If Fly By Night Was Their First Album

rushgoober

Goobs, have you forgotten how much radio attention Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions got at the time? And MTV played Rush pretty frequently in the early 80s. Don't you remember how easy it was to catch one of their videos? And NONE of those songs reached the top 20! Face it, Rush is a weird f***ing hard rock band. All the marketing in the world might not have helped many of their tunes

my point is lakeside park is an underrated classic and had big hit written all over it. i also thought far cry should have been a massive hit as well, so wtf do i know i guess... sigh...

Goobs, have you forgotten how much radio attention Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions got at the time? And MTV played Rush pretty frequently in the early 80s. Don't you remember how easy it was to catch one of their videos? And NONE of those songs reached the top 20! Face it, Rush is a weird f***ing hard rock band. All the marketing in the world might not have helped many of their tunes

my point is lakeside park is an underrated classic and had big hit written all over it. i also thought far cry should have been a massive hit as well, so wtf do i know i guess... sigh...

Yeah, I understood your point. I was simply giving you possible reasons why Lakeside Park and other tunes weren't massive hits. Geddy and Alex said in an interview in the mid-90s that they thought Ghost of a Chance should've been a big hit but it didn't turn out that way.They then called themselves and the music they played weird.

Yeah, I understood your point. I was simply giving you possible reasons why Lakeside Park and other tunes weren't massive hits. Geddy and Alex said in an interview in the mid-90s that they thought Ghost of a Chance should've been a big hit but it didn't turn out that way.They then called themselves and the music they played weird.

And I understand where you're coming from too. It's easy to list all the logical reasons why Lakeside Park or Tom Sawyer or any other Rush song wasn't a top 10 hit. The logic makes sense until I listen to Lakeside Park again, and I'm again in complete disbelief that this song wasn't hugely successful. I still maintain that had the record company pushed it, it would have at least had SOME success. The "general public has shit taste" argument I put forth can only go so far - I mean, several Rush songs were very popular and still get played regularly today, so it's not a complete fantasy that the song could have been so much more. Honestly, I like the song a lot more than Fly By Night, and that song actually did chart.

:finbar:

It was Working Man that ignited it all.

•heavy rotation

•Led Zeppelin-esque

Great ROCK SONG! Simple.

Speculation on the FBN debut is impossible, but playing along, yes they would still be popular, probably.

I always thought Making Memories was a pretty radio friendly song with an upbeat feel. It is one of my roadtrip songs. Besides FBN title track, I think it is the most accessible material on the album.

Of course, the rest of it totally rocks :haz:

FBN couldn't have been their first studio album. Working Man was required to be discovered and that discovery required the replacement of Rutsey. As the only single from FBN, FBN song was part Neil. Circular logic. Without the first album, Neil wouldn't be in Rush to make FBN.

Cause and effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfuXUNRDOy0

• Like 1

Fly by Night changed the world bro! Of course they would've gone on to be the most successful canadian band ever...who can resist blue owls and kick ass songs about life and the underworld of Hades

This.

I think Fly By Night is a stronger effort than :rush:

Truth be told...when Neil joined the band, I don't think anything was stopping them from greatness.

• Like 1

Fly by Night changed the world bro! Of course they would've gone on to be the most successful canadian band ever...who can resist blue owls and kick ass songs about life and the underworld of Hades

This.

Truth be told...when Neil joined the band, I don't think anything was stopping them from greatness.

I agree with you. I really won't listen to the first album at all but FBN is a part of my rotation. To be fair RUSH it did garner attention that got the ball rolling...I just don't like it. That was a different band altogether

This.

I agree with you. I really won't listen to the first album at all but FBN is a part of my rotation. To be fair RUSH it did garner attention that got the ball rolling...I just don't like it. That was a different band altogether

I used to think like that about the first album. Some of the lyrics are just gaudy. But there are some real rockers on that album. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. EVERY Rush album has gems on it. The difference between their classics, and the rest of their catalog is the amount of gems contained on the album.