So why DOES it take so long?

Rush Cocky

When I finally buy Clockwork Angels at the earliest possible time on Tuesday, June 12th, I'm sure it will be flat-out awesome and blow me away just like I expected that it would.

But my question is: why does it take so friggin' long for Rush to make albums now?

And please don't give me the standard answer that they're old. IMO, that's a copout, because inspiration to write lyrics and music has nothing to do with one's age. If they were building houses for a living, then yeah I can totally see why it might take longer.

So what is it then? Is it family obligations? Seems like they all had those 25 years ago as well, when they were in the midst of putting out an album nearly every year, instead of once every 5 years (Vapor Trails 2002, Snakes & Arrows 2007 and Clockwork Angels 2012; Feedback doesn't count).

Is it the fact that they have nothing interesting to write about anymore? Does Neil have some sort of depression that makes the lyrics come slower? Are they all getting arthritis? There are meds for all that.

I just can't see that if they love what they do and are passionate about it why they have not just slowed down, but come to a tortoise-pace in fact.

(oh, and treeduck, feel free to make a 40-choice poll about this, I'm sure it would be hilarious as usual..... laugh.gif)

Thoughts anyone?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 6 2012, 09:18 AM)
When I finally buy Clockwork Angels at the earliest possible time on Tuesday, June 12th, I'm sure it will be flat-out awesome and blow me away just like I expected that it would.

But my question is: why does it take so friggin' long for Rush to make albums now?

And please don't give me the standard answer that they're old. IMO, that's a copout, because inspiration to write lyrics and music has nothing to do with one's age. If they were building houses for a living, then yeah I can totally see why it might take longer.

So what is it then? Is it family obligations? Seems like they all had those 25 years ago as well, when they were in the midst of putting out an album nearly every year, instead of once every 5 years (Vapor Trails 2002, Snakes & Arrows 2007 and Clockwork Angels 2012; Feedback doesn't count).

Is it the fact that they have nothing interesting to write about anymore? Does Neil have some sort of depression that makes the lyrics come slower? Are they all getting arthritis? There are meds for all that.

I just can't see that if they love what they do and are passionate about it why they have not just slowed down, but come to a tortoise-pace in fact.

(oh, and treeduck, feel free to make a 40-choice poll about this, I'm sure it would be hilarious as usual..... laugh.gif)

Thoughts anyone?

Perhaps, someone should ask them?, as only they know the answer to that question.

Alas, I've been wondering about this for years.

Of course the band will tell you now it's because albums don't make money anymore, and only touring does. That may be the case, but the real key point you hit on is this:

inspiration to write lyrics and music has nothing to do with one's age.

I've always thought if you're a creative band, the real juice would be in the creativity of making new music, even though considerations like touring, family, etc. are obviously factors to consider. Still, five years is a REALLY long time between albums no matter what fancy or varied reasons are given.

Still, that said, there is a new album now, so I'm happy. It's easy to get caught up in what might have been if they had been more interested in making new albums in the last 20 years, but unfortunately it won't change anything.

Of course the band will tell you now it's because albums don't make money anymore, and only touring does.

Then why make any new music at all if that's the case?

Or is it that the albums themselves become a reason to not only tour, but to make gross amounts of money off of ticket sales, to record a show near the end of that tour, sell the CD of the recording of that show and sell the DVD and/or BluRay of that show?

Not to mention the merchandising.....

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Jun 6 2012, 10:29 AM)
they could have their first #1... comp26.gif

And they might still, but the fact that somebody put the whole damn album on YouTube -- and it stayed up there for a couple of days -- that's going to slow sales a good bit. angry.gif

It's no longer a full time job for them. They are all well beyond wealthy, yet they still enjoy playing music.. especially with each other.

Back in the 70's, 80's and even early 90's RUSH was how they made a living.

Today RUSH is what they enjoy.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 6 2012, 07:31 AM)
Of course the band will tell you now it's because albums don't make money anymore, and only touring does.

Then why make any new music at all if that's the case?

Or is it that the albums themselves become a reason to not only tour, but to make gross amounts of money off of ticket sales, to record a show near the end of that tour, sell the CD of the recording of that show and sell the DVD and/or BluRay of that show?

Not to mention the merchandising.....

A lot of what they do is a cash grab at this point, but if they can still make an album as good as CA in these latter days, I'll give 'em some slack.

I think it's a combination of several things, included some of those mentioned in the OP. But, also . . .

When they were on a break-neck pace releasing albums, they weren't successful yet. There was pressure from themselves and their label to produce and succeed. Once they had achieive a certain measure of success, they could begin to negotiate better deals for revenue from touring, album sales, gear endorsements, merchandise, etc. Haven't you know young professionals who bust their ass early in their career so they can ease up later in life, retire early, and/or start another career with less time demands to fully enjoy their families and hobbies.

Touring is where the money is at for them. Planning tours, shooting videos, and doing second legs of tours takes time - time away from being able to hit the studio.

There are only so many bullets in the gun, so to speak. At some point, the inspiration available so that you're not repeating yourself (a challenge for any artist) begins to fade away. Think of authors that wrote classic novels - how many of them continue to do that over the length of time Rush has been making music? I think Rush has a bit of self-awareness to recognize that if they churn out an album every 18 months, they could quickly find themselves irrelevant if the quality slips beyond what even their most diehard fans will tolerate. And, fwiw, this is one of the reasons that I am amazed at how good Clockwork Angels is. The album, as a whole, is much better than SnA. (imho, there are some great songs on SnA, but too many clunkers.)

It's easy to miss the days of when they put out an album every year, and then for a long while every year and a half, but then again, every album in those days was a killer.

In the last 25 years, albums have gotten more and more sporadic - every two years, then three, and now five, and the quality hasn't had the consistency they once had.

It's unfortunate they're 5 years apart now, but it's a hell of a lot better than waiting 3 years only to get T4E and then 6 years only to get VT. At least the last two 5-year waits have produced two albums featuring some really great material. It gets much easier for me to forgive the long waits when the long waits result in something as good as S&A and CA.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jun 6 2012, 10:40 AM)
I think it's a combination of several things, included some of those mentioned in the OP. But, also . . .

When they were on a break-neck pace releasing albums, they weren't successful yet. There was pressure from themselves and their label to produce and succeed. Once they had achieive a certain measure of success, they could begin to negotiate better deals for revenue from touring, album sales, gear endorsements, merchandise, etc. Haven't you know young professionals who bust their ass early in their career so they can ease up later in life, retire early, and/or start another career with less time demands to fully enjoy their families and hobbies.

Touring is where the money is at for them. Planning tours, shooting videos, and doing second legs of tours takes time - time away from being able to hit the studio.

There are only so many bullets in the gun, so to speak. At some point, the inspiration available so that you're not repeating yourself (a challenge for any artist) begins to fade away. Think of authors that wrote classic novels - how many of them continue to do that over the length of time Rush has been making music? I think Rush has a bit of self-awareness to recognize that if they churn out an album every 18 months, they could quickly find themselves irrelevant if the quality slips beyond what even their most diehard fans will tolerate. And, fwiw, this is one of the reasons that I am amazed at how good Clockwork Angels is. The album, as a whole, is much better than SnA. (imho, there are some great songs on SnA, but too many clunkers.)

goodpost.gif

There are only so many bullets in the gun, so to speak.  At some point, the inspiration available so that you're not repeating yourself (a challenge for any artist) begins to fade away.

So does this mean that CA is their swansong?

QUOTE (Rushgoober)
6 years only to get VT

I want to be clear.....I do NOT fault the band in any way for taking a hiatus during the tragedies that Neil suffered. My emphasis is on what they have been doing since that time.

And I tend to agree that VT was not an incredibly strong album. It resonates well with a lot of fans, but I've never really gotten it. But I do remember at the time being so grateful that we finally got NEW RUSH! Especially when we thought we'd never hear from them again.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 6 2012, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (Rushgoober)
6 years only to get VT

I want to be clear.....I do NOT fault the band in any way for taking a hiatus during the tragedies that Neil suffered. My emphasis is on what they have been doing since that time.

And I tend to agree that VT was not an incredibly strong album. It resonates well with a lot of fans, but I've never really gotten it. But I do remember at the time being so grateful that we finally got NEW RUSH! Especially when we thought we'd never hear from them again.

Yes, good to clarify. That is the one time where a REALLY long wait between albums was completely justified on every level.

Still, as a fan it was disappointing to wait 6 years for what was by far the worst album of their career. Thankfully, they made up for it with their next two.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 6 2012, 04:38 PM)
It's no longer a full time job for them. They are all well beyond wealthy, yet they still enjoy playing music.. especially with each other.

this.

Well, saying it's their age might seem like a copout but it's certainly one of the reasons they take awhile between albums now. I'll only be 34 this year but from what I hear from people who are older it does take a little longer to recover from things when you get up towards the age the guys in Rush are now. They did the album/tour/album/tour every year or every other year from their first album all the way through to Counterparts, so like a lot of bands that have been around for awhile they choose to take their time now and slow down and enjoy the little things in life. If you're releasing a new album every year or two with touring on top of that, you don't leave much time for anything else and they probably want to do more with their lives than just to be working all the time.

Sure, they band has had family comitments for a long time but think of how many things with their family and friends they missed because they were recording and on the road for about over 20 years straight? There may have been special moments like a child's first steps or words, missing their birthdays and maybe wedding's or other special moments in their loved ones lives. Like a lot of established bands they just wanna relax and enjoy the time they have with the ones they care about.

Having enough money i'm sure is also a factor. The guys in the band have probably consumed a pretty big bank account for themselves with all those years of continuous work through 1974 to 1997. If you and your family are financially secure and you didn't need to work as often because of it, wouldn't you take some extra time off and do what ever you wanted? I know I would.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 6 2012, 09:18 AM)

Thoughts anyone?

They're old dude. They have other crap going on in their lives. They arent 25 anymore when everything they did revolved around the band. The band is now just 1 part of their lives, which is probably why the writing is not as good as it once was.

And anyone who says 60 is not old must be 60 themselves, because it is old.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jun 6 2012, 10:56 AM)

this.

I disagree with both of you.

If it's not to make money, why do they tour so much?

And why are premium seats to any show hundreds of dollars?

It's hard to even get a nosebleed seat for $50.

It is about the money, because Rush knows they aren't going to be around forever.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 6 2012, 10:58 AM)
They're old dude. They have other crap going on in their lives. They arent 25 anymore when everything they did revolved around the band. The band is now just 1 part of their lives, which is probably why the writing is not as good as it once was.

We all have other crap going on in our lives, doesn't mean we quit our jobs because of that "crap".

Especially when you love what you do.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 6 2012, 10:03 AM)

We all have other crap going on in our lives, doesn't mean we quit our jobs because of that "crap".

Yeah but the thing is they dont need the money. They dont need to be doing this every 2 years at their age and obviously they just dont want to.

We know that they dont love touring due to the grind and how many months out of the year, but that comes with making an albums so it has to be done, and I just dont think they're willing to do it every 2 years. 5 years seems to be what they're willing to do at this point and its better than nothing, isnt it?

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 6 2012, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jun 6 2012, 10:56 AM)

this.

I disagree with both of you.

If it's not to make money, why do they tour so much?

And why are premium seats to any show hundreds of dollars?

It's hard to even get a nosebleed seat for $50.

It is about the money, because Rush knows they aren't going to be around forever.

That would be a question to ask Live Nation and Ray Daniels.

RUSH is a commodity. And in the marketplace, a commodity is going to be priced for maximum profit. The question was why so long, not why so expensive.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 6 2012, 10:03 AM)

You are aware there's a BIG difference between us regular folks not going to work than there is with a rock band right? We don't have millions sitting in the bank, they do.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 6 2012, 11:13 AM)
RUSH is a commodity. And in the marketplace, a commodity is going to be priced for maximum profit. The question was why so long, not why so expensive.

The point I dispute is that it's not about the money.

Sure it's well known that albums don't make the money that touring does, and that explains the emphasis on touring.....to make money.

If Rush didn't care about money, they'd be in the studio ALL THE TIME and not tour at all. Especially since they're old, and touring takes a lot of energy out of you.