Sweet Potatoes!

HowItIs

My family loves sweet potatoes. We'll eat them baked, mashed, fried... but our favorite is this sweet potato casserole:

1 sweet potato for each person +1 (for 3 people I use 4 potatoes - this recipe feeds 3)

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1/8 cup orange juice

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup butter

2 tablespoons cream

(I didn't say it was low-calorie - that's why we only have it on holidays ;) )

Cut potatoes and boil until tender. Drain and place in large mixing bowl - this works best with a stand mixer but if you are patient you can do it with a hand mixer. Let cool until you can touch the sides of the bowl. Turn on beater and add the other ingredients, Whip on medium for 15 minutes. Yes, that's right - 15 minutes. This will whip plenty of air into them and make them super fluffy. Empty bowl into a casserole dish.

Now, you can go in two directions with the topping: good old mini marshmallows or streusel. My family loves the marshmallows but I prefer the streusel:

1/2 cup pecans (pieces)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

Mix together and crumble over the top of the potatoes. It will melt and run together forming a crust, almost like a brulee'. Enjoy!

Edited by HowItIs

Hope you liked it, TBR! :D

I forgot to add that if you like them more custard-like, add an egg - but only one.

I love, love, LOVE sweet potatoes. I don't get to make them too often because of a certain picky eater. When I do make them, sometimes I par boil them, peel and then cut into fourths and stick them in the oven with butter, brown sugar and a little apple cider vinegar. I keep them in the oven, stirring around a few times until they're soft and develop a slight crust on the outside. Then, I pull them out from the oven and either serve as-is or top with mini marshmallows and toss under the broiler for a few seconds.

Another way I like to prepare sweet potatoes is to boil fully, let cool, peel, cut in half (or fourths) and pan fry in bacon grease. Other times I'll cut into medallions and pan fry in butter and brown sugar until slightly crusty. So good with turkey or chops.

Sweet taters are the best.

1/4 cup butter

2 tablespoons cream

(I didn't say it was low-calorie - that's why we only have it on holidays ;) )

Don't feel bad, I cook like this all the time! I know I shouldn't but things taste so much better with butter and cream. Whenever I have a recipe that calls for milk, I add either whole milk, half-and-half or heavy whipping cream. Next time you make mac and cheese (the blue box stuff), use heavy whipping cream instead of milk. It makes it so rich and yummy!