t just definitive of the band, but of metal itself.

Had Jeff recovered from his medical challenges, one can fully envision him confronting his demons head-on with songs about spider bites, skin grafts, and flesh-eating bacteria. Tragically, all we are left with is his memory and monumental songs and riffs that will reign in metal fans’ blood forever. By being true to himself and expressing his own unique style, Jeff Hanneman ended up doing what most musicians will never do—he impacted music in such a way that an entire genre will never be the same".

This was terrible news. I wasn't giant Slayer fan but back in my High School days I got into them for a few years and Seasons in the Abyss is still a great album.

Oh and also,

The Angel of Death guitar riff in the middle is the most killer riff in all metal IMO.

One of the best tunes period!

Just keep reading how important this guy was FFS.

"I enjoyed Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, Black Flag and the Germs with him. My drumming was getting faster and Jeff was writing original songs with a Punk attitude. The fusion of Heavy Metal and Punk took over Slayers early mediocre style, hence a new force was born. Thank you Jeff for your inspiring discovery of Punk rock that has continued to shape my personal drumming style". Dave Lombardo

Edited by Steevo

On Thursday, May 9 — exactly a week after Slayer's Jeff Hanneman died of liver failure at age 49 — the band released an update on the facts surrounding the guitarist's death.

The statement revealed Hanneman's official cause of death: alcohol-related cirrhosis, an irreversible scarring of the liver.

"While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life," reads the statement.

"Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving. He was excited and looking forward to working on a new record."

In the same press release, Slayer announced that a public memorial in Hanneman's honor will take place later this month at a still-to-be-determined date and location.

"While the details are being worked out now, Slayer wants its fans to know that there will be a celebration of Jeff Hanneman's life sometime later this month, along with Jeff's family and friends, the public will be invited to attend. More information will be posted on slayer.net soon.

"Kerry King and Tom Araya are trying to deal with the loss of their brother by remembering some the good times they shared.

KERRY: "I had so many great times with Jeff ... in the early days when we were out on the road, he and I were the night owls, we would stay up all night on the bus, just hanging out, talking, watching movies ... World War II movies, horror movies, we watched Full Metal Jacket so many times, we could practically recite all of the dialogue."

TOM: "When we first formed Slayer, we used to rehearse all the time, religiously, 24/7. Jeff and I spent a lot of time hanging out together, he lived in my father's garage which was also our rehearsal space. When he got his own apartment, he had an 8-track and I would go there to record songs I'd written, not Slayer songs, other stuff I'd written. At a certain point, you still have the band but you start your own lives outside of the band, so that 24/7 falls to the side, you don't spend as much time together as you once did. I miss those early days."

KERRY: "He was a gigantic World War II buff, his father served in that war, so when Slayer played Russia for the first time — I think it was 1998 — Jeff and I went to one of Moscow's military museums. I'll never forget him walking around that place, looking at all of the tanks, weapons and other exhibits. He was like a kid on Christmas morning. But that was Jeff's thing, he knew so much about WW II history, he could have taught it in school."

TOM: "We were in New York recording South of Heaven. Jeff and I were at the hotel and we had to get to the studio — I think it was called Chung King, a real rundown place. So we left the hotel and decided to walk, but then it started raining. We walked maybe five blocks, and it was raining so hard, we were totally soaked, so we decided to get a cab. Here we are, two dudes with long hair and leather jackets, absolutely soaked, thumbing to the studio. No one would stop. We had to walk the entire way. Jeff was a lifeline of Slayer, he wrote so many of the songs that the band will always be known for. He had a good heart, he was a good guy."

The way he referred to Jeff, "C'mon this guy played in Slayer!" makes it sound like John Dette (mid-90s interrim drummer) just died. Not to say one human life is more important than another, but f—k! He totally downplays the relevance and magnitude of this tragedy. Slayer's glaringly best song writer is dead. Even if Jeff was too zonked out to record the rhythms on the last 2 albums, Hanneman still wrote his share, and the very best from every album are typically his. Zonked out? Yeah, I think this cat checked out years ago. His live performance was weak in the 00's—he didn't play with the live precision like he used to. Tom and Kerry, before his death, both alluded that if Jeff took better care of himself, his recovery would be speedier. Liver failure, reclusive ways—its not hard to put this one together. Its just sad. I finally listened to, no BLASTED Slayer today on the freeway. Metal will never be the same.

My husband drove home from work that night BLASTING Slayer at full volume, I heard South Of Heaven from down the road. He was very upset after I told him what happened.

The Jeff Hanneman Memorial Celebration will take place on Thursday, May 23 at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles from 3:30 - 7:30PM. Hanneman passed away on May 2 at the age of 49.

The Memorial Celebration will be free and open to the public on a first-come, first-in basis (subject to venue capacity). All ages are welcome, and paid parking will be available around the venue.

Jeff Hanneman helped shape Slayer's uncompromising thrash-metal sound as well as an entire genre of music. His riffs of fury and punk-rock attitude were heard in the songs he wrote, including Slayer classics "Angel of Death," "Raining Blood," "South of Heaven" and "War Ensemble." Hanneman co-founded Slayer with fellow-guitarist Kerry King, bassist Tom Araya and drummer Dave Lombardo in Huntington Park, CA in 1981. For more than 30 years, Hanneman was the band member who stayed out of the spotlight, rarely did interviews, amassed an impressive collection of World War II memorabilia, was with his wife Kathy for nearly three decades, shut off his phone and went incommunicado when he was home from tour, did not want to be on the road too late into any December as Christmas was his favorite holiday, and, from the time he was about 12 years old, woke up every, single day with one thing on his mind: playing the guitar.

It was once suggested to Slayer that if they would write "just one mainstream song that could get on the radio," they would likely sell millions of records and change the commercial course of their career, similar to what had happened to Metallica with 1993's "Enter Sandman." Jeff was the first to draw a line of integrity in the sand, replying, "We're going to make a Slayer record. If you can get it on the radio, fine, if not, then f**k it."

^^^ I really do know what you mean, it's just the way he is, he aint never gonna change.

He's just a prick- plain and simple. I was a little annoyed at the crowd and their Kerry King chant too. Did Tom show up?

:LOL: Right. It gets really annoying with the crowd sometimes but I guess it's to be expected. I really wanted Tom and Dave to say a few words instead of him, but from what I've read and seen, nothing. That was a bit of a letdown, I guess they had their reasons.

^^^ I really do know what you mean, it's just the way he is, he aint never gonna change.

He's just a prick- plain and simple. I was a little annoyed at the crowd and their Kerry King chant too. Did Tom show up?

:LOL: Right. It gets really annoying with the crowd sometimes but I guess it's to be expected. I really wanted Tom and Dave to say a few words instead of him, but from what I've read and seen, nothing. That was a bit of a letdown, I guess they had their reasons.

I just found it a little disrespectful- it should've been about Jeff and instead we get the dumb Kerry fukkin king chant! To me Jeff WAS Slayer, he wrote all their best songs and was the far better guitarist. He didn't do many interviews, but all the ones I've seen he comes across as just a laid back cool guy. Not a dick like you know who.

I just found it a little disrespectful- it should've been about Jeff and instead we get the dumb Kerry fukkin king chant! To me Jeff WAS Slayer, he wrote all their best songs and was the far better guitarist. He didn't do many interviews, but all the ones I've seen he comes across as just a laid back cool guy. Not a dick like you know who.

I hear ya. It was a fairly lame affair overall and Jeff really deserved more respect, considering how much worth he gave to the that band (and the genre). And wtf was King's last comment about about "sounding like Tom" all about? Maybe I'm not hearing it right but it didn't sound cool to my ears :huh:

I hear ya. It was a fairly lame affair overall and Jeff really deserved more respect, considering how much worth he gave to the that band (and the genre). And wtf was King's last comment about about "sounding like Tom" all about? Maybe I'm not hearing it right but it didn't sound cool to my ears :huh:

Yea, he definitely said something with Tom. I couldn't make out what it was either. Well, the last few interviews before Jeff died all I heard was Kerry praising Gary Holt's playing- now I guess he'll be a permanent member. First Dave gets the boot and now Jeff- Slayer is dead!!!!

Yea, he definitely said something with Tom. I couldn't make out what it was either. Well, the last few interviews before Jeff died all I heard was Kerry praising Gary Holt's playing- now I guess he'll be a permanent member. First Dave gets the boot and now Jeff- Slayer is dead!!!!

The saddest thing is there was at least some more of Jeff coming through on the last album and it was hoped there would be a continuation to the next. Who really wanted just another KK dominated Slayer album, it's the same shit over and over. There was a hope that they could get some more of the oldschool Slayer back with the right producer. That's what's really sad about what happened with Jeff. I don't know why Tom would even think about carrying on now under the Slayer name, it just needs to finally rest.

• Like 1

The saddest thing is there was at least some more of Jeff coming through on the last album and it was hoped there would be a continuation to the next. Who really wanted just another KK dominated Slayer album, it's the same shit over and over. There was a hope that they could get some more of the oldschool Slayer back with the right producer. That's what's really sad about what happened with Jeff. I don't know why Tom would even think about carrying on now under the Slayer name, it just needs to finally rest.

just

Yea, World Painted Blood did show some promise after the disappointment of Christ Illusion. As much as I like Tom I feel that he's just Kerry's puppet at this point.