OFFICIAL Indie Thread

I will waffen093.gif people who come in here and say Indie isn't music.. this is for us Indie fans discovering up and comers and already known bands.. I LOVE INDIE!

Indie rock is so 2000s. It's all about chillwave now.

I kid, I kid. tongue.gif Love me some indie but haven't been following or listening to much lately. I would love some recommendations.

I'm a big fan of Arcade Fire. Can't wait for their next album.... their first three were excellent!

Well, Indie/Alternative..

Miike Snow is definitely one to check out, both their debut and "Happy To You" albums are excellent.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 15 2012, 11:19 PM)
Well, Indie/Alternative..

Miike Snow is definitely one to check out, both their debut and "Happy To You" albums are excellent.

Love Miike Snow!

Anyone here listen to Passion Pit?

Aw man, you've got me on an indie kick now. smile.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 15 2012, 10:23 PM)
What exactly is alternative? I've never really known what type of music that refers to. I'm not trying to start a genre argument but are bands like Radiohead, who I love, considered alternative?

It seems like it's anything that isn't rock, rap, or country..

I've even heard some modern Jazz (which I love as well) called alternative..

I'd consider Coldplay's Parachutes album to be alternative. But really it's all what you see in the genre. I don't think there's a definition. And iTunes lies..

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 15 2012, 11:23 PM)
What exactly is alternative? I've never really known what type of music that refers to. I'm not trying to start a genre argument but are bands like Radiohead, who I love, considered alternative?

I always thought the "alt rock" and "indie rock" genre labels were kind of arbitrary and silly, but I've always thought alt rock was more oriented towards heavy guitars and drums and more traditional classic rock-based songwriting with a modern influence, while indie rock is more folk-oriented, with acoustic or lightly distorted guitars and a more singer-songwriter-type approach.

Radiohead is definitely alt rock. Could be considered prog rock too.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:26 PM)

I always thought the "alt rock" and "indie rock" genre labels were kind of arbitrary and silly, but I've always thought alt rock was more oriented towards heavy guitars and drums and more traditional classic rock-based songwriting with a modern influence, while indie rock is more folk-oriented, with acoustic or lightly distorted guitars and a more singer-songwriter-type approach.

IT seems like alot of Indie bands tend to put out a number of alternative sounding songs, while alot of Alternative bands put out an Indie sound. They're two peas in a pod in my opinion.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 11:26 PM)

I've kind of considered Radiohead to be progressive but at the end of the day the genre labels don't really matter all that much as long as the music's good.

Some modern proggy stuff that I guess can be considered alt rock would be The Fierce and The Dead and their guitarist Matt Stevens' solo work. I also love Muse which I kind of associate with Radiohead.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 15 2012, 11:28 PM)

IT seems like alot of Indie bands tend to put out a number of alternative sounding songs, while alot of Alternative bands put out an Indie sound. They're two peas in a pod in my opinion.

That's true. The genres have a lot of overlap. Like R.E.M. .... what the hell are they? And early Death Cab sound like alt rock to me, but they are generally considered indie.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 15 2012, 11:28 PM)

That's true. The genres have a lot of overlap. Like R.E.M. .... what the hell are they? And early Death Cab sound like alt rock to me, but they are generally considered indie.

iTunes has Viva la Vida or Death as "Indie".. That's when I lost knowledge of the genres. Lol.. and congrats ahead of time on your 1000th post, I just happened to notice tongue.gif

Music is obviously changing, and in my opinion, though I didn't live through the 80's, it's taking a turn similar to 80's music like Depeche Mode (great band).

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 15 2012, 11:35 PM)
iTunes has Viva la Vida or Death as "Indie".. That's when I lost knowledge of the genres.

Well, that's just bizarre. I've always considered Coldplay alt. VLV was a good album but I think Parachutes is my fav by them.

Lol.. and congrats ahead of time on your 1000th post, I just happened to notice tongue.gif

Thanks! I've had a hell of a time here. TRF is the greatest! It's been fun.

Music is obviously changing, and in my opinion, though I didn't live through the 80's, it's taking a turn similar to 80's music like Depeche Mode (great band).

Definitely. The 80s is back, baby! I LOVE 80's synthpop and New Wave (including Depeche), so I'm happy as a clam.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 10:44 PM)
iTunes has Viva la Vida or Death as "Indie".. That's when I lost knowledge of the genres.

Well, that's just bizarre. I've always considered Coldplay alt. VLV was a good album but I think Parachutes is my fav by them.

Lol.. and congrats ahead of time on your 1000th post, I just happened to notice tongue.gif

Definitely. The 80s is back, baby! I LOVE 80's synthpop and New Wave (including Depeche), so I'm happy as a clam.

You've made three statements in one post.. and I completely agree with all of them.

I LOVE Parachutes beyond the word love.. it's so good IMO

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 15 2012, 11:58 PM)

You've made three statements in one post.. and I completely agree with all of them.

trink39.gif Puttin' it on right now. music.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 15 2012, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ May 15 2012, 11:58 PM)

trink39.gif Puttin' it on right now. music.gif

I could listen to Trouble all day long.. no joke. trink39.gif

Not trying to steer the thread off course, but I too have a hard time understanding what different people mean by "indie." For me, "indie" refers to a certain level of recording budgets, promotion, and distribution, or the lack thereof. With that in mind, I don't think of groups like Arcade Fire and The Decemberists as "indie." To be sure, they were at one time indie bands. But at this point in their respective careers they clearly have hefty marketing machines behind their product.

Now I must admit, I have no suggestions for an alternative label (pun intended). I usually end up calling this stuff "college rock," in the tradition of REM.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ May 16 2012, 12:47 PM)
Not trying to steer the thread off course, but I too have a hard time understanding what different people mean by "indie." For me, "indie" refers to a certain level of recording budgets, promotion, and distribution, or the lack thereof. With that in mind, I don't think of groups like Arcade Fire and The Decemberists as "indie." To be sure, they were at one time indie bands. But at this point in their respective careers they clearly have hefty marketing machines behind their product.

Now I must admit, I have no suggestions for an alternative label (pun intended). I usually end up calling this stuff "college rock," in the tradition of REM.

You're definitely right, and that's where the 'indie' label originated, but it has certainly morphed into a distinctive style/genre of which the Arcade Fire and the Decemberists (though they've tended more towards classic/prog rock lately) are part.

Regardless, it's still a silly genre label. tongue.gif

Lately, I've been into bands like shels RE-EDIT: and Gifts From Enola. They've definitely got an indie sound, but I've heard them called post-rock.

As far as I can tell, post-anything (post-metal, punk, rock, ect.) just means indie with a LOT of instrumental. There's an asthetic at work, but I can't put my finger on it. Can anyone shed some light for me? bacon.gif

Edited by Poiyple Platypus

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 16 2012, 03:53 PM)
Grizzly Bear and Deerhunter are two excellent indie bands.

Yeah I like them both alot. Modest Mouse and Nico Vega are also some of my favorite Indie bands out there too.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 16 2012, 10:33 PM)
Don't know if they are alt or indie but I love Death Cab for Cutie and Silversun Pickups.

Definitely seem like indie to me!