Nick was right! Specially on TMMB

losingit2k

I'm ususally pretty positive about RUSH, but Nick was right on the money when he stated that Neil was dragging down songs in S & A. There's no better indication of this than: "The Main Monkey Business!" I was listening to a play list I created of all RUSH instrumentals and when I got to this song all I could think was "this could have been a much better song if Neil would have stepped it up a notch, two or Three". It really drags on certain spots and it really cries out for some more aggressive drumming. It could have also benefitted form some longer and more intense drum fills. This is one of the main reasons that CA is much better than S & A. Neil with the help from Nick really got back to his true form and recorded some great drum tracks.

Any thoughts on this?

confused13.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 04:58 PM)
I'm ususally pretty positive about RUSH, but Nick was right on the money when he stated that Neil was dragging down songs in S & A. There's no better indication of this than: "The Main Monkey Business!" I was listening to a play list I created of all RUSH instrumentals and when I got to this song all I could think was "this could have been a much better song if Neil would have stepped it up a notch, two or Three". It really drags on certain spots and it really cries out for some more aggressive drumming. It could have also benefitted form some longer and more intense drum fills. This is one of the main reasons that CA is much better than S & A. Neil with the help from Nick really got back to his true form and recorded some great drum tracks.

Any thoughts on this?

confused13.gif

This is nothing new. He's been dragging the band down for over a decade.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 24 2012, 04:00 PM)

Any thoughts on this?

confused13.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 24 2012, 05:00 PM)

Any thoughts on this?

confused13.gif

Even though his drumming on Vapor Trails is really, really energetic.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 02:58 PM)

Any thoughts on this?

confused13.gif

Nick said Neil was dragging the songs on S&A down? confused13.gif

Regardless, I think TMMB is great, so no complaints from me! no.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 24 2012, 05:00 PM)

Any thoughts on this?

confused13.gif

dazed025.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 25 2012, 07:00 AM)
the beginning 25 secs sounded like it was going to be a great instrumental and than it started in with that new world music sound.  makes me cringe.

Hadn't listened to this song in a long time, so after your post I decided to do so, and as often is the case with your posts, I'm left with:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/17937498.jpg

confused13.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 25 2012, 02:48 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 24 2012, 02:58 PM)

Any thoughts on this?

confused13.gif

Nick said Neil was dragging the songs on S&A down? confused13.gif

Regardless, I think TMMB is great, so no complaints from me! no.gif

Yup!

S&A was a very creative album. Not just a bunch of Neil flailing songs, but thought out parts, typical of Neil. Especially when he played on MalNar on just a 4 piece.

On CA, the drumming is decent although the mix does not do it justice either. Plus Nick did everything he could do to revitalize the aging drummer. It worked because Neil was more youthful. He didn't really bring anything new though. This is still OK.

Edited by Gompers

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly, I think TMMB is a good instrumental but it may have been a Great Instrumental if Nick would have pulled more out of Neil like he did on Mal Nar and on CA. I think the drumming lacks a tad on that one.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 25 2012, 09:36 PM)
Maybe I didn't express myself correctly, I think TMMB is a good instrumental but it may have been a Great Instrumental if Nick would have pulled more out of Neil like he did on Mal Nar and on CA. I think the drumming lacks a tad on that one.

confused13.gif

I don't agree at all that Neil was dragging the music down on S&A but his drumming on later albums is kinda disappointingly unspectacular and subdued (quite understandable though in the case of VT). It's so great to hear on the new album (still feels so good to say that smile.gif ) insane and entertaining drums fills like I haven't heard since the '80s.

NeilFinal.gif

TMMB rocks like a mo-fo anyway! 1022.gif