The Jam v The Clash

treeduck

The Jam v The Clash?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Jam v The Clash?

• The Jam are the better outfit
    • The Clash are the cooler band

Are the Jam punk icons or just a bunch of pimply pussified punks? Is Paul Weller "the Modfather" or the douche father?

Are the Clash punk legends or fake fuckks who drink iced tea out of Jack Daniels bottles babe-ayy! Are the Clash crucial to the punk story or are they faux punks who sold out to America to become "classic" rockers for the rocking chair soccer moms of the 21st century in places like Omaha, Nebraska and Dallas, Texas? Will this poll be won by the Clash and voted by American faux punk fan voters, who wouldn't know a proper punk band from the butthole of a dead schnauzer?? (I think it will...but...)

...You decide...

cool10.gif

This to me is a competition between "some English band I've heard of that I know a lot of people used to be into back in the 70's or 80's or something" vs. "that seemingly overrated group that did the Casbah song with the armadillo in the video and the Should I Stay Or Should I Go song ."

Next I suggest a The Alarm v Madness poll (aka the "another English or maybe Irish group that a lot of people used to make a big deal about" vs. "that group that made that wacky One Step Beyond song/video and wore goofy 50's hats" poll).

I vote for confused13.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 28 2012, 07:07 PM)
This to me is a competition between "some English band I've heard of that I know a lot of people used to be into back in the 70's or 80's or something" vs. "that seemingly overrated group that did the Casbah song with the armadillo in the video and the Should I Stay Or Should I Go song ."

Next I suggest a The Alarm v Madness poll (aka the "another English or maybe Irish group that a lot of people used to make a big deal about" vs. "that group that made that wacky One Step Beyond song/video and wore goofy 50's hats" poll).

The Alarm were a big deal at that moment and made some truly great music from WALES btw damn it!!! wink.gif Liked the Monty Python type ska band Madness also ... "One Step Beyond....!" 653.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jul 28 2012, 05:22 PM)

The Alarm were a big deal at that moment and made some truly great music from WALES btw damn it!!! wink.gif Liked the Monty Python type ska band Madness also ... "One Step Beyond....!" 653.gif

ah Wales, sorry... unsure.gif

you might dig the clash, they have a boring 3 hour-long album, just like how many prog bands have boring hour-long albums

also goobs, i hate to defend the clash because i'm not really a fan of theirs, but saying that the clash are in the same league as one-hit wonders like madness is kinda silly considering the clash are one of the most influential bands ever

also, the clash wins this poll just on the strength of their first 2 albums alone, london calling is alright but their first 2 are so much ballsier, louder, way more raw, etc

I went with The Jam, even though I initially thought the were an early Kinks cover band when I first heard them.

I love The Clash, I just happen to like The Jam better.

Now, that The Alarm has been mentioned...

...I love The Alarm and they would get my top vote.

Long Live Wales / Long Live The Alarm!

The Clash is the only band that matters. Aren't they?

The Jam, to my ears, mimics its influences too much. The Clash took more chances and risks and where they succeeded places them among the best ever.

And London Calling is the greatest rock album of all-time.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 28 2012, 06:08 PM)
also goobs, i hate to defend the clash because i'm not really a fan of theirs, but saying that the clash are in the same league as one-hit wonders like madness is kinda silly considering the clash are one of the most influential bands ever

also, the clash wins this poll just on the strength of their first 2 albums alone, london calling is alright but their first 2 are so much ballsier, louder, way more raw, etc

that's cool. the clash to me are two songs that i know by them. madness i know one song. they might be influential as hell, but they're both pretty much non-entities to me.

Edited by rushgoober

I love both bands for what they were and what they did. I recognize the Clash as the more influential band, but like what the Jam did as well. This is difficult.

I went and listened to a few Clash songs and Jam songs on youtube. IDK, maybe you had to be English during that period, but it's hard for me to relate to that whole era. I really don't get the punk thing, and I also don't get the whole working class activist kind of songwriting. Mostly I guess I just don't understand what it was like to be English in the late 70's and early 80's.

Ironically, I absolutely LOVE psychedelic music from the late 60's and progressive rock from the early to mid 70's. I guess because the material was more hippie philosophy and/or based on philosophy or fantasy, which to me is more universal than some of what these other bands were singing about. It's not BAD music, not at all, I just have a hard time relating to it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 29 2012, 11:29 AM)
The thing about the Clash is they appear to be a bandwagon punk band for rock fans...

Maybe cuz they're one of only 2 punk bands (The Ramones) that actually were musically talented enough to write songs with real melody?

(I'm sure there at least one or two others but they haven't yet come to mind.......)

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jul 29 2012, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 29 2012, 11:29 AM)
The thing about the Clash is they appear to be a bandwagon punk band for rock fans...

Maybe cuz they're one of only 2 punk bands (The Ramones) that actually were musically talented enough to write songs with real melody?

(I'm sure there at least one or two others but they haven't yet come to mind.......)

musical ignorance isn't cool no matter how old you are, sorry man

When The Clash first came out, I didn't get or appreciate all the fascination Rolling Stone and other rock magazines raved about them. I was just into Rush & Yes prog concept rock. Clash and the like, completely on the other end of the spectrum. As i got older and get "The working class activist kind of song writing" wink.gif Goob.. I like the music of Woody Guthrie and Springsteen all branches from the same tree. I rediscovered how really good The Clash were years after the band no longer exist. Strong working ethic Clash known putting on marathon shows they would frequently change there set list at the spur of the moment, beckon back to rock shows of early days.

Agree with ReRushed London Calling awesome album.

Funny, Mick Jones was asked what he thought about The Alarm at one time and said There like the foil covering a chocolate bar all shiny but not the real thing.

Mike Peters of The Alarm was sad.gif when he heard this because The Clash was a band they looked up to.

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jul 29 2012, 02:46 PM)
When The Clash first came out, I didn't get or appreciate all the fascination Rolling Stone and other rock magazines raved about them. I was just into Rush & Yes prog concept rock. Clash and the like, completely on the other end of the spectrum. As i got older and get "The working class activist kind of song writing" wink.gif Goob.. I like the music of Woody Guthrie and Springsteen all branches from the same tree. I rediscovered how really good The Clash were years after the band no longer exist. Strong working ethic Clash known putting on marathon shows they would frequently change there set list at the spur of the moment, beckon back to rock shows of early days.
Agree with ReRushed London Calling awesome album.
Funny, Mick Jones was asked what he thought about The Alarm at one time and said There like the foil covering a chocolate bar all shiny but not the real thing.
Mike Peters of The Alarm was sad.gif when he heard this because The Clash was a band they looked up to.

yeah the clash dissed a ton of bands, i suspect a lot of it was just for publicity, i know for a fact they put down led zeppelin quite often

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 29 2012, 02:47 PM)
i could name a bunch of punk bands with melody but i mean, there's not much use in that, is there?

People who are looking for melody in punk bands are kind of missing the point...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 29 2012, 02:49 PM)
i could name a bunch of punk bands with melody but i mean, there's not much use in that, is there?

People who are looking for melody in punk bands are kind of missing the point...

yeah if it's melodic and it sounds good i take it as an added bonus but i never seek out melody in punk rock

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 29 2012, 02:52 PM)

yeah if it's melodic and it sounds good i take it as an added bonus but i never seek out melody in punk rock

Aye it's a bonus prize at best...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 29 2012, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 29 2012, 02:52 PM)

Aye it's a bonus prize at best...

trink38.gif

1022.gif