Progressive Music

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is them:

http://www.progblog.de/uploads/magma-band.jpg

Oh yeah, you gotta check out Tool too FF. I'll send you a song or two of theirs next time I talk to you on MSN.

And Iced Earth are power metal I suppose, but Borknagar are prog. Borknagar's older releases were more black metal, but their past two have been much more prog than the others.

i've heard of Tool, i don't really consider them prog. they're just Metal to me. and i'm not too crazy over them. i mean don't get me wrong they have some songs that just flippin jam, like i guess i heard the Aenima cd and really really really liked it, but i also just recently heard the Lateralus cd and it was just too...i duno what the word for it is. it's like in every song they just go on with strange noises and crap for like 3 or 4 minutes at the beginnings and/or ends of songs, and it's not that appealing to me. i really like A Perfect Circle though. Maynard is definitely an awesome singer.

and yea i didn't listen to those sound clips cuz i'm at my aunt's right now with a bunch of people in the house, but when i get back home i'll check out those magma sound clips. they sound like a really interesting band i'll hafta check 'em out.

On The Dividing Line last night, I heard a group from the '70's called Star Castle. I had never heard of them, but they were really good! And I gotta tell ya that they are very Yes influenced. Sounded every bit like Yes music.

Another group that has my interest pique'd is Kino. I've only heard the tune "Leave a Light On", but I hope all their other tunes are equally brilliant. I'm trying to find their CD "Picture". Wasn't at Borders, so I may have to find it online and purchase it that way.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jun 30 2005, 09:19 PM)
For something newer, look to the Magna Carta label.
Recommendations:

Tiles
Ice Age
Under The Sun
Proto-Kaw
7th Key
Spocks Beard

I auditioned for "Ice Age" to fill their bass spot. Didn't make it though, but I was happy to be asked.

there are some really good prog.bands out there today. Here are a few

Shadow Gallery

Opeth

Enchant

Queensryche(They been around for a long time)

Spiral Architect

Crimson Glory

Ice Age

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 3 2005, 06:43 PM)
i've heard of Tool, i don't really consider them prog. they're just Metal to me. and i'm not too crazy over them. i mean don't get me wrong they have some songs that just flippin jam, like i guess i heard the Aenima cd and really really really liked it, but i also just recently heard the Lateralus cd and it was just too...i duno what the word for it is. it's like in every song they just go on with strange noises and crap for like 3 or 4 minutes at the beginnings and/or ends of songs, and it's not that appealing to me. i really like A Perfect Circle though. Maynard is definitely an awesome singer.

and yea i didn't listen to those sound clips cuz i'm at my aunt's right now with a bunch of people in the house, but when i get back home i'll check out those magma sound clips. they sound like a really interesting band i'll hafta check 'em out.

Of course Tool is prog...prog-metal....

Here is a definition of Progressive Rock...Tool easily fits the criteria..If u look under the Prog-metal section, u will see Tool listed....

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp

Anyways Tool rocks...they have an abundance of intelligence, energy and feeling unlike DT....

Any excuse to plug them but I am on a bit of a crusade to get the world into........Mostly Autumn!

Very much in the style of some of the 70's prog bands (Floyd being their main influence I guess) but with a sound very much their own. Their latest album Storms Over Still Water has just come out and is an absolute masterpiece, just buy it, I guarantee you'll thank me biggrin.gif

It can be ordered from Mostly Autumn records at

http://www.mostlyautumnrecords.com/

and sound samples are at the bands official site....

http://www.mostly-autumn.com/

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 3 2005, 03:58 PM)
On The Dividing Line last night, I heard a group from the '70's called Star Castle. I had never heard of them, but they were really good! And I gotta tell ya that they are very Yes influenced. Sounded every bit like Yes music.

Another group that has my interest pique'd is Kino. I've only heard the tune "Leave a Light On", but I hope all their other tunes are equally brilliant. I'm trying to find their CD "Picture". Wasn't at Borders, so I may have to find it online and purchase it that way.

Starcastle are generally known as "the" American symphonic prog group in the 70's. I couldn't hate them more, I thought they were lame. But I guess that's just me.

Kino is a supergroup-type thingy with Pat Trewavas, I think, of Marillion.

---------

Progressive music?

I love progressive metal,

Dream Theater

Opeth

Tool

Queensryche

Symphony X

Fates Warning

etc.

classic prog,

Jethro Tull

Yes

Kansas

Genesis

(some) King Crimson

(a lot of) ELP

Triumvirat

Renaissance

newer prog,

Marillion

Spock's Beard

Ayreon

Neal Morse

Pallas

Salem Hill

space rock,

Hawkwind

Pink Floyd

Alan Parsons Project

Italian prog,

PFM

Banco

Maxophone

etc.

and etc.

etc.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jul 11 2005, 07:41 AM)
The Mars Volta are the best New Prog band out there right now.

Maybe, maybe not. I try and shy away from "the best" and etc. because when you come down to it, it's only opinion.

But, I forgot to mention post rock,

Radiohead

The Mars Volta

Mogwai

...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

and fusion,

Tony Williams Lifetime

The Yellowjackets

Al DiMeola

Return To Forever

Herbie Hancock

Miles Davis

Mahavishnu

Weather Report

Jaco Pastorius

in my prog-likeingness.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 11 2005, 04:52 PM)
yea i already love Dream Theater and Symphony X, and i'm working on getting into Ayreon, i'll hafta check out some of the others on your list though too.

i'm gonna hafta check out radiohead, i've heard quite a bit about them. what are some good songs by them?

They arent really prog so much as they are experimental, but through thier career, there is a definate progression in musical styling. Check out Paranoid Android or Karma Police (thier 2 hits) off of OK Computer, or pretty much all of Kid A.

I never really considered Tool metal, just hard rock at the most. Maybe that's because I listen to Death Metal and it's hardened me hehe. But on the Lateralus CD, they don't have the strange, droning noise things that much. And when they do, they're on their own track so you can skip it if you want. I would rate both Aenima and Lateralus as high as possible, but say Lateralus is a little better.

I personally think Maynard's wasting his time with A Perfect Circle, they suck >_<

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 11 2005, 03:52 PM)
i'm gonna hafta check out radiohead, i've heard quite a bit about them. what are some good songs by them?

I recommend the entire OK Computer album . . .

They do indeed write progressive music, definitely not the "symphonic prog" of the 70's, but bounding the definition to that goes against the meaning of the genre in the first place.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 11 2005, 05:56 PM)
I never really considered Tool metal, just hard rock at the most.

It's anybody's guess as to what metal is. The genre has changed so much that by modern standards Rush, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and etc. can no longer be called metal. They become "hard rock," along with Savatage, Queensryche, and Dream Theater and Tool.

It's all part of metal history to me.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 11 2005, 09:58 PM)
About Radiohead... OK Computer is good... But Kid A is better.

Kid A dabbles in electronica and etc. It has wonderful moments, but I still feel that OK Computer has much more substance.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 12 2005, 05:58 AM)
About Radiohead... OK Computer is good... But Kid A is better.

Personally, I just can't get on with Radiohead not being a fan of pretentious dirge music

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 12 2005, 02:54 AM)
Tiles latest release: Art direction by Hugh Syme

Tiles has always been a very solid band. Window Dressing had some brilliant songs.

Archived