Snakes and Arrows: a bit folksy for my tastes

zappafrank

I think I've finally put my finger on it all these years later why S&A doesn't stand out to me so much: too damn folksy! I love acoustic music, but there's something about the way Rush uses it on this album that doesn't do much for me. There are definitely some good songs on the album, and I certainly don't hate any Rush album (just prefer some less so than others).

It's all clearly well done, and there are definitely still unmistakeable elements that are Rush, but I think I have to be juuuust in the right mood for it really to move me. I've been listening to it for the last little bit (currently on Good News First) and while I've enjoyed it well enough, I'm reminded of why often I might reach for something else.

Also notice while listening that Geddy has gotten into the habit of multi-tracking his vocals a bit much. That's one aspect of CA that I don't care for so much, simply b/c it reminds me of S&A.

You nailed it. I hardly ever listen to that record because I only like about half of it. I like acoustic as well but not the way they used it here. I think that whole Feedback project started them down a road I wasn't crazy about. I think almost every song on CA is as good as the best song on SnA.(Far Cry)

Snakes and Arrows = A tub of crap

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 17 2012, 10:12 PM)
Snakes was mostly just plodding, depressing and boring... things I've never accused a Rush album of being before. GUP was a pretty down album lyrically and musically but at least they kept it entertaining.

You found Far Cry, MalNar, and Main Monkey Business boring? Okay...But I will agree Working Them Angels is a draaaaaaaaaaaaag.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 17 2012, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 17 2012, 10:12 PM)
Snakes was mostly just plodding, depressing and boring... things I've never accused a Rush album of being before.  GUP was a pretty down album lyrically and musically but at least they kept it entertaining.

You found Far Cry, MalNar, and Main Monkey Business boring? Okay...But I will agree Working Them Angels is a draaaaaaaaaaaaag.

take note...I said "MOSTLY"....meaning I left exception for Far Cry and MalNar. wink.gif

That being said, MalNar still sounds out of place on that album. Almost like it was written and recorded and put on the album at the last minute.....Oh wait....

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 16 2012, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 16 2012, 09:37 AM)
Snakes and Arrows =  A tub of crap

It's fuucking sexy!!

1022.gif

no.gif

Wowee. I like it. the only tracks I don't really like are Bravest Face, Malnar, We Hold On and Good News First I listened to it back to back with CA. and found it an overall more pleasing listen confused13.gif Different Strokes i guess.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000