CA = The Best of Rush...

spock

Maybe it's just me, but I've listened to S&A many times. Sure it was Rush playing new Rush music, it will obviously sound like Rush...

But, I just keep finding bits and pieces of old songs or odd references in CA that are just so...odd/obvious/up front.

If I tried to list them all, I'm sure half of you would quickly point out ones that I miss, so I'll just throw it out there - what have you heard or wondered about?

Like:

The obvious Bastille Day riff in HF - but I also heard some Bytor licks at the end of the HF solo

The lenses inside of me paint the world black; the pools of poison, the scarlet mist (Red Lenses? War Paint).

The closeness of the WTW argeggio with Carve Away the Stone

Coincidences? No way to not self reference? I only wonder because I just didn't hear so much old bits in VT or S&A...wonder if the music is a retrospective much like the story is a life story?

Or, I could just be donning my Captain Obvious cape again smile.gif

Edited by spock

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 7 2012, 07:13 PM)
Maybe it's just me, but I've listened to S&A many times. Sure it was Rush playing new Rush music, it will obviously sound like Rush...

But, I just keep finding bits and pieces of old songs or odd references in CA that are just so...odd/obvious/up front.

If I tried to list them all, I'm sure half of you would quickly point out ones that I miss, so I'll just throw it out there - what have you heard or wondered about?

Like:

The obvious Bastille Day riff in HF - but I also heard some Bytor licks at the end of the HF solo

The lenses inside of me paint the world black; the pools of poison, the scarlet mist (Red Lenses? War Paint).

Coincidences? No way to not self reference? I only wonder because I just didn't hear so much old bits in VT or S&A...wonder if the music is a retrospective much like the story is a life story?

Or, I could just be donning my Captain Obvious cape again smile.gif

Maybe they're just lacking in creativity tongue.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jul 7 2012, 09:56 PM)

Like:

Or, I could just be donning my Captain Obvious cape again  smile.gif

Maybe they're just lacking in creativity tongue.gif laugh.gif cool.gif

I try not to over analyze it so I don't notice it ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jul 7 2012, 10:20 PM)
I think a quote from Nick to the guys (probably from the Fan Pack mag) went something like this:

"You invented this shit. Own it."

Yeah - I think that's it. I wasn't aware of that quote from Nick - but I think they just had a lot of fun sprinkling parts of old songs into great new ones.

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 8 2012, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jul 7 2012, 10:20 PM)
I think a quote from Nick to the guys (probably from the Fan Pack mag) went something like this:

"You invented this shit. Own it."

Yeah - I think that's it. I wasn't aware of that quote from Nick - but I think they just had a lot of fun sprinkling parts of old songs into great new ones.

Agreed, and I think it's cool. Litlle "La Villa" moments sprinkled about, classic killer drum fills...it's what we've been asking for.

cheer.gif

<snip>

Or, I could just be donning my Captain Obvious cape again  smile.gif

I agree. I think this album is much deeper than we what we're seeing at face value. And it is not a coincidence, at least I don't think it is. I think CA is the culmination of Rush - the best of everything they have ever done distilled into 66+ minutes; Plus the bonus of tying it all in to an overall "concept" album scheme which is another nod to their roots.

I hope it stands the test of time and I believe it will.

I don't see any cape trailing you, so I don't think you're being the captain. wink.gif

Wish they had an emoticon for one hand turned upward in the air like a claw while saying "Spock..." smile.gif

I all for that "Spock Emoticon" trink39.gif

I was thinking that the pattern in CA reminds me of The Necromancer or Hemspheres, where Prince By-Tor or the character from Cygnus crosses over from one album to show up in another - just another reason why I'm loving CA almost 4 weeks later!

Live long and prosper!