The induction - what Rush means to me

dtpoet

WHAT RUSH MEANS TO ME

Tonight, after decades of being snubbed and more than a decade of eligibility, Rush will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A fan since the 8th grade, it shouldn't mean that much me. In truth, it does. There's an air of vindication that is hard to understand and even more difficult to explain.

In the high school halls of in the shopping malls, I wasn't just a nerd, a band geek, a partier, or a jock. In fact, at one point or another, I was all of them, sometimes in the same day; going from baseball practice to band practice (long live Eclipse) to a bonfire in a pine grove. While at times I felt in sync with my peers, I, like many others, often felt just outside looking in.

While others triumphed the sounds of Van Halen, Dio, and Iron Maiden, I quietly grew more interested in the moods and emotions of some Canadian trio very few had a flavor for. For me, others listened to these bands in an attempt to fit in while I listened to Rush to feel unique and different while slowly learning that was an okay to just be 'me'. As natural for it was in my grand design to want to feel accepted, I wasn't going to give in to security under pressure and just do or be what others wanted.

To my young and innocent eyes, Rush opened the world to me. There were places out there that were different (the whole wide world, an endless universe. Yet we keep looking through the eyeglass in reverse). There were people in those places who lived under completely different circumstances (people storm the barricades, walls go tumbling in). I wanted to learn about them, understand them, and increase my awareness of humanity. It was through that journey and exploration that I thought I might become a better a person (the point of the journey is not arrive. Anything can happen).

Did I need Rush to become a better person? Probably not. However, there is no doubt in my middle-aged mind that I have become a more compassionate, aware, and sensitive person because of Rush. To the little girl that hides shaking with her hands on her ears to the person who looks down from the evening plane and wonders what you're doing tonight, I, too, believe the level of sensitivity to those in danger or peril or struggle is more acute inside me because of Rush's influence on me. I don't watch the news to learn, I watch it to feel.

What has Rush meant to me during the course of 40 something years? Not much, but more than I know. They didn't influence my poor judgements or wise decisions. They didn't affect my successes or failures, my triumphs or shortcomings. However, they did offer me the opportunity to think and feel outside the box. They challenged me to define for myself what were acceptable levels of humanity (I knew he was different in his sexuality). They taught me lessons on emotional survival (All of us do time in the gutter. Dreamers turn to look at the cars - turn around, turn around) that I have used during various down moments including the loss of my brother last June.

I'm sure I could have survived this world without them, but I'm glad I had them along for the journey. As we the fans celebrate this induction, we know it means little in the grand scheme of things. Yet, it means something to our spirit, our soul if you will. We can't quite define it - but really - hasn't that always been the case?

"You can be the captain and I will draw the chart. Sailing into destiny, closer to the heart"

• Like 4

I know a lot of people feel like that. To me, it doesn't change a thing. I became (and strongly remain) a Rush fan for personal reasons, and I really don't care about the awards or the public recognition they get. As long as they have a great fanbase that keeps them going both financially and inspirationally, I am happy.

Means nothing to me, I'm glad for the band...and the fans that care...but they were snubbed for so long it matters not to me. I love the band and their music for the enjoyment it brings me, and my friends that feel the same about Rush. We dont require a HOF to know we are fans of one of the greatest bands, and three of the worlds most excellent musicians in rock history.

WHAT RUSH MEANS TO ME

Tonight, after decades of being snubbed and more than a decade of eligibility, Rush will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A fan since the 8th grade, it shouldn't mean that much me. In truth, it does. There's an air of vindication that is hard to understand and even more difficult to explain.

In the high school halls of in the shopping malls, I wasn't just a nerd, a band geek, a partier, or a jock. In fact, at one point or another, I was all of them, sometimes in the same day; going from baseball practice to band practice (long live Eclipse) to a bonfire in a pine grove. While at times I felt in sync with my peers, I, like many others, often felt just outside looking in.

While others triumphed the sounds of Van Halen, Dio, and Iron Maiden, I quietly grew more interested in the moods and emotions of some Canadian trio very few had a flavor for. For me, others listened to these bands in an attempt to fit in while I listened to Rush to feel unique and different while slowly learning that was an okay to just be 'me'. As natural for it was in my grand design to want to feel accepted, I wasn't going to give in to security under pressure and just do or be what others wanted.

To my young and innocent eyes, Rush opened the world to me. There were places out there that were different (the whole wide world, an endless universe. Yet we keep looking through the eyeglass in reverse). There were people in those places who lived under completely different circumstances (people storm the barricades, walls go tumbling in). I wanted to learn about them, understand them, and increase my awareness of humanity. It was through that journey and exploration that I thought I might become a better a person (the point of the journey is not arrive. Anything can happen).

Did I need Rush to become a better person? Probably not. However, there is no doubt in my middle-aged mind that I have become a more compassionate, aware, and sensitive person because of Rush. To the little girl that hides shaking with her hands on her ears to the person who looks down from the evening plane and wonders what you're doing tonight, I, too, believe the level of sensitivity to those in danger or peril or struggle is more acute inside me because of Rush's influence on me. I don't watch the news to learn, I watch it to feel.

What has Rush meant to me during the course of 40 something years? Not much, but more than I know. They didn't influence my poor judgements or wise decisions. They didn't affect my successes or failures, my triumphs or shortcomings. However, they did offer me the opportunity to think and feel outside the box. They challenged me to define for myself what were acceptable levels of humanity (I knew he was different in his sexuality). They taught me lessons on emotional survival (All of us do time in the gutter. Dreamers turn to look at the cars - turn around, turn around) that I have used during various down moments including the loss of my brother last June.

I'm sure I could have survived this world without them, but I'm glad I had them along for the journey. As we the fans celebrate this induction, we know it means little in the grand scheme of things. Yet, it means something to our spirit, our soul if you will. We can't quite define it - but really - hasn't that always been the case?

"You can be the captain and I will draw the chart. Sailing into destiny, closer to the heart"

A fine composition of our shared sentiment.

:cheers: on this celebratory evening.

:heart: :rush: :heart:

WHAT RUSH MEANS TO ME

A fine composition of our shared sentiment.

:cheers: on this celebratory evening.

:heart: :rush: :heart:

Same here...they have meant exactly the same to me over the last 35+ years.

I love these guys...

I will never get tired of watching that woman trying to go up the escalator on her motorized wheel chair....

ABSOLUTELY NEVER.....

Yeah, whenever I'm having a bad day...I watch it...makes me do this every time... :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Khan rocks!!!

:ebert: :ebert: