All Things Football - '12-'13

Dempsey must feel a right dick after telling his club(fulham),and fellow players that he was leaving for merseyside and Liverpool didn't even come in with an offer,still always a good way of letting your colleagues know what you think of them , oops.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 21 2012, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 21 2012, 11:21 AM)
Couple of Champs League qualifiers today. smile.gif

Looks like USA...er, Celtic is in the group stage, after a 2-0 away win. trink38.gif

Their first was really nice! I don't recall seeing their second.. I fell asleep. It was Samaras though. Go Greece trink39.gif

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 21 2012, 04:47 PM)

Looks like USA...er, Celtic is in the group stage, after a 2-0 away win. trink38.gif

Their first was really nice! I don't recall seeing their second.. I fell asleep. It was Samaras though. Go Greece trink39.gif

He headed the ball across the goalline and I thought somebody else finished it off but they gave it to Samaras. How bad is Slask Wroclaw, then? Helsingborg beat them 6-1 on aggregate in the last round. wacko.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 21 2012, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 21 2012, 04:47 PM)

He headed the ball across the goalline and I thought somebody else finished it off but they gave it to Samaras. How bad is Slask Wroclaw, then? Helsingborg beat them 6-1 on aggregate in the last round. wacko.gif

Celtic "one foot in the door" in the Champions League.. unsure.gif

I honestly thought Reading were gonna come out of Stamford Bridge with at least a point, and a bad referee decision gave Chelsea all 3.. Torres was a mile offsides. Oh well.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 22 2012, 04:01 PM)
I honestly thought Reading were gonna come out of Stamford Bridge with at least a point, and a bad referee decision gave Chelsea all 3.. Torres was a mile offsides. Oh well.

I wouldn't say a mile but yeah...and when are they going to tell goalkeepers to stay put in the last minutes of the game? This stunt never works! wacko.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 22 2012, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 22 2012, 04:01 PM)

I wouldn't say a mile but yeah...and when are they going to tell goalkeepers to stay put in the last minutes of the game? This stunt never works! wacko.gif

Clearly off, at least IMO.

Speaking of Keepers, two bad gaffes led to two goals.. Cech looked kinda like Rob Green on the second. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Aug 22 2012, 05:46 PM)
You might as well lose 4-2 as 3-2. It was a reasonable ploy in the first instance by the goalie, but he should have gone back after the initial corner didn't find him.

And how many times has this worked in the history of the sport, twice? Also, you don't know when the ref is going to blow the whistle for the last time. You may still have a chance to score the equalizer. It's curtains if it's 4-2.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 22 2012, 06:23 PM)
You might as well lose 4-2 as 3-2. It was a reasonable ploy in the first instance by the goalie, but he should have gone back after the initial corner didn't find him.

And how many times has this worked in the history of the sport, twice? Also, you don't know when the ref is going to blow the whistle for the last time. You may still have a chance to score the equalizer. It's curtains if it's 4-2.

Let's hope they don't get relegated on goal differential..

If you have two or more teams with the same amount of points at the end of the season, I would be in favor of other means of deciding who should be relegated. I remember in one league, back in the 80's, two teams were tied on points at the top of the standings, going into the last day. One of them won that last game 6-0, the other 7-1. After a long process, the federation decided to award the championship to the third place team. tongue.gif

Edited by blackhawkrush

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 23 2012, 10:32 AM)

If you have two or more teams with the same amount of points at the end of the season, I would be in favor of other means of deciding who should be relegated. I remember in one league, back in the 80's, two teams were tied on points at the top of the standings, going into the last day. One of them won that last game 6-0, the other 7-1. After a long process, the federation decided to award the championship to the third place team. tongue.gif

I've always been in favor of a play-off system.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 23 2012, 01:42 PM)

Yeah, but if you're trying to make the playoffs, you can always buy games from teams that don't give a damn because they're already seeded or they're out of the playoff picture. The problem with soccer leagues around the world is that there's a lot of poor teams who are willing to sell themselves cheap and try to earn an extra (dirty) buck.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 23 2012, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 23 2012, 01:42 PM)

Yeah, but if you're trying to make the playoffs, you can always buy games from teams that don't give a damn because they're already seeded or they're out of the playoff picture. The problem with soccer leagues around the world is that there's a lot of poor teams who are willing to sell themselves cheap and try to earn an extra (dirty) buck.

Ahh. Very valid point.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 23 2012, 04:33 PM)
Watching Barcelona-Real now. Barca is the attacking side but overall it's a bit of a schla03.gif

As am I.. these two teams are boring to watch sometimes..

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Aug 23 2012, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 23 2012, 04:33 PM)
Watching Barcelona-Real now. Barca is the attacking side but overall it's a bit of a  schla03.gif

As am I.. these two teams are boring to watch sometimes..

Not Ronaldo. facepalm.gif 1-0 Real...