9.77 seconds, new 100m record

barney_rebel

Jamaica's Asafa Powell breaks 100-metre record after registering 9.77 seconds

DEREK GATOPOULOS

1 hour, 41 minutes ago

ATHENS (CP) - Asafa Powell set a world record in the men's 100 metres Tuesday, registering 9.77 seconds at the Tsiklitiria Super Grand Prix meeting.

The Jamaican, who finished fifth in 9.94 at the 2004 Athens Games on the same track, shaved one hundredth of a second off Tim Montgomery's record of 9.78 set in Paris in 2002. Montgomery's record already was at risk because he faces doping charges. The previous record was 9.79 set by Maurice Greene on the Athens track in 1999.

Powell, 22, already had the world's fastest time this year, a run of 9.84 seconds at the Jamaica International Invitational on May 8. He also ran a 9.85 on June 9 in the Czech Republic. His run Tuesday came with a tailwind of 1.6 metres per second, well below the legal limit of 2.0.

"I'm very happy that ... I achieved this performance," Powell said after the race at the Olympic Stadium. "I knew I could break the world record and I am very happy I succeeded."

It was the first major sporting event in Athens since the Aug. 13-29 Olympics last year.

"It's amazing that, after Maurice Greene, I also achieved a world record in this stadium," Powell said. "If you ask me what I can do more this year, you will just have to wait until the end of this year's season to see."

Powell is only the fourth non-American to hold the 100 world record since 1912. Canadian Olympic heroes Donovan Bailey of Oakville, Ont., (1996) and Percy Williams of Vancouver (1930) as well as Armin Hary of West Germany (1960) are the others. Canadian Ben Johnson also ran a 9.79 at the 1988 Seoul Olympics but lost his world recorld and his gold medal after testing positive for steroids.

Powell's run removed controversy from the world record. Montgomery's time of 9.78 could be wiped out if the Court of Arbitration for Sport rules that Montgomery was guilty of doping. Montgomery was charged by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency with using steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

Aziz Zakari of Ghana finished second in 9.99, and Jamaica's Michael Frater was third in 10.03.

Yesterday they actually made a "This just in" in interruption during the evening news to report this.

It is pretty incredible. I hope no drugs were involved.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 17 2005, 08:36 PM)
Imagine being plowed over like the girl in my sig, going those speeds?

She's a hottie. If you watch it in slow motion you can see her right butt cheek. moon.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 17 2005, 09:36 AM)

He's running about 10.23m/second. That works out to be 22.88 MPH.

I wonder how badly injured that girl was...

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Jun 17 2005, 01:44 PM)

And remember, that's average speed throughout... it builds up from start and then at full speed it's even faster than that...

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 17 2005, 09:49 AM)

And remember, that's average speed thought... it builds up from start and then at full speed it's even faster than that...

Good point I wonder how fast they are going the last 15m or so? Gotta be close to 30MPH.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 17 2005, 12:49 PM)

And remember, that's average speed throughout... it builds up from start and then at full speed it's even faster than that...

How exactly did that happen? Why was she walking on the track anyways? confused13.gif

Archived