Best openings in video games

Metal Gear Solid 2

Snake is epic.

Resident Evil 4

The village man.

Final Fantasy 6

Playing as the bad guy.

Final Fantasy 7

Jumping off the train and immediately busting ass, then Cloud's badass I don't give a damn attitude.

Final Fantasy 8

Squall versus Seifer, with that epic music, and the trippy "waiting for you" stuff

Final Fantasy 12

Basch kills the king you were fighting to protect.

My Favorite:

Final Fantasy 10

This is my story.

Enough Said.

And what a story it is.

Off the top of my head....

Batman Arkham Asylum: The whole thing where you capture the joker and follow him all the way to the center of Arkham only to have him escape was fascinating, kept me on the edge of my seat and got me hooked on a game. That is how you start your game.

Star Fox 64: SOS from general pepper followed by the R-wing launch. Simple, effective and epic for it's time.

Mass Effect 2: You die in the first 10 minutes in a very well played out scene that shows just how far things have come since the original only to be reborn into an amazing game.

Pokemon Yellow: Maybe it's just nostalgia and my childhood, but everything from the intro until the end of Oak's speech get me hyped and makes me want to play it all over again, then I remember how many hours it takes to do it properly.

God of War III: You start off right where the second ended, riding a massive titan and killing others right from the get go.

I'd have to throw the first Resident Evil game in there. That was the first game that I played where the storyline was so intense in the opening scene. Most games that I played before that had very little or no opening scene at all.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jul 27 2012, 10:39 AM)
Half-Life
Portal 2

Any Halo fans here..? Was anyone as excited as I was to watch/play Halo 3's beginning?

I loved Halo 1 and 2 but the campaign for H3 was terrible all around for me. I bought that game for the multiplayer. So many LAN parties...

As others have mentioned, for me the undisputed winner in this area is Bioshock. This brilliant game has an opening to match, perfectly drawing you into this world with incredible atmosphere right off the bat. Not to mention that the opening takes on new meaning when you get further along in the story, which was subtly hinted at right in the opening itself. The original Half-Life also deserves mention for having a great opening.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jul 27 2012, 09:10 PM)
As others have mentioned, for me the undisputed winner in this area is Bioshock. This brilliant game has an opening to match, perfectly drawing you into this world with incredible atmosphere right off the bat. Not to mention that the opening takes on new meaning when you get further along in the story, which was subtly hinted at right in the opening itself. The original Half-Life also deserves mention for having a great opening.

What about the ending? It made me cry...