The official Baroness thread

H. P. L.

I've heard this band compared to Mastodon. I love Mastodon.

I've heard Take My Bones Away, and I really like that song. Is that indicative of the rest of their music? Is this a band that I need to explore if I'm a big Mastodon fan?

I've heard this band compared to Mastodon. I love Mastodon.

I've heard Take My Bones Away, and I really like that song. Is that indicative of the rest of their music? Is this a band that I need to explore if I'm a big Mastodon fan?

For that type of song, yes. Most of the first two albums (Red Album; Blue Record) are in that Bones vein...riffy, punchy, heavy. Maybe 1/3 of the new album (Yellow & Green) is that way. On all three albums they also do instrumentals, some really mellow acoustic work, short interludes, etc. Some of the stuff on Yellow & Green is cool and trippy in a Floyd or Porcupine Tree vein. For instance, look up Eula on youtube, which is on the same record as Take My Bones Away. It's dark and moody but not heavy.

Vocally speaking Yellow & Green shows real growth. The first two albums are pretty vocally aggressive and not overly melodic. On the latest they're playing with harmonies and melodies a lot more to the betterment in my opinion.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I saw them last night with Royal Thunder opening for them. Fantastic show. I still can't hear very well. Probably the loudest and most metal show I've been to. I went in only knowing a few songs, but now I'm converted. Gonna go dig into their discography now.