Going to see The Tragically Hip on Tuesday...

Thunder Bay Rush

I know that ALL the Canadians on this message board are familiar with The Hip and most of us are fans. Most Americans, or those people from Europe, or elsewhere probably aren't overly familiar with this band. They're really good.

I have tickets to see them here in Thunder Bay on the 29th. They're playing at the Fort William Gardens, which is a smaller hockey arena. I think it holds about 4,000 or so.

I'll get back to you after the show to give a review... hopefully, some of you who have not listened to this band will give them a try. They're not prog rock at all, but they're not straight up rock 'n roll either. They really groove... and the lead singer is goddam wildman on stage.

Agreed. For me, anything after Henhouse is horrible. But, I am looking forward to seeing them in concert... hopefully, Downey doesn't go too nuts and sing the songs like he's a maniac... he is a good singer - when he sings.

Judging by the absence of posts on this one, it seems that there is little interest in the Hip show that I saw last night. They’re only well-known in Canada, so I guess it makes sense because most of the poeple on this board are from the US. So, I'll make this brief and to the point.

The band played great, accept for the singer. Gordon Downey didn't sing. He just yelled through the whole two hour set. He ruined it for me. Kind of a shame because the guy is a REALLY good singer... very unique...

The sound was awful too. A big wall of bass and mud. That's not the band's fault though. I rarely hear good sound in hockey arenas. The place was not sold out either. Quite a few emply seats.

My first Hip concert and will probably be my last. Unless Downey starts singing again, rather than yelling and acting like an idiot all night.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go change my tampon and take a couple Midol.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

Judging by the absence of posts on this one, it seems that there is little interest in the Hip show that I saw last night. They’re only well-known in Canada, so I guess it makes sense because most of the poeple on this board are from the US. So, I'll make this brief and to the point.

The band played great, accept for the singer. Gordon Downey didn't sing. He just yelled through the whole two hour set. He ruined it for me. Kind of a shame because the guy is a REALLY good singer... very unique...

The sound was awful too. A big wall of bass and mud. That's not the band's fault though. I rarely hear good sound in hockey arenas. The place was not sold out either. Quite a few emply seats.

My first Hip concert and will probably be my last. Unless Downey starts singing again, rather than yelling and acting like an idiot all night.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go change my tampon and take a couple Midol.

:LMAO: :LMAO:

Sorry to hear the concert didn't go well!! :(

I used to love the Tragically Hip, but I haven't heard any of their music since Day For Night was released. At the Hundredth Meridian is in the discussion for baddest ass rock tune ever. :haz:

I used to love the Tragically Hip, but I haven't heard any of their music since Day For Night was released. At the Hundredth Meridian is in the discussion for baddest ass rock tune ever. :haz:

WHERE THE GREAT PLAAAAAAAAAINS BEGIN

Fully Completely is one heck of an album. Just insanely good tunes all the way through.

I agree with you guys... for me, any Hip album up to an including Trouble at the Henhouse (1996) is a great album. But, something happened after Henhouse... the songs just seem so basic. No more groovin' tunes like, Twist My Arm, New Orleans, Grace Too, Hundreth Meridian, etc...

I've heard a fair amount of complaining about Downey's crappy singing at the Thunder Bay show. This might sound weird, but it sort of reminds me of how Mick Jagger has sung the Stones songs live over the last twenty years or so. He just blabbers through them... no more of Mick's great singing the way he once did.

Most Americans, or those people from Europe, or elsewhere probably aren't overly familiar with this band.

Well, we don't fall under the whole "Can-con" thing, so they don't get the exposure they deserve here in the States. Here's a little ditty of theirs I like...

They strike me a bit like a Canadian Cold Chisel...not in their sound, but in that they seem to have a nation-specific flavor...or flavour. I married a Canuck, so I get it.

• Like 1

WOW!

Now THIS is back when Gordon Downey was a great live singer!! This is how this great tune is supposed to go... this videol looks like it was shot back in the early 90s. Thanks for digging this one up!

Hey, if you married a Canuck, Your wife must be HOT. Canadian chicks are HOT!

(Unless, of course you married a man... then, well???)

WOW!

Now THIS is back when Gordon Downey was a great live singer!! This is how this great tune is supposed to go... this videol looks like it was shot back in the early 90s. Thanks for digging this one up!

Hey, if you married a Canuck, Your wife must be HOT. Canadian chicks are HOT!

(Unless, of course you married a man... then, well???)

What's the old joke....

"Canada's full of whores and hockey players. So...who does your wife play for?"