HD Tracks Version

aharden

@rushtheband just posted a link to the HD Tracks 24/96 "Audiophile" version of Clockwork Angels: HD Tracks - Clockwork Angels. It's $20 and I'm tempted, but I won't touch these unless they've been mastered with more headroom than the CD. If anyone here makes the plunge, could you please scan the FLACs with a player like Foobar2000 and post the ReplayGain values? Edited by aharden

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 11:55 AM)
$20? Not even close to worth it to me for a difference you'll only barely notice on an expensive system.

I'd have to probably agree. The vinyl is the only way you'll notice a more open mastering and mix, and even that is debatable.

I have a lossless vinyl rip I've made and it still gives me ear fatigue after 20 minutes or so of listening. But it is noticeably (to my ears at least) clearer sounding than the cd.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 10:53 AM)
CD has a DR6 rating, as does the HDTracks version, so no less compression.

The vinyl has a DR11 rating.

Thanks. This is what I feared. Having extra bit depth and not using it seems completely silly to me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 10:55 AM)
$20? Not even close to worth it to me for a difference you'll only barely notice on an expensive system.

I bought it, and i can hear you bitching way more clearer bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 15 2012, 11:34 AM)

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 15 2012, 12:34 PM)

OMG! z7shysterical.gif

Where are these ratings and what do they mean?

QUOTE (mandydog @ Jun 15 2012, 01:21 PM)

The amount of dynamic range. Dynamic range is the amount of space between the loudest and softest parts of the music. To my ears, more dynamic range is better as it gives the music room to breathe and build up from quiet soft passages to booming loud ones instead of being mostly loud the whole time.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 12:25 PM)

The amount of dynamic range. Dynamic range is the amount of space between the loudest and softest parts of the music. To my ears, more dynamic range is better as it gives the music room to breathe and build up from quiet soft passages to booming loud ones instead of being mostly loud the whole time.

Where did you get these ratings? And does this mean that the vinyl sounds twice as good as the cd?

QUOTE (mandydog @ Jun 15 2012, 01:27 PM)

Where did you get these ratings? And does this mean that the vinyl sounds twice as good as the cd?

There's programs, such as Foobar, that can measure the DR in an audio file. It means there's less dynamic compression on the vinyl. According to some people here I'd be a troll if I told you that mean the vinyl sounded better, so it depends on how you like to hear your music.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 12:34 PM)

There's programs, such as Foobar, that can measure the DR in an audio file. It means there's less dynamic compression on the vinyl. According to some people here I'd be a troll if I told you that mean the vinyl sounded better, so it depends on how you like to hear your music.

OK. So this program rates the CD files and the HD files as a 6 out of what? And the vinyl is an 11 out of what?

QUOTE (mandydog @ Jun 15 2012, 01:39 PM)

OK. So this program rates the CD files and the HD files as a 6 out of what? And the vinyl is an 11 out of what?

It's not 6 or 11 out of anything. The higher the number the more dynamic range there is.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 12:40 PM)

It's not 6 or 11 out of anything. The higher the number the more dynamic range there is.

So the dynamic range meter on this program has an infinite top end? I'm not being a smart ass, but I just don't understand this. What is the highest dr number for Rush albums you have tested? Or what is the highest number you have seen and what artist/album was that?

i have seen a lot of comments on various threads about the sound quality of CA and have seen quite a bit of "muddying" the waters when it comes to discussing it wink.gif (you see what i did there wink.gif )

my goal here is just to "try" and explain certain concepts/terminology - (that people are bandying about in various posts at the moment) - in very simplistic terms for those that have no reason to know what they are smile.gif i.e. the ordinary listener

please don't shoot me down - i am not trying to be patronising to anyone and i am not claiming that what i am attempting to explain here is a definitive explanation - audio engineering is very complex subject and i am not in any way trying to claim this is definitive - i am just trying to add some clarity to terms used in any debates

first of all when people are commenting/complaining that the cd has been mastered to be too loud - this is called upward compression - i.e bringing parts that are not as loud as others up in volume level - so the quiet bits are not as quiet - this reduces the dynamic range (i.e. loudest to quietest) to normally around a 6 - 10db scale on modern rock cd

this type of compression has nothing to do with bass/treble per se, it does not directly limit the frequencies available within the audio - (that would be frequency compression) - it just tends to limit the light and shade in an album - less room to breath smile.gif

here enters the multiband compressor smile.gif this is where you are applying the principles i have described above but to specific frequency bands - now normally this would be applied to an instrument or a particular problem frequency in the mix where you are trying to compensate for uneven "loudness" playing.

i'm not sure any of this is useful at all smile.gif probably not - but thought it was worth trying to clarify smile.gif

best to all

d

Go f**k yourself and dont quote me everytime I type something. f***ing dickhead up my ass all day. Dont you have any hobbies or anything?

EDIT- Nevermind, the dude is over 20 years older than me. Im not arguing with some old cranky bitch.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 01:20 PM)

Go f**k yourself and dont quote me everytime I type something. f***ing dickhead up my ass all day. Dont you have any hobbies or anything?

EDIT- Nevermind, the dude is over 20 years older than me. Im not arguing with some old cranky bitch.

Ah, canadianice is following you around again? You should be able to block his posts in your settings.

QUOTE (mandydog @ Jun 15 2012, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 15 2012, 12:40 PM)

So the dynamic range meter on this program has an infinite top end? I'm not being a smart ass, but I just don't understand this. What is the highest dr number for Rush albums you have tested? Or what is the highest number you have seen and what artist/album was that?

Honestly I have not tested it on other Rush albums and I don't know what the highest rating could be.

I used the DR tool to visually verify what my ears are telling me.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 15 2012, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 01:20 PM)

Ah, canadianice is following you around again? You should be able to block his posts in your settings.

Didnt know that. I never talking to this f***ing guy and he's completely obsessed with me. Literally every time I write on this site he's hanging from my nut sack. When Im as old as he is and if Im harrassing people on an internet message board, Ill just hang myself with my own underwear before I end up like this ***t.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (aharden @ Jun 15 2012, 08:13 AM)
@rushtheband just posted a link to the HD Tracks 24/96 "Audiophile" version of Clockwork Angels: HD Tracks - Clockwork Angels. It's $20 and I'm tempted, but I won't touch these unless they've been mastered with more headroom than the CD. If anyone here makes the plunge, could you please scan the FLACs with a player like Foobar2000 and post the ReplayGain values?

There is automatically more headroom by virtue of being 24 bit. Bit depth determines dynamic range so there are 8 more bits of dynamic range to play with.

Why wasn't the hi res version available as the fanpack is what I want to know!

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif