Neil in Concert

Thunder Bay Rush

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 3 2012, 12:55 PM)
Hmmmmmmmmm, I'm not so sure about that.  He can't possibly think that way otherwise he would have retired years ago, or at least - stopped touring.

Then he'd have no significant income... Oh.. wait. I get it now eyesre4.gif

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 3 2012, 10:43 AM)
Okay, I'm probably going to pee on a few keyboards here, but before I start, for the record, Neil is my drum God and I'm obviously a huge fan. (I'm here, right?) I've read all of his books, etc... I started getting serious about playing the drums the very next day after I saw the 2112 concert in Ottawa, Ontario.

I know Neil shy's away from the spotlight and any sense of adulation embarrases him, but -

I have a complaint - After seeing 27 shows, I know what the end of the concert is like for Neil. He stands up, waves for about 5 - 6 seconds and then he splits. Again, I know he doesn't like all the "rock star" attention and stuff, but would it kill him (and the others) to come down to the centre stage and take 30 seconds to wave or just stand there and let people scream their asses off, or do whatever is normally done at the show's end by appreciative entertainers?

Since I know how he feels about all this I know that he doesn't simply leave the stage quickly because he doesn't care, but for fans who DON'T know about his feelings on this, they think he just doesn't give a sh** and wants to get the hell off the stage...

After all is said and done, if it weren't for ther fans, he might still be selling farm equipment parts in St. Catherines...

I don't think any member of the band has bowed at the end of a concert--why start now? It's not really their style, and if anything, it adds to the mystique of the "world's biggest cult band".

Neil is more open and more appreciative than anyone else in the band (candor abounds in all his books)--he just doesn't care for being gawked at by fans with no tact.

You know what's better than a bow? Leave the show a song earlier to: a.) beat the crowd b.) see Neil zoom off.

Can't wait for this weekend!

I'd trade 30 seconds of waving to the crowd for another three hours of live music. wink.gif

Their appreciation is shown with every note played concert night, the months of rehearsals done prior to that and the endless hours of work recorded (and not!) on their albums. Not to mention they do this all without boozing, getting high, causing scenes AND they spend a lot of time away from their families.

If that's not enough appreciation, then nothing will satisfy you.

Edited by Amy Farrah Fowler

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Sep 3 2012, 09:11 PM)
Maybe they could shoot Neil out of one of those clockwork cannons, And into the crowd at the end of the show . Would that suffice ?

biggrin.gif

I don't care either way. It would be weird to see actually (but welcome). I just don't think it is their style. Geddy said in Beyond The Lighted Stage that the first show of the Vapor Trails tour was one of the few times they ever had a group hug.

Most of us on this forum are American guys. We slap each other on the butt and call each other rude names because that is the way we bond in this country. I think it confuses other cultures. One of my best friends is Canadian and after a decade he still keeps trying to just shake my hand all. I pull him in and give him a big bear hug every time. (Hi Paul, see you in November!)

Maybe he is just really thirsty and wants to get the coldest drink before the others get there.

I worry about him sometimes because he runs off and leaves his drum kit unsupervised, trusting all 18000 fans with it. He probably saved up his hard earned money to buy it. Shit I wouldnt leave my kit just hanging around after a gig.

I think it would be nice if he hung around and packed up his drum kit himself so nothing goes missing. We would just watch and not bother him.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 3 2012, 09:43 AM)
Okay, I'm probably going to pee on a few keyboards here, but before I start, for the record, Neil is my drum God and I'm obviously a huge fan. (I'm here, right?) I've read all of his books, etc... I started getting serious about playing the drums the very next day after I saw the 2112 concert in Ottawa, Ontario.

I know Neil shy's away from the spotlight and any sense of adulation embarrases him, but -

I have a complaint - After seeing 27 shows, I know what the end of the concert is like for Neil. He stands up, waves for about 5 - 6 seconds and then he splits. Again, I know he doesn't like all the "rock star" attention and stuff, but would it kill him (and the others) to come down to the centre stage and take 30 seconds to wave or just stand there and let people scream their asses off, or do whatever is normally done at the show's end by appreciative entertainers?

Since I know how he feels about all this I know that he doesn't simply leave the stage quickly because he doesn't care, but for fans who DON'T know about his feelings on this, they think he just doesn't give a sh** and wants to get the hell off the stage...

After all is said and done, if it weren't for ther fans, he might still be selling farm equipment parts in St. Catherines...

No it wouldn't kill him but technically speaking he does do more than wave.. He comes out and rocks two or three more tunes for you. 97% of other bands would be half way to their next gig by that time... Not bad considering he's freakin 60!

He got his buddy to novelize the latest album for you, and if you need you can even listen to him read the thing to you. He actually does quite a bit for his fans but he's uncomfortable in certain situations.. So he avoids them just like you or I would..

You can't change someone's personality. Why worry about it??