Austin chronicle review is......

nhlrush

so amateur.....

here is a little bit of it.....

Five days after the most notorious about-face in modern music – going from 30-year critical pariahs to induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (in Cleveland, no less, which broke the band by spinning 1974’s “Working Man” into an FM anthem) – Rush opened its Clockwork Angels tour in Austin. Two years since the Time Machine trek loaded up Moving Pictures in its entirety at the same venue, prog rock’s most enduring working men resumed their decades-old arena entitlement by picking up where the 1981 breakthrough left off.

“Subdivisions” first came as no surprise, the Signals kick-off being the hit that followed up Moving Pictures to even wider mass appeal, its New Wave synthesizer snaking through the tune’s melodic minefield like any high school’s invisible class, to whom it was aimed. That the band then fired up its album-mate six songs later – a personal favorite I’ve experienced only twice before in almost three decades of Rush concerts – came as something of a shock. Guitarist Alex Lifeson’s furious jigsaw fingering on “The Analog Kid” may have evidenced a bit of age-related corrosion, but the sophomore Signals romp remains a thrilling r-u-s-h.

first off....

ummm....

he said, "rush opened it Clockwork Angels tour in Austin"

ummm....

did i miss something......I'm sorry, what the hell was I doing in Manchester New Hamphshire on September 7, 2012.....

what was I doing a total of 13 nights in the fall of 2012, ending the day before my birthday Dec 2, 2012 in Houston.....

and then he says that Analog Kid came as a shock....

really?

I don't blame this Austin based writer for not seeing them in Dallas, San Antonio or Houston back in Nov/Dec 2012.....no big deal...

but I believe the setlist is available in many places....

maybe I am being too picky and too critcal of this guy.... but despite the article being generally positive, it seemed as if it was written by a high school student...

It's possible that he didn't know anything about the setlist,* 2nd leg of the tour this might be. I was shocked when they played TAK on the 1st leg; I had avoided spoilers, and prior to that, they hadn't played it in almost 20 years.

I also think "opened" might be an unfortunate choice of words. Technically, the tour DID open up in Austin... the 2nd leg of the tour.

* It sounds like he's not a fairweather fan ("almost 3 decades of of concerts"), so that might point to him being more likely to have been exposed to the set list for the 1st leg, but not necessarily.

I think you might be a touch too picky. :)

Edited by zappafrank
  • Like 1

so amateur.....

Five days after the most notorious about-face in modern music – going from 30-year critical pariahs to induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (in Cleveland, no less, which broke the band by spinning 1974’s “Working Man” into an FM anthem) – Rush opened its Clockwork Angels tour in Austin. Two years since the Time Machine trek loaded up Moving Pictures in its entirety at the same venue, prog rock’s most enduring working men resumed their decades-old arena entitlement by picking up where the 1981 breakthrough left off.

“Subdivisions” first came as no surprise, the Signals kick-off being the hit that followed up Moving Pictures to even wider mass appeal, its New Wave synthesizer snaking through the tune’s melodic minefield like any high school’s invisible class, to whom it was aimed. That the band then fired up its album-mate six songs later – a personal favorite I’ve experienced only twice before in almost three decades of Rush concerts – came as something of a shock. Guitarist Alex Lifeson’s furious jigsaw fingering on “The Analog Kid” may have evidenced a bit of age-related corrosion, but the sophomore Signals romp remains a thrilling r-u-s-h.

first off....

ummm....

ummm....

did i miss something......I'm sorry, what the hell was I doing in Manchester New Hamphshire on September 7, 2012.....

what was I doing a total of 13 nights in the fall of 2012, ending the day before my birthday Dec 2, 2012 in Houston.....

really?

I don't blame this Austin based writer for not seeing them in Dallas, San Antonio or Houston back in Nov/Dec 2012.....no big deal...

maybe I am being too picky and too critcal of this guy.... but despite the article being generally positive, it seemed as if it was written by a high school student...

Get over yourself.

• Like 1

so amateur.....

first off....

ummm....

ummm....

really?

Get over yourself.

I will try...thanks...

sounds like he's just trying to be objective. I don't like it when critics are harsh to our boys, but I don't like them slobbering all over them with envy either. Sounds like he was middle of the road.

Besides, they're now in the RRHOF and Rolling Stone seems to "like" them now. So we should all stop complaining, right?

Yeah.

Right.

Clem