Best new artists of the 2000s

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 24 2012, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 24 2012, 02:19 AM)
No contest ..... Lady Gaga wub.gif

no.gif Katy Perry wub.gif

ranton.gif

First of all, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. So I gotta step up and share my feelings on Gaga.... while Katy Perry is a talentless hack in every way, getting by completely on looks and boobs, Lady Gaga is truly talented.

She is a consummate pop entertainer.... she has a captivating, unique voice, she can dance well, she writes her own songs, she doesn't use Auto-tune, she puts on a great live show, and she has strong artistic vision. Sure, she steals a lot of ideas from Madonna.... but what great artist doesn't steal? Rush steals from time to time.

The Fame was obviously a run-of-the-mill cookie-cutter pop album. But once it catapulted her into fame, she decided to take her music and her whole image in an entirely different direction.... how many of you have actually listened to Born This Way? It's one of the best pop albums of the last 20 years. I'm honestly excited to see what Gaga comes up with next. She is a unique voice in mainstream Top 40 music. Comparing her to Katy Perry is just insulting.

rantoff.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 24 2012, 10:48 PM)

ranton.gif

First of all, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. So I gotta step up and share my feelings on Gaga.... while Katy Perry is a talentless hack in every way, getting by completely on looks and boobs, Lady Gaga is truly talented.

She is a consummate pop entertainer.... she has a captivating, unique voice, she can dance well, she writes her own songs, she doesn't use Auto-tune, she puts on a great live show, and she has strong artistic vision. Sure, she steals a lot of ideas from Madonna.... but what great artist doesn't steal? Rush steals from time to time.

The Fame was obviously a run-of-the-mill cookie-cutter pop album. But once it catapulted her into fame, she decided to take her music and her whole image in an entirely different direction.... how many of you have actually listened to Born This Way? It's one of the best pop albums of the last 20 years. I'm honestly excited to see what Gaga comes up with next. She is a unique voice in mainstream Top 40 music. Comparing her to Katy Perry is just insulting.

rantoff.gif

Dude, couldn't have said it better myself! Everyhting I always say to defend her you said it exactly! I truly love Gaga- and yeah, BTW is a fukking killer album. I can't wait for the tour to come to America- I don't care how much I have to spend to see her. Get ready for the backlash coming from the other members! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 25 2012, 01:41 AM)

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

Dude, couldn't have said it better myself! Everyhting I always say to defend her you said it exactly! I truly love Gaga- and yeah, BTW is a fukking killer album. I can't wait for the tour to come to America- I don't care how much I have to spend to see her. Get ready for the backlash coming from the other members! tongue.gif

Lady Gaga is purely derivative and she's a hack.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 25 2012, 12:55 AM)

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

dazed025.gif

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

Justin Bieber wub.gif

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

I'll admit she has some artistic merit, but goddamnit I know for a fact she's weird because she's trying to be, not because she' an artist. And if she's a real artist she would shoot for something more artistic, not derivative of other people's acts. Yeah, her music is catchy and hell I enjoy it when f***ing around with friends. But seriously, she's not the artist so many make her out to be. It's almost fact. So many people worship her, and say she's a real artist, and then when they hear classical or jazz or something, they say it's not real music. That's in my experience, after conducting a research project dealing with this stuff. So maybe not for you.

Bottom line, I respect your opinion, but I hope you acknowledge that she's simply not as talented as so many other artists.

http://i.imgur.com/bRuGc.jpg

Actually cuter without makeup, IMO.

Gaga..not so much. Poor thing.

http://fashiondesignerbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Lady-Gaga-No-MakeUp.jpg

But this is only looks.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 25 2012, 08:56 AM)

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

I'll admit she has some artistic merit, but goddamnit I know for a fact she's weird because she's trying to be, not because she' an artist. And if she's a real artist she would shoot for something more artistic, not derivative of other people's acts. Yeah, her music is catchy and hell I enjoy it when f***ing around with friends. But seriously, she's not the artist so many make her out to be. It's almost fact. So many people worship her, and say she's a real artist, and then when they hear classical or jazz or something, they say it's not real music. That's in my experience, after conducting a research project dealing with this stuff. So maybe not for you.

Bottom line, I respect your opinion, but I hope you acknowledge that she's simply not as talented as so many other artists.

Are you boys part of that little pony business too?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 25 2012, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 25 2012, 08:56 AM)

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

Are you boys part of that little pony business too?

unsure.gif

laugh.gif

I don't listen to much new music, but of the "newer" artists, I particularly like the Decemberists and Florence + the Machine.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 25 2012, 07:56 AM)

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

I DO think Gaga is very talented- do I think she's as talented as Keith Emerson or Steve Howe? Of course not, but I can admit there are more talented musicians out there.

I'd like to add Astra to my list now that I've heard a few tracks from their first two albums! All I can say is WOW! Where have these guys been all my life? I'm looking forward to a long and fruitful career.

Also should add Baroness.

Edited by CrossedSignals

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 25 2012, 08:56 AM)

http://i.imgur.com/bRuGc.jpg

Actually cuter without makeup, IMO.

Gaga..not so much. Poor thing.

http://fashiondesignerbusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Lady-Gaga-No-MakeUp.jpg

But this is only looks.

Weird.... Katy Perry with makeup is fine, but a bit over-the-top. She really needs to stop caking on the makeup. Katy Perry without makeup is attractive too, but she doesn't come close to Gaga. I wuv Gaga. She is strange and beautiful.

Alright, now that I've thrown all my credibility out the window, we return you to your regularly scheduled program.... oh, how did this thread go so wrong? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 25 2012, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 25 2012, 07:56 AM)

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

I DO think Gaga is very talented- do I think she's as talented as Keith Emerson or Steve Howe? Of course not, but I can admit there are more talented musicians out there.

@ Enemy Within 77

laugh.gif Sorry dude, I thought you were being sarcastic! I'm just way overly defensive when it comes to Gaga on a rock band's forum (my favorite rock band's forum no less). That said, I'm glad I raised the issue! And I completely agree, obviously she is not freaking Steve Howe or Geddy Lee, but when it comes to pop music she is a total breath of fresh air. Her music is enjoyable, thought-provoking, and unique, and the woman's got talent. Born This Way f'n rocks. trink39.gif

@ Good,bad,andrush

I think I understand where you're coming from, but I don't fully agree. To wit....

And if she's a real artist she would shoot for something more artistic, not derivative of other people's acts.

Every 'real artist' I can think of is derivative is some way. In my book, art is all about derivation, refinement, and improvement. But to improve on something you first have to borrow from it. Beethoven did it. Led Zeppelin did it. Rush does it. Gaga does it.

So many people worship her, and say she's a real artist, and then when they hear classical or jazz or something, they say it's not real music.

Well, that's just sad. And I feel sorry for those people. But that doesn't make Lady Gaga any less of an artist. It just makes those people narrow-minded and shallow.

I respect your opinion too, and you make some valid points. trink39.gif And yes, of course, I believe there are artists who are more talented than Lady Gaga. But remember that talent is diverse, and different artists are talented in different ways.

God, are you sure that is her without makeup?

Damn, she is beautiful.... what fantastic facial features. wub.gif

wub.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 26 2012, 03:26 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ May 25 2012, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 25 2012, 07:56 AM)

ranton.gif

rantoff.gif

@ Enemy Within 77

laugh.gif Sorry dude, I thought you were being sarcastic! I'm just way overly defensive when it comes to Gaga on a rock band's forum (my favorite rock band's forum no less). That said, I'm glad I raised the issue! And I completely agree, obviously she is not freaking Steve Howe or Geddy Lee, but when it comes to pop music she is a total breath of fresh air. Her music is enjoyable, thought-provoking, and unique, and the woman's got talent. Born This Way f'n rocks. trink39.gif

@ Good,bad,andrush

I think I understand where you're coming from, but I don't fully agree. To wit....

And if she's a real artist she would shoot for something more artistic, not derivative of other people's acts.

Every 'real artist' I can think of is derivative is some way. In my book, art is all about derivation, refinement, and improvement. But to improve on something you first have to borrow from it. Beethoven did it. Led Zeppelin did it. Rush does it. Gaga does it.

So many people worship her, and say she's a real artist, and then when they hear classical or jazz or something, they say it's not real music.

Well, that's just sad. And I feel sorry for those people. But that doesn't make Lady Gaga any less of an artist. It just makes those people narrow-minded and shallow.

I respect your opinion too, and you make some valid points. trink39.gif And yes, of course, I believe there are artists who are more talented than Lady Gaga. But remember that talent is diverse, and different artists are talented in different ways.

Wasn't sure if you were aiming the sarcasm towards me or Tommy. No harm done. Just glad I'm not the only Gaga fan on here. trink39.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 26 2012, 04:29 AM)

wub.gif

To each his own.

She's a hack.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 26 2012, 01:08 PM)

wub.gif

To each his own.

She's a hack.

yes.gif

I'm really surprised and thrilled that even one other person likes Gaga!

Also, I realized that I totally forgot to include Muse! Huge omission.

wub.gif

unsure.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 27 2012, 01:06 PM)

wub.gif

unsure.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

Good to know there's one fewer guy standing between me and Gaga! laugh.gif

More Gaga for me wub.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 27 2012, 11:19 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 27 2012, 01:06 PM)

wub.gif

unsure.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

Good to know there's one fewer guy standing between me and Gaga! laugh.gif

More Gaga for me wub.gif

There's NO ONE standing in between you guys.

You should go get married now. wink.gif