Sound Issues? Try this...

launchpad67a

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 15 2012, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 15 2012, 08:15 AM)
ATTENTION ALL PLANETS: Here's the deal. I provided this remaster only as a test and somewhat of a solution for those who feel the record has sound issues. As I've said, the album sounds just fine the way it is but could use a little tweaking. I'm not going to remaster the whole record, it doesn't need it. As CygnusX-1Bk2 points out, you shouldn't have to remaster a freshly released cd.

I've already received many messages asking me to "do the whole record". And I've already provided solutions on how to "fix it yourself", with editing software OR with simple treble/bass controls on your stereo. If everyone thought the record sounded bad then I might provide a complete remaster, but it's just a small percentage.

The editing settings I tried and provided here took me 5 minutes to dial-in. They are very minor, (with the exception of cutting over 6dB of sub lows). Those with editing software can tweak until it sounds good to them.
For the rest, just Reduce the Bass and Boost the Treble on your stereos.

There is no doubt that the cd is bass heavy and treble light. Again, this can be fixed with the bass and treble knobs on your stereo. Recordings are never "one size fits all".

One observation I've noticed is, this album sounds great at low to mid volumes, but becomes rough at loud volumes. This is something that none of us can fix. My settings really help it at lower volumes, but could possibly make it worse at higher volumes.

It is what it is.

...and whatever.

I see what you did there. wink.gif

Busted! biggrin.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 14 2012, 10:17 PM)
Here's what I think of the self-proclaimed "expert" audiophiles who think they know better than RUSH and their studio team.

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

laugh.gif

Good one. You may want to go to the ear doctor and have that wax removed.

Holy crap, your remastered version of The Anarchist sounds PERFECT!! I wish you'd remaster the entire album for me in this manner, because 1) I'm lazy, and 2) I'm extremely impressed.

Thank you!!

People, you cannot re-master a finished cd.

Just like you can't get the Source Code from a finished complied program.

All we're doing here is manipulating the Overall EQ . The changes effect everything equally.

The fact people are finding "simple" eq changes dramatically "improve" the sound PROVES in my mind that the master AND mix should have went through a longer testing period before the release.

The fact that people are reporting great success at low - mid volumes but worse at higher volumes also supports that the album was mastered/mixed way too Hot.

While CA may not be clipping as in VT it is still much too loud.

I can take ANY album from Presto on back and listen at reference volumes with no apparent loss of fidelity. My speakers LOVE it.

Not with anything after CP though. My Paradigm Studio 60's HATE these albums once the volume is pushed past a whisper.

I have a feeling that the reason most don't agree is because they don't have any reference.

If some of you are amazed by the simple EQ changes (the before/after/before example) then you'd be floored by a better mix/master.

Edited by Two0neOneTwo

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 14 2012, 11:55 AM)
While I'm very happy with the overall sound and mix of CA, it's isn't without a few minor issues. First, let me say that the "mix" is there, meaning everything is audible and the levels are mostly fine. After deciding the mix was there, I realized some of the instruments weren't coming through as well as they should be. Hmmm, what could cause this? Being an audio and mastering engineer I was able to determine fairly quickly the cause. It's an slight EQ issue, especially in the top end, and the amount of low end on the recording was getting in the way of the clarity.
So I dumped a song into my mastering program just to see what was going on. Sure enough, the recording lacked some highs (just some specifically), and the low end (sub lows only) were a bit much, causing the highs to get lost. So it just lacked a bit of clarity in the top end, which is a direct result of the low end, and is easily fixed.

If you have audio editing software, Try This: (I used "The Anarchist" for my tests - .wav file)
Multiband EQ:
-5.0dB cut from 50Hz - 20Hz
-2.5dB @ 140Hz (Q=50)
+2.1dB @ 4400Hz (Q=50)
+2.2dB @ 6450Hz (Q=50)
+1.9dB @ 13350Hz - 20000Hz
Multiband Compressor:
-1.7dB cut from 46Hz - 20Hz
-0.7dB cut from 500Hz - 707Hz
Master Output:
-0.40dB Left and Right

With these settings the (sub) low end gets tamed down and the high end is pushed slightly, only at specific frequencies. Subtle changes, but fairly effective. Plus, the average overall volume (RMS) is reduced from -8.5dB to -10dB, making it not quite so loud.
This seems to give the mix a bit more clarity, to my ears. Try it out, or listen below.

Don't have audio editing software? Listen to the result: The Anarchist - Remaster (320kbps Mp3 file)

*since everyone here has the album, I don't have a problem posting this file. Don't abuse it.

wow I learned something new today...thanks for the ezxplanation...very welll explained

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Two0neOneTwo @ Jun 27 2012, 11:29 AM)
I have a feeling that the reason most don't agree is because they don't have any reference.
If some of you are amazed by the simple EQ changes (the before/after/before example) then you'd be floored by a better mix/master.

I see what you're saying, though most of us are already very much aware that we can't change the overall mix, save for a few tweaks via multiband EQ. Obviously it won't work wonders, but it can help "water it down" and clear it up a bit.

I often wonder what S&A and CA would sound like if they had Terry Brown working with them again.

The album...yes vinyl. Sounds very good on my home system with my multi channel EQ.

I just fooled around for 15 minutes on side one and found my sweet spot.

In the car I just lowered down the the bass to two clicks to the right, treble one click down from he max, and set the fade a click to the back to take out some mid-range (the album lives in the mid range as well as bottom).

While this is not a perfect Rush production by any means.....it is sonically fine and very listenable.

They have had one disaster. Everything else is fine. We can talk about every albums pros and cons if we want to get picky for shits and giggles.

But the sheer anger and venom about CA's production by a few is a little intense. And it honestly is not warranted to my ear.

Anyway the albums is awesome.

The tour can't start soon enough.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 29 2012, 02:07 PM)
The album...yes vinyl. Sounds very good on my home system with my multi channel EQ.

I just fooled around for 15 minutes on side one and found my sweet spot.

In the car I just lowered down the the bass to two clicks to the right, treble one click down from he max, and set the fade a click to the back to take out some mid-range (the album lives in the mid range as well as bottom).

While this is not a perfect Rush production by any means.....it is sonically fine and very listenable.

They have had one disaster. Everything else is fine. We can talk about every albums pros and cons if we want to get picky for shits and giggles.

But the sheer anger and venom about CA's production by a few is a little intense. And it honestly is not warranted to my ear.

Anyway the albums is awesome.

The tour can't start soon enough.

I dont know if I would call anger but it is disappointing for me. The frustrating part is I wanna crank this sucker, but I always find myself reaching for the volume knob to turn it down eh.gif In fact I was listening to the album on itunes today and when it was over, Far Cry came on and I was like "ahhhh, that sounds good". Should not be that way.

It sounds good with a nice set of cans though.

While this thread has been informative, it's really sad we are having these discussions in relation to a new Rush album. Just don't understand how older groups like Rush are dupped into conforming to todays recording techniques. More than anything I can't believe going along with hiring a guy that masters freaking rap albums. Oh how I miss the days of 'Mastered by Bob Ludwig'.