Can anybody help my sister?

My_Shrimp_Cot

I think that there is not very much evidence to suggest that there is a poltergeist. The yelling they heard could have just been someone yelling loudly outside and maybe to them it sounded like it was inside the house. The television could have just been some type of electronic/electrical malfunction. I'd tell them not to panic just yet smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Aug 30 2012, 10:06 PM)
I think that there is not very much evidence to suggest that there is a poltergeist. The yelling they heard could have just been someone yelling loudly outside and maybe to them it sounded like it was inside the house. The television could have just been some type of electronic/electrical malfunction. I'd tell them not to panic just yet smile.gif

Pretty much this. You can't call a few one off incidents a poltergeist. Considering true poltergeist activity would be more agressive than that, I would not go there just yet. What your sister needs to do is some investigating on her own to see if she can disprove anything with a logical reason. Is there a bad electrical hookup with the TV? Do voices or sounds carry easily in the house or neighborhood in genreal? These are the things she needs to test out.

If that doesn't work and she can't disprove anything then there might be a consern, but I wouldn't think too much of it if there isn't anymore activity. If other things start happening then that's when you need to do something, but that's only if anything else out of the ordinary happens.

Did your sister just move into this house? If not, it's very unlikley that a ghost would just pop up out of nowhere without any reason if she's been living there a long time.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Reading Scripture aloud and prayer. It doesn't hurt anyone and if indeed there is something there it will not be able to stand it. I read the end of the Bible and God wins.

As for what part to read I suggest Isaiah. I just finished an in depth study of that book and it wore me out. Demons would cry.

I'm unsure about the whole world of ghosts... I've had instances at work that have been creepy, but I think these kind of things can be explained. If it helps anyone, here's what's been up:

[And for background information, I do not like those spongy Magic Eraser things - I can't stand the feel of them! And I'm often the closing manager, by myself, at the restaurant I work at, late at night]

-when sitting in the office, I often hear what sounds exactly like the 'click' of a high-heeled shoe on the tiled floor right outside the office doorway, which to this day still causes me to whip my head around, expecting to see someone there.

Explanation: buildings are full of weird noises.

-on several occasions I've found Magic Erasers placed on my purse / jacket, when I've placed the items down when all alone and gone back to them a few moments later. There's no way I could have accidently touched them to get them there!

Explanation: perhaps the Magic Erasers had fallen from an overhead ledge and landed on my stuff.

-I was checking a washroom at the end of night, and found a metal garbage can lid askew. I tut-tutted, I fixed it, left the bathroom, then went a few steps before remembering something else I needed to check in there. I went back in to find the garbage can extremely askew and had a mild freakout.

Explanation: perhaps I hadn't fixed it at all, and only thought that I had - once the lid is pressed into the can, there's no way it can become dislodged of its own accord.

-when leaving the building at night, I have to turn off all the lights and then make my way down through the dark dining area to reach the door on the other side of the restaurant. One time, as I was walking to the door, a loud shouty shriek filled the air. I can still remember exactly how it sounded: kind of like "WHHOOOAAAAAA" with the end higher pitched. It totally freaked me out, and I was still shaking when I got to the car (after bolting to the door!)

Explanation: though it doesn't actually seem plausable to hear an outside noise that loudly in the dining area, that's what it must have been. Though it was very loud and sounded very near.

-items have spontaneously fallen to the ground, such as trays, bags of cheese, utensils, containers, with no one immediately around them to cause them to fall. Other workers have experienced this phenomenom, too, and jokingly blame these incidents on "the ghost".

Explanation: things may not be balanced very well and their centre of gravity gets overtaken by gravity itself. Some slight tremor in the building could also cause things to shift just enough to lose this balance.

So, on the one hand, it seems like my work building has a ghostly being that delights in teasing me with Magic Erasers and such; on the other hand, maybe it's all just coincidental things that can actually be explained away by logic. Although, I must note, that other managers have expressed belief in the presence of a ghost of some kind; one guy swears a ghost keeps knocking the freezer wall and has seen cupboard doors suddenly slowly swing open.

Who knows? It's fun to believe (or even half-believe) this kind of stuff, and get a little shivery thrill, but it's not cool if it goes too far and people get scared. I'm uneasy being by myself there at night, though logic would question, why? If lots of weird incidents happen that have your sister feeling frightened, and nothing can be logically explained, then there's an issue. If she doesn't mind too much (which, by the tone of the message, it seems), then it might be a fun little, "Oh, we've got ourselves a little poltergeist. *laughs* He turns on the tv at night, darn him; I think he's trying to bump up our electricity bill!"

And not to veer away from the main point of this thread, but does anyone else have ghostly stories to share?

I'm going to send her snowdogged's advice for now. Thanks everyone!

I think a power surge might also turn the TV on.

Edited by My_Shrimp_Cot

QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 31 2012, 12:08 AM)
I'm unsure about the whole world of ghosts... I've had instances at work that have been creepy, but I think these kind of things can be explained. If it helps anyone, here's what's been up:

[And for background information, I do not like those spongy Magic Eraser things - I can't stand the feel of them! And I'm often the closing manager, by myself, at the restaurant I work at, late at night]

-when sitting in the office, I often hear what sounds exactly like the 'click' of a high-heeled shoe on the tiled floor right outside the office doorway, which to this day still causes me to whip my head around, expecting to see someone there.
Explanation: buildings are full of weird noises.

-on several occasions I've found Magic Erasers placed on my purse / jacket, when I've placed the items down when all alone and gone back to them a few moments later. There's no way I could have accidently touched them to get them there!
Explanation: perhaps the Magic Erasers had fallen from an overhead ledge and landed on my stuff.

-I was checking a washroom at the end of night, and found a metal garbage can lid askew. I tut-tutted, I fixed it, left the bathroom, then went a few steps before remembering something else I needed to check in there. I went back in to find the garbage can extremely askew and had a mild freakout.
Explanation: perhaps I hadn't fixed it at all, and only thought that I had - once the lid is pressed into the can, there's no way it can become dislodged of its own accord.

-when leaving the building at night, I have to turn off all the lights and then make my way down through the dark dining area to reach the door on the other side of the restaurant. One time, as I was walking to the door, a loud shouty shriek filled the air. I can still remember exactly how it sounded: kind of like "WHHOOOAAAAAA" with the end higher pitched. It totally freaked me out, and I was still shaking when I got to the car (after bolting to the door!)
Explanation: though it doesn't actually seem plausable to hear an outside noise that loudly in the dining area, that's what it must have been. Though it was very loud and sounded very near.

-items have spontaneously fallen to the ground, such as trays, bags of cheese, utensils, containers, with no one immediately around them to cause them to fall. Other workers have experienced this phenomenom, too, and jokingly blame these incidents on "the ghost".
Explanation: things may not be balanced very well and their centre of gravity gets overtaken by gravity itself. Some slight tremor in the building could also cause things to shift just enough to lose this balance.

So, on the one hand, it seems like my work building has a ghostly being that delights in teasing me with Magic Erasers and such; on the other hand, maybe it's all just coincidental things that can actually be explained away by logic. Although, I must note, that other managers have expressed belief in the presence of a ghost of some kind; one guy swears a ghost keeps knocking the freezer wall and has seen cupboard doors suddenly slowly swing open.
Who knows? It's fun to believe (or even half-believe) this kind of stuff, and get a little shivery thrill, but it's not cool if it goes too far and people get scared. I'm uneasy being by myself there at night, though logic would question, why? If lots of weird incidents happen that have your sister feeling frightened, and nothing can be logically explained, then there's an issue. If she doesn't mind too much (which, by the tone of the message, it seems), then it might be a fun little, "Oh, we've got ourselves a little poltergeist. *laughs* He turns on the tv at night, darn him; I think he's trying to bump up our electricity bill!"

And not to veer away from the main point of this thread, but does anyone else have ghostly stories to share?

Honestly, I think you have a ghost where you work. All the things you've described are classic signs of a haunting of some kind. I wouldn't worry about it too much as it sounds like a playful spirit and not anything bad that can hurt you or cause you to quit.

I used to work at a KB Toys years ago at a local mall that was haunted by the spirit of an old man. Not sure why he was there though? I never saw anythig but I felt his presence a number of times. It would usually happen after closing while I was straightenting up the store. While going through the store I would sense something following me, which was impossible since it was just me and the manager and he/she would be in the backroom counting money and doing the paperwork for the day. But something was there.

The best way to describe is like stadning in line at a checkout with someone behind you, it's one of those situations where you don't need to look to know someone is standing there. When this happened at work everytime I looked behind me nothing was there but the feeling of someone watching me was very strong. I mentioned it to my managers after awhile and they told me about the old man. They had their own stories about him. One manager saw him at night in the back of an isle and went up to tell him we were getting ready to close but when he got to where the man was standing nobody was there.

There were a few other stories like mine where they sensed the presence of something but never saw anything. There were also some strange noises here and there that the longtime workers had heard that just didn't fit with anything going on in the store.

I do have some more stuff i've experienced at other points in my life but this post would go way too long if I mentioned them all now.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Aug 31 2012, 05:59 AM)

I'm going to send her snowdogged's advice for now. Thanks everyone!

I think a power surge might also turn the TV on.

You can also tell your sister that the word that they heard is probably one of the words that people yell out the most. It could have been kids playing a sport outside or even someone watching sports on tv and and yelling "Yeah" very loudly with there windows open.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Aug 30 2012, 05:44 PM)
She wouldn't joke about it and I dont know anything about this stuff.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p544/cmosure1/paula.jpg

Whatever she does, do NOT get a Ouji board and try to engage it in conversation...she may not like what it has to say. angry.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 31 2012, 07:56 AM)
There were a few other stories like mine where they sensed the presence of something but never saw anything. There were also some strange noises here and there that the longtime workers had heard that just didn't fit with anything going on in the store.

Reading your post reminded me of my encounters. In one apartment my drummer and I lived in, we had a "repeating" phantasm, a little boy running from the bathroom to a bedroom. I saw it when i first was moving stuff in the apartment. I didn't say anything to my roomie, who subsequently saw it and asked me if i had seen it. This place was EPIC man. Knobs on the stove would go on and off. Stuff would fly off of counters.

Then we did the Ouiji board...then we moved out shortly after that...never a problem with them since.

This stuff is very real.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 4 2012, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 4 2012, 08:06 AM)
Any news from your sister as of late? Inquiring minds want to know...

Last I heard it's been back to normal!

Thanks for asking.

MUst be one of those migrant ghosts - Coming soon to an attic or basement near you!