Live Flubs, Mistakes, and Trainwrecks By Rush(or funny moments)

presto123

I have seen Rush like 35 times and they are always excellent and I've always been blown away but I have seen my fair share of "flubs". Anybody else see any trainwrecks? Minor flubs? It would be fun to list them. I saw Neil get so lost(out of time) with the other two playing Natural Science in Dayton that he actually stopped playing for a second to get his bearings. LOL It was on the T4E tour. Who knows if it was Neil's fault or somebody else's but I got a kick out of the moment as it doesn't happen often. Feel free to list yours:)

Wasn't a flub, per se, but in Newark Neil's bass drum pedal was all wonky and part of The Big Money was without a bass pedal. They stopped for a moment after the song and fixed it. Sadly it wasn't long enough to be entertained by Alex. :(

Not really a flub, but a technical glitch. In Calgary, on the S&A tour, Neil's kit wouldn't rotate so he did the electronic part of the solo with his back to the crowd. Edited by P-Tor

When I saw them in Edmonton in September Neil broke a stick, stopped for a two seconds and then tossed it in front of the drum set before carrying on.

That's unusual. Usually a drummer is able to discard a broken stick quickly without missing a beat usually by playing one handed for a second or so. I'm speaking from personal experience of course:)

Not really a flub, but a technical glitch. In Calgary, on the S&A tour, Neil's kit wouldn't rotate so he did the electronic part of the solo with his back to the crowd.

I was there. I'll never forget the look on his face when he was standing up to face his back to the audience. He wasn't too impressed for sure!

• Like 1

When I saw them in Edmonton in September Neil broke a stick, stopped for a two seconds and then tossed it in front of the drum set before carrying on.

That's unusual. Usually a drummer is able to discard a broken stick quickly without missing a beat usually by playing one handed for a second or so. I'm speaking from personal experience of course:)

I was there too and I kinda remember this. Neil usually has no problem switching out a broken stick mid song! Must've been during a hard part of the song so his brain was too busy lol

• Like 1

Usually they can. I've seen Neil do it before on his Taking Center Stage DVD. So, he knows how to do it (duh). Must've been a brain fart.

Not something very noticeable, my dad and I went to their Chicago show last year and the string section started speeding up on YYZ. Oops.

And my favorite is I believe for their R30 tour, during Roll the Bones, one of the techs must've messed up Alex's effects pedals because the Tom Sawyer synth kept playing throughout the song. It was pretty funny!

• Like 1

I saw a major trainwreck as well on Earthshine in Columbus, Ohio on the VT tour. Something about Earthshine that seemed to cause trainwrecks. LOL They had a few on Earthshine I believe:) What a freakin great song.

Geddy Lee made a mess of the keyboard at the beginning of the middle section of The Trees -Stafford Bingley Hall November 1981.The whole place cheered but he managed to get back into time.

The last Red Rocks show I went to had a few issues.... the opening video cut out about two minutes too early and plunged everything into darkness.... the band just sort of shrugged their shoulders and started playing TSoR. Then when they played "Time Stand Still" there were some sync issues with Aimee Mann's vocal track.

Alex broke several strings during the first show I saw in '92.

Frankly, I LOVE it when things like this happen... when the greatest rock band in the world reminds you that they are human, it's actually a good feeling.

When we saw them in Atlanta, last year, Neil got a slow start on Subdivisions...he tried to throw the sticks up in the air a couple of times and dropped them, on the way back down, but, it was no big deal. I figured he had been hiking on the AT, all day, and was probably a little tired!!!!!!

Time machine leg one in Seattle. It was the VERY end of the 2112 Overture, Alex completely butchered the little guitar run under "and the meek shall inherit the Earth." Geddy stopped singing and said "where are you" in the mic, and they went into Temples. Al ran and hid behind his amps, it was pretty funny hahahaha Edited by Nate1647