Signals

otisbenny

I revisited this album after a long time of being away from it, and...it sounds to me better than I remember it! What an impressive follow-up to Moving Pictures! Every song is a gem and Subdivisions may be the truest song about teen angst and alienation I've ever heard. "Be cool or be cast out" is as relevent today as ever. My only (minor) quibble is the fade-out at the the end of Losing It. It seems a bit abrubt, but that may be due to the time constraints of vinyl at the time. Rating: 9/10

Since the rumours started about the band playing Signals in full on the CA Tour, I also decided to give it one more spin. One song I never liked was Analog Kid, but now I LOVE IT! All the others are great as well...The Weapon, Digital Man, Countdown...and the end solo on Chemistry is just incredible!

Subdivisions was he song that turned me into a Rush fan in the first place and for a long time, Signals was my favorite Rush album. I even have the poster of that album on my wall... even if it's just a dog smelling a fire hydrant. lol

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 19 2012, 02:47 PM)
My favorite Rush album. I will never understand how some fans don't like this record. It's brilliant!

Some don't like it because it represented the beginning of the "synth" era for for Rush - a deliberate shift away from the band's guitar-heavy sound that culminated with Moving Pictures.

Others dislike it for its production quality, often described as "dense" and "muddy", and which also led to the dismissal of Terry Brown.

Me personally, I love the record for all that it was - and is. I don't think there is a single song on that album that I tend to skip over. Great musicianship and songwriting all around.

I completely reject the notion that Signals was a major departure for Rush. That narrative is in serious need of revision. I'm convinced that too many fans have allowed that assertion to cloud their judgment of the record. It is a beautifully written, performed, and produced album. I'd elaborate if I had time.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 19 2012, 05:32 PM)
I completely reject the notion that Signals was a major departure for Rush. That narrative is in serious need of revision. I'm convinced that too many fans have allowed that assertion to cloud their judgment of the record. It is a beautifully written, performed, and produced album. I'd elaborate if I had time.

Right.....it was a natural Progression. wink.gif

Mick

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Sep 19 2012, 05:44 PM)

Mick

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic. But I do indeed intepret it as a natural progression. It's the next logical step after Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. And aesthetically, I don't consider Signals that different from the two records that proceeded it. I consider Permanent Waves more of a departure than Signals. I know there are others who agree because we've entertained this discussion in the past.

I don't want to debate Signals. It's one of my favorite albums of all time. I'd rather leave it alone and love it. tongue.gif

goodpost.gif

Agreed...

...a great next step in the band's evolution at the time.

A highly under rated album from any band.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 19 2012, 06:34 PM)

Mick

Can't tell if you are being sarcastic. But I do indeed intepret it as a natural progression. It's the next logical step after Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. And aesthetically, I don't consider Signals that different from the two records that proceeded it. I consider Permanent Waves more of a departure than Signals. I know there are others who agree because we've entertained this discussion in the past.

I don't want to debate Signals. It's one of my favorite albums of all time. I'd rather leave it alone and love it. tongue.gif

No sarcasm here. I can agree that You can almost say the previous 2 albums were synthy. They had synths just not nearly as many. but they were there yes.gif

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Sep 19 2012, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 19 2012, 06:34 PM)

Mick

No sarcasm here. I can agree that You can almost say the previous 2 albums were synthy. They had synths just not nearly as many. but they were there yes.gif

Mick

Vital Signs anyone?

Great album, every bit as good as MP. The musicianship on both Losing it and The Weapon is astonishingly good.

It sold more than 2 million copies world-wide from I can see on the internet.

And Alex is all over this record. He absolutely shreds! Yes more room was made for keyboards. But many of my favorite Lifeson solos appear on Signals.

I've always wondered if some fans think they are defending Alex by criticising Signals. If that's the case it isn't necessary. First, it's my understanding that the whole band was supportive of the direction in which they headed. Second, referring back to my initial point, Alex kills on Signals! 1022.gif

I absolutely love Signals. It was the last great Rush album and it took all the way until CA to make one remotely close to it. New World Man, Chemistry, Subdivisions, and Analog Kid are all favs of mine.

True, Signals was a continuation of the type of experimentation done on the previous two records in terms of shorter song structures and the incorporation of different musical styles (ska, reggae, new wave, etc). In that sense it really was a natural progression for the band.

The major departure, in my opinion, was how dominant the keyboards were on this record. True, you did see keyboards and sequencers present on Moving Pictures, but Alex's guitar really was the lead instrument on most of those songs - and on most of the albums that preceded MP. Not so on Signals. The band has stated that this was a conscious decision, but one that Alex in particular later regretted.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 19 2012, 09:36 PM)
And Alex is all over this record. He absolutely shreds! Yes more room was made for keyboards. But many of my favorite Lifeson solos appear on Signals.

I've always wondered if some fans think they are defending Alex by criticising Signals. If that's the case it isn't necessary. First, it's my understanding that the whole band was supportive of the direction in which they headed. Second, referring back to my initial point, Alex kills on Signals! 1022.gif

Yes, the decision to put the guitars back in the mix on Signals was reportedly a group decision, even if Alex did come to regret this later on. In fact, he has often said he began trying to compensate for this on GUP.

But you really can't deny that on Signals, tasty as his guitar work was, he was definitely playing second fiddle to the keyboards on this record. He's essentially playing rhythm guitar on this record and not much else, save for the occasional solo. The exception might be Analog Kid where he's front and center for the verses.

Don't get me wrong, I love Alex's playing on Signals and I love the record as a whole, but it's simply not a guitar record, something the band has widely acknowledged.