Drums for a 7 year old

I would love any suggestions on a kit, or something that would be a good primer for my 7 year old son. He's got it in his blood, and thinks Neil looks funky in his hat. He goes nuts when he listens to Carnies--so awesome!!!

Anything that would be cool for starters???

Help a Brotha out!!!!

Go to Toys R Us. The drums are made by Fist Act and they are Real drums with Real drumheads . I got my son that kit last year. Black with Skulls 1022.gif I will warn you it comes in a million piece's so if you don't know how to set up a drum kit, pay for them to do it , you will thank me. Make sure you don't get the crappy, paper drumhead kit, get the real kit 1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 02:17 PM)
Go to Toys R Us. The drums are made by Fist Act and they are Real drums with Real drumheads . I got my son that kit last year. Black with Skulls 1022.gif I will warn you it comes in a million piece's so if you don't know how to set up a drum kit, pay for them to do it , you will thank me. Make sure you don't get the crappy, paper drumhead kit, get the real kit 1022.gif

thanks dude. He will freak out!!! And you say they will assemble for you? Is that right?

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 23 2012, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 23 2012, 02:17 PM)
Go to Toys R Us. The drums are made by Fist Act and they are Real drums with Real drumheads . I got my son that kit last year. Black with Skulls 1022.gif  I will warn you it comes in a million piece's so if you don't know how to set up a drum kit, pay for them to do it , you will thank me. Make sure you don't get the crappy, paper drumhead kit, get the real kit 1022.gif

thanks dude. He will freak out!!! And you say they will assemble for you? Is that right?

Every Toy's R Us i have been to pretty much puts anything together for a price

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 23 2012, 07:24 PM)
Only 7?  Start him off with the Rock Band drum set (from the game).  Your ears will thank me.
And if gets good at that, then get him a loud acoustic drum set.

biggrin.gif

rofl3.gif Been thinking about that aspect of it...thanks for the suggestion! My only problem is that I don't let my kids play video games. This could be a slippery slope....

2.gif

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Screw video games, get the Real thang 1022.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Jul 24 2012, 07:46 PM)
Check Craigslist for a used set. You'll get better quality for the same money you'd spend on a toy set.

thanks will do...all of the suggestions have been great!

Yeah, if you have a sound proof basement or a barn a basic used acoustic set on craigslist can be had for like $75.

If volume is an issue (cause it will be just noise not music for at least a year) maybe get him a few drum practice pads, or a cheap digital set with headphones.

I remember my drummer at age 8 banging on various cardboard boxes and it sounded good at the time. Don't over think it. Ha.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jul 25 2012, 08:03 PM)
Yeah, if you have a sound proof basement or a barn a basic used acoustic set on craigslist can be had for like $75.

If volume is an issue (cause it will be just noise not music for at least a year) maybe get him a few drum practice pads, or a cheap digital set with headphones.

I remember my drummer at age 8 banging on various cardboard boxes and it sounded good at the time. Don't over think it. Ha.

I have had lots of success on Craigslist. There are plenty of used e-sets that would be great for a kid.

Also, many craigslist sets I come across have practice pads for the acoustic heads.

Another craigslist upside is that if he doesn't like it, you can sell them and not be out any cash.

Happy hunting!