Top 10 Rush songs

GUPower Windows

Simple enough. Top 10 Rush songs, any album, that you personally enjoy. They may not be the 10 best Rush songs, but 95% of their music is genuinely awesome yes.gif

It's pretty much impossible for me to rank these, but these are the 10 songs I just can't give up listening to.

*Totem (T4E) this song pops into my head all the time lol

*Grand Designs (PoW) kinda synth cheese but the production on PoW is some of the best, not to mention the solo... and the popified chorus.

*Bravado (RTB) There is a live bootleg I think is the best version, but idr which one sad.gif

*Chemistry (Signals) synth bliss. Sector Box Set Remasters make Neil's drums pop more, etc. so the everything doesn't sound so compressed. Lyrics are a little bit lacking, but they all contributed. The solo is one of my favorites.

*Limelight (MP) I'm usually not judgmental, but shame on you if you don't like this one dazed025.gif

*The Pass (Presto) Just a well written moving song. I think it's definitely one of their most touching.

*Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres (Hemispheres) the for reals song of the list, which is probably as long as all the others combined xD not really, but it's just magnificently crafted.

*Between The Wheels (P/G) Alex is my favorite member, annnd this song is just awesome.

*The Weapon (Signals) the P/G DVD/CD version so beastly. The Rush Sector Box Set made this song finally pop too.

*Where's My Thing? (RTB) topping it all off with my favorite instrumental. They're ALL superb, but the live solo for this on their Madison Square Garden bootleg from [april?] 1991 is just ridiculous, not to mention them messing around on the opening. It's insane.

Opinions/Lists of your own?

trink39.gif

1.. Cygnus X-1 book2 .. loved listening to this tune as a teenager and still to this day im in awe of the arrangements..great with headphones 2.. Witch Hunt .. Have always liked the atmosphere of this tune nothing like it 3.. Natural Science .. the clarity is unreal.. Love those trippy Rush tunes 4.. Territories .. as a drummer you cant but help digging the rhythmic feel of this song 5.. Analog Kid .. Really like this one live .. the move me u move me chorus always gives me goose bumps just beautiful power 6.. Chemistry .. another very rhythmic track that i enjoy anytime 7.. Show don't tell .. one of my favorite commercial Rush tunes very catchy 8.. Scars .. another track that always has me tapping on countertops 9.. By - Tor and the Snow Dog .. Song is alittle dated sounding but when they do it live pure bliss for me.. Alex's guitar the way he makes it sound and the way he shreds does it for me 10.. Ghost of a chance .. Rush doesn't have any ballads per say .. But this song to me just flows and is beautiful in a hard rock sense..Alex lead part is awesome 2.gif trink36.gif

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Jun 19 2012, 02:34 AM)
1.. Cygnus X-1 book2 .. loved listening to this tune as a teenager and still to this day im in awe of the arrangements..great with headphones 2.. Witch Hunt .. Have always liked the atmosphere of this tune nothing like it 3.. Natural Science .. the clarity is unreal.. Love those trippy Rush tunes 4.. Territories .. as a drummer you cant but help digging the rhythmic feel of this song 5.. Analog Kid .. Really like this one live .. the move me u move me chorus always gives me goose bumps just beautiful power 6.. Chemistry .. another very rhythmic track that i enjoy anytime 7.. Show don't tell .. one of my favorite commercial Rush tunes very catchy 8.. Scars .. another track that always has me tapping on countertops 9.. By - Tor and the Snow Dog .. Song is alittle dated sounding but when they do it live pure bliss for me.. Alex's guitar the way he makes it sound and the way he shreds does it for me 10.. Ghost of a chance .. Rush doesn't have any ballads per say .. But this song to me just flows and is beautiful in a hard rock sense..Alex lead part is awesome 2.gif trink36.gif

All great song choices yes.gif goodpost.gif

1 Natural Science

2 Xanadu

3 2112

4 La Villa Strangiato

5 Freewill

6 Subdivisions

7 YYZ

8 Spirit of Radio

9 Red Barchetta

10 Cygnus, Book II

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Natural Science

3. Limelight

4. Dreamline

5. Earthshine

6. The Pass

7. Cygnus X-1 Book II

8. The Weapon

9. Armor & Sword

10. Clockwork Angels (tenative...but it's that good)

p.s. Nice to see Chemistry get some love...It ranks very high for me also.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 19 2012, 12:10 PM)
top ten RUSH songs:

I think I'm going bald
Tai Shan
Bring a friend
Red Lenses
Countdown
Didacts and Narpets
Dogyears
Sweet Miracle
Totem Pole
Kid gloves
Superconductor

2.gif

Hey, Countdown and Red Lenses are great songs! So is Kid Gloves, and while Didacts and Narpets is a bit goofy on its own, I love it within the greater context of TFOL! yes.gif

You can replace those 4 songs with Virtuality, Face Up, Neurotica and High Water. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 19 2012, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 19 2012, 12:10 PM)
top ten RUSH songs:

I think I'm going bald
Tai Shan
Bring a friend
Red Lenses
Countdown
Didacts and Narpets
Dogyears
Sweet Miracle
Totem Pole
Kid gloves
Superconductor

2.gif

Hey, Countdown and Red Lenses are great songs! So is Kid Gloves, and while Didacts and Narpets is a bit goofy on its own, I love it within the greater context of TFOL! yes.gif

You can replace those 4 songs with Virtuality, Face Up, Neurotica and High Water. tongue.gif

ooooppppsss...forgot about those gems.....thanks dude! Gonna take seven cities of gold off and put them right on!

trink39.gif

1) Subdivisions

2) Limelight

3) The Necromancer

4) Jacob's Ladder

5) Tom Sawyer

6) Freewill

7) Fly By Night

8) Distant Early Warning

9) Chemistry

10) Red Barchetta

The Anarchist is knocking on the door.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jun 19 2012, 07:43 PM)
1) Subdivisions
2) Limelight
3) The Necromancer
4) Jacob's Ladder
5) Tom Sawyer
6) Freewill
7) Fly By Night
8) Distant Early Warning
9) Chemistry
10) Red Barchetta

yes.gif

Anarchist is an awesome song great choice

1. Marathon

2. Far Cry

3, La Villa

4. Cut to the Chase

5. Analog Kid

6. Ghost of a Chance

7. Camera eye

8. Middletown Dreams

9. Time stand Still

10. Tears

there are a few new songs from CA that i love,, time will tell

Hmmmm........ in no particular order:

-Hemispheres

-Everyday Glory

-La Villa Strangiato

-Finding My Way

-Faithless

-Red Sector A

-Vital Signs

-Marathon

-Available Light

-Bastille Day

and a bonus of Ceiling Unlimited!

Too early yet to consider songs from CA....

That is a very hard thing to do!

Leaving out CA because it's too new.

Today's list would be:

1. Subdivisions

2. Natural Science

3. Distant Early Warning

4. Red Barchetta

5. La Villa Strangiato

6. Manhattan Project

7. Animate

8. The Trees

9. Ceiling Unlimited

10. Armor and Sword

Yeah it can be pretty daunting since there are SO MANY good songs.

I had to leave off Earthshine and Between Sun & Moon sad.gif

This is a pretty ever changing kind of list deal, but a lot of the ones I have up have been on my rotation for a while besides Limelight and Hemispheres, but I mean, c'mon, it's Limelight & Hemispheres!

I like seeing all the CA stuff sneaking up in peoples list. The title track is one I've really been digging, as well as The Anarchist, but it'd be hard to knock anything off my list, even Totem wink.gif

edited to say I also like seeing Animate, Ceiling Unlimited, Available Light, etc. showing up. There were some I expect to see (Hemispheres, 2112, etc.) but there are always some surprises.

Edited by GUPower Windows

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jun 19 2012, 06:43 PM)
1) Subdivisions
2) Limelight
3) The Necromancer
4) Jacob's Ladder
5) Tom Sawyer
6) Freewill
7) Fly By Night
8) Distant Early Warning
9) Chemistry
10) Red Barchetta

Chemistry already there and The Anarchist maybe moving in? yes.gif

I've heard MP so many times I can't even listen to it anymore unsure.gif but I'm glad a lot of people still get enjoyment out of it, it's a great album. Permanent Waves is a different story biggrin.gif

The Anarchist is a song that took a few listens just for me to absorb. Now it gets better and better each listen...so at this point I could certainly see it as a top 25 candidate for me. For whatever reason, it feels like something off of "Grace under Pressure"...just the feel of it. Edited by A rocket that ignites itself

QUOTE (GUPower Windows @ Jun 19 2012, 01:04 AM)
*The Weapon (Signals) the P/G DVD/CD version so beastly.

+1. A stunning work. I can watch/listen to Neil in this video all day.

Not only that, this vid is a prime example of why I cannot agree with others in a different thread who remarked that Alex is essentially replaceable by many other guitarists. I'm sure others can cover his parts, but it's his unique textural compositions that makes him one of a kind. His flavor is what makes Rush quintessentially Rush.

I considered contributing to your thread, but I'm finding it impossible comparing songs across eras. Maybe I'll do my own era-specific list of faves.