What's up with 70's Rush Fans?

Mystic Rythm

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Oct 3 2012, 02:33 PM)
The 70's are so 30 years ago...get over it people. Clockwork Angels is awesome! 1022.gif

Yes it is...and we get a healthy dose of it. Throw us old people a bone or two and we be happy.

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 3 2012, 01:43 PM)
The 70's are so 30 years ago...get over it people. Clockwork Angels is awesome! 1022.gif

Yes it is...and we get a healthy dose of it. Throw us old people a bone or two and we be happy.

2.gif

C'mon Grendel--working man, or TSOR, 2112, that's the 70's right?

What do you want to hear? Tell you what, I'll slip a note to Neil...now's your chance buddy tongue.gif

Give me the order grendel trink38.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Oct 3 2012, 02:46 PM)

2.gif

What do you want to hear? Tell you what, I'll slip a note to Neil...now's your chance buddy tongue.gif

Anything actually....make the set a bit more even...know what I mean? I love all the era's, but for me a great show has" eveness" to it.

Indeed...this is a CA Tour...ok...we get that hit us with that awesome stuff. We got it!

Ok...PoW is a kickass album and the synth era is significant. Got it!

Sprinkle even amount of the classics (which this tour does not) and ya got something!

RUSH likes to do things their way and that is very respectable. However, I have a hunch that if they are to remain a significant force in the touring world, they really need to even-out their set lists.

I would start by avoiding the back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back...songs from same album. no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

Mix it up and have some logic to the set. One can create a wonderful setlist without one era overpowering another and with some logical ordering.

And for God's sake get rid of the friggen videos!!!!!!!!!!!

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 3 2012, 01:56 PM)

2.gif

Anything actually....make the set a bit more even...know what I mean? I love all the era's, but for me a great show has" eveness" to it.

Indeed...this is a CA Tour...ok...we get that hit us with that awesome stuff. We got it!

Sprinkle even amount of the classics (which this tour does not) and ya got something!

RUSH likes to do things their way and that is very respectable. However, I have a hunch that if they are to remain a significant force in the touring world, they really need to even-out their set lists.

I would start by avoiding the back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back...songs from same album. no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif no.gif

Mix it up and have some logic to the set. One can create a wonderful setlist without one era overpowering another and with some logical ordering.

2.gif

Ya you mentioned the videos...how did you like the dwarve's? The Yukon Blade Grinder was pretty close with its reporting eh brotha man?

OK, so you don't want all the CA back to back right? Done!!!

Would you care for some Cygnus and Xanadu, with a side of Beneath, Between, Behind?

Now for desert, how bout some--Lakeside Park? Something for Nothing? Done!

I'll process this to Mr. Peart and get back with you ASAP

Love

TM

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Oct 3 2012, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 3 2012, 01:56 PM)

2.gif

2.gif

Ya you mentioned the videos...how did you like the dwarve's? The Yukon Blade Grinder was pretty close with its reporting eh brotha man?

OK, so you don't want all the CA back to back right? Done!!!

Would you care for some Cygnus and Xanadu, with a side of Beneath, Between, Behind?

Now for desert, how bout some--Lakeside Park? Something for Nothing? Done!

I'll process this to Mr. Peart and get back with you ASAP

Love

TM

None of that....replace video with classic stuff that they deleted - stuff that the average RUSH fan goes nuts for. Xanadu. Lakeside, etc....not necessary, but one long lost concert classic would be nice...

Honestly, not really asking for much here and I suspect neither are the major dettractors of the current set.

I loved the show myself, but will admit it is one of the weakest sets since HYF - IMO.

2.gif

Now...what can you do about dem Bills???????? Huh??????

trink39.gif

The only 70s song I'd bother adding to the list would be either Xanadu or By-Tor, mainly because they show off much of the bands true musicianship and instrumental capabilities. Hell, they could probably just pull out medley like they do from time to time.

To me, it's a real stretch to suggest that they'd play anything that's too far behind Permanent Waves at this point, and I'm not counting Working Man nor 2112.

Thank You all for the great post so far. I'm glad there has been respectable debate on this. I'm no different from most Rush fans in that I have songs that I like over other songs too. I just didn't understand how some took the setlist like an insult almost. Everyone has a right to want to hear what they prefer but man there are some seriously angry people. I was introduced to Rush around PW and quickly latched onto their 70's stuff with Hemispheres still at the top of my list and TFE, RTB, CP and S&A closer to the bottom but still love to hear ANY of it live! I know it's very easy on this forum to offend people and I'm glad you guys chose to respond decently. 2.gif

As for the videos I agree. In St. Louis there was also several songs with just a dead screen behind them. It would be nice to keep closeups on the screens most of the time with a few videos sprinkled in. yes.gif

Thanks again all and have one on me! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Na na na @ Oct 3 2012, 01:34 AM)
...and when was the last time they played a lot of 70`s material anyway.

Yeah, look at all of the setlists from the 80s and 90s. The biggest addition came in 96 with 2112. All the other tours had one or two songs and mostly in medley form...the biggest one was the medley from the RTB tour. Even then, every 70s song was part of a medley...I still have trouble when I remember the Xanadu>Superconductor thing. Man, that was just unfair.

If memory serves they only played Xanadu and Hemispheres: Prelude in 94 (With a working man tease at the Rochester show). 2112, CTTH, and the Trees were in 96.

So, this is a valid point. We were spoiled in the 2000s with the addition of some 70s material. Now it goes away...Maybe, it will be back. If you told me that I would someday see Circumstances, Natural Science, By-Tor, and Cygnus in concert, I would have thought you off your rocker.

QUOTE (eshine @ Oct 3 2012, 12:17 AM)
The whole "Rush screws the seventees fans" thing is nothing more then a silly non-issue perpetuated by a small percentage of fanbois on these messageboards.

Any Rush fan worth his or her salt knows that the band aren't going to be delving into their 70's stuff anymore.

Phuck'em then. Aerosmith, AC/DC, Van Halen, Neil Young and countless other groups are doing it. What makes Rush so above this? This progressive mentality of Rush isn't relevant any more because they aren't delivering the goods- Not playing the music that made them who they are today?? Blasphemy! AMF!!

Yeah....AC/DC Black Ice Tour had no Bon Scott era tunes in the set....lol Either did Iron Maiden's Maiden England Tour....lol... Yup bands just ignore their early stuff...yup yup...dream more...

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

2.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Oct 3 2012, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Oct 3 2012, 12:17 AM)
The whole "Rush screws the seventees fans" thing is nothing more then a silly non-issue perpetuated by a small percentage of fanbois on these messageboards.

Any Rush fan worth his or her salt knows that the band aren't going to be delving into their 70's stuff anymore.

Phuck'em then. Aerosmith, AC/DC, Van Halen, Neil Young and countless other groups are doing it. What makes Rush so above this? This progressive mentality of Rush isn't relevant any more because they aren't delivering the goods- Not playing the music that made them who they are today?? Blasphemy! AMF!!

I very much doubt that they feel above anyone. Imagine for a moment that you did something creative 40 years ago. FOUR DECADES LATER it is all anyone wants to hear from you or see from you and they want you to repeat it over an over again. Don't you think that eventually you would get tired of doing it?

I would love to go to a Rush concert and see them play Beneath, Between And Behind or Anthem. Heck, I was really wishing for In The Mood this tour, but I don't expect them to play that stuff anymore.

If you could sit in a room with any or all of them how would you explain it to them. How would you tell them that you want them to keep playing the same songs they played to death years ago. They used to play nearly 200 concerts a year. I don't gamble, but I'd be willing to bet a significant amount that at least one of the band had dreams about playing a song over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 3 2012, 01:41 PM)
The actual playing time is roughly around 2.5 hours.

Which is just fine. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Show is exactly that - a SHOW. It's a spectacle. A concert experience - visually, musically, and even physically. The combination of music, video/visual effects, and pyrotechnics all combine for a great, great Show.

2.5 hours and 25 songs is plenty. It's more than anyone could/should expect from a band that's been playing for 40 years.....

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Oct 4 2012, 05:14 AM)

The Show is exactly that - a SHOW. It's a spectacle. A concert experience - visually, musically, and even physically. The combination of music, video/visual effects, and pyrotechnics all combine for a great, great Show.

2.5 hours and 25 songs is plenty. It's more than anyone could/should expect from a band that's been playing for 40 years.....

Yeah...it sucks that the average common person may work the same job for 40 years - 5 days a week and barely make enough coin to buy a retirement boat when it is all over.

Boo hoo to the rock star.

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Oct 4 2012, 07:10 AM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Oct 4 2012, 05:14 AM)

Yeah...it sucks that the average common person may work the same job for 40 years - 5 days a week and barely make enough coin to buy a retirement boat when it is all over.

Boo hoo to the rock star.

2.gif

Oh, I see now, it isn't fair. Oh dear you.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/leave-britney-alone.jpg

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Oct 4 2012, 04:14 AM)

The clouds part and logic enters TRF

It's entertainment people goodpost.gif

ATWAS is what got me back in 76'. That said, I don't expect the band to play a lot of that stuff. It would be awesome. But they are not getting any younger. I am just happy for the band for there never giving up attitude through out the decades. Tampa, here we come!! 1022.gif 653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink38.gif 2.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Oct 4 2012, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (hermy @ Oct 3 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Oct 2 2012, 11:34 PM)
That's if they don't f*** us over on R40...

There will be NOOOOOOOOO R40!!!

Why do you say that Hermy?

confused13.gif

IMO, they might see an R40 Tour as redundant and too self-aggrandizing. They've already done one anniversary tour, so they won't get into the habit of "celebrating themselves".

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 3 2012, 07:43 PM)
still have trouble when I remember the Xanadu>Superconductor thing. Man, that was just unfair.

Oh man, that was such a cheap sucker punch to the gut. I swear I could hear and feel the air go out of the arena when that happened. smile.gif

One of their most classic of classics to a strong contender for "Worst Rush Song Ever" = no no no no!

On another note, I know that a lot of people (myself included actually) think medleys in general are a cheap cop-out, but I rather enjoyed the R30 instrumental-medley. Not something they could do every tour though: nice for the 30th anniversary as a 'celebration' but it would get old.