RECIPE CLUB

Janie

Can we do this? I ask because last night I tried a new recipe and it was horrid! I don't think I quite understood the recipe well enough, but IDK. I thought it might be nice to have a place to post recipes and ask for assistance or give feedback. Maybe a few others would be willing to try this particular recipe and see what they find? confused13.gif Might be interesting to fix recipe disasters or share in successes.

CHILE SHRIMP TACOS (from Cooking Light)

1 large grapefruit

2 cloves garlic, minced, divided

1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed

1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided

1 tsp chile powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 lime, zested, juiced

1 avocado, peeled, pitted

8 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed

Zest grapefruit and set zest aside in a medium bowl. Segment grapefruit. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Reserve juice in bowl and transfer segment pieces to bowl with zest. (Ok, first, I didn't use a grapefuit as I hate the dang things. I used an orange instead. Honestly, I think the zest and segments complicated the dish which I would have preferred to have kept as simple as possible. Second, the directions never once say anything about juicing. If I'm merely slicing chunks of the fruit up, where is all this juice coming from?? At least enough juice to warrant reserving it in a separate bowl?? Since the recipe technically calls for juice I did save a few orange segments and squeeze some juice out.)

To bowl with juice (!?), add half the garlic, shrimp, 1/4 cup onions, chile powder and salt; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.

Prepare guacamole: (Their directions - which I used but this is so not my own recipe which I'd probably use next time as theirs was icky.) To bowl with segments and zest, add remaining half of garlic and 1/4 cup onions. Stir in lime zest and juice, then smash avocado to desired consistency. Cover tightly and refrigerate until needed.

Heat a large saute pan on medium-high heat. Add shrimp mixture and saute, stirring frequently, until shrimp are pink and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Spread guacamole over tortillas and top with shrimp, dividing evenly. (Against better judgment, I added the shrimp right to the pan. Even though there wasn't a lot of citrus juice, I felt that the shrimp more or less boiled instead of fried. They turned pink and curled up fast but still just... boiled, instead of fried. The minute I saw them start curling, I removed them from the pan, cranked the heat to reduce the juices, then lowered the heat some and re-added the shrimp. The damage was already done though. The shrimp was still fairly cool on the inside.)

(For side dishes, I served a caesar salad and pan-seered sea scallops in butter and white wine. I thought everything paired well.)

ETA: I added fresh cilantro to the end result for some added flavor. The recipe was ok but needs a lot of work, IMO. I would omit the citrus juice, zest and segments. Instead, I think I would add chile powder, only, to the shrimp and then pan-fry them in butter, adding some lime juice and tequila or white wine at the very end. I felt with just the shrimp and guacamole, the tacos were lackig something.

HELP!! I want to save this recipe! I think it could work if prepared better.

Edited by Janie

Well, first off, I think I'd try it as written. I know you said you cant stand grapefruit, but maybe cooked it would be more palatable for you? And the citrusy flavor of a grapefruit is in no way comparable to a much less tangy orange.

In slicing said segments, I could totall see there being juice released. Though i dont know how it would be collected from say, a cutting board to a bowl. But apparently its just supposed to be enough for flavor, and your "juicing" probably added too much getting the "boiled" effect. Maybe remove the mixture from the bowl with a slotted spoon next time to avoid that.

The guacamole though, I think I'd leave out the fruit. Maybe just add the zest. I like the idea of the guac as a base though; that sounds yummy.

Why would you serve sea scallops as a side dish to shrimp? This confuses me. Salad, I get. If I serve tacos with a side it would usually be spanish rice and beans...maybe you could make a fragrant citrus rice to go with?

Let me know if you try it again...it does sound like it could have potential!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ May 10 2012, 06:51 AM)
Well, first off, I think I'd try it as written. I know you said you cant stand grapefruit, but maybe cooked it would be more palatable for you? And the citrusy flavor of a grapefruit is in no way comparable to a much less tangy orange.

In slicing said segments, I could totall see there being juice released. Though i dont know how it would be collected from say, a cutting board to a bowl. But apparently its just supposed to be enough for flavor, and your "juicing" probably added too much getting the "boiled" effect. Maybe remove the mixture from the bowl with a slotted spoon next time to avoid that.

The guacamole though, I think I'd leave out the fruit. Maybe just add the zest. I like the idea of the guac as a base though; that sounds yummy.

Why would you serve sea scallops as a side dish to shrimp? This confuses me. Salad, I get. If I serve tacos with a side it would usually be spanish rice and beans...maybe you could make a fragrant citrus rice to go with?

Let me know if you try it again...it does sound like it could have potential!

I wanted more seafood since only 3-4 shrimp fit into one taco. I placed two scallops over the caesar salad. It was a light and refreshing dinner. Not heavy at all. When I make anything involving seafood, I keep things simple and light. I don't want to walk away from the table feeling "gut bombed."

I usually try to present a dish that has a coherent consistency (hence incorporating some seafood to the salad portion). The presentation was nice and looked like a good seafood dish.

I rarely, if ever, have served rice with seafood. No cheese either! Cheese and seafood should never be on the same plate. Most chefs will never do this. Not that I'm a chef by any means!

QUOTE (Janie @ May 10 2012, 02:14 PM)
Cheese and seafood should never be on the same plate.

Aw, heck, that would leave one of my favorite dishes out - Coquilles St. Jacques

Has Gruyere and Parmesan in it and is yummytastic! But very, very rich!

I also like broiled haddock topped with tomatoes and (I think?) mozzarella tongue.gif

Edited by 1 of the 7

Interesting recipe. I would try it with lime juice rather than orange. Frying the shrimp in butter and chili powder along with some lime zest would definitely add to the flavor. You can add the green onion at the very end to keep it crunchy. Since it's a taco, why not add some tomato and lettuce, maybe black olives? The only thing I wouldn't like is cilantro - I'm one of those folks to whom it tastes like soap. confused13.gif

Cool! A recipe thread.

Sorry, I didn't try the recipe above 'cause I don't really do seafood (I know.... being from Seattle that's blasphemy.... I do however enjoy a nice heart-attack inducing plate of fish-n-chips every once in a while), but I do want to post something!

Quinoa and black beans

I originally found this one on an online recipe site.... very simple but tasty, and makes a great side dish especially when served with chicken or another main course. It makes great leftovers too!

1/2 cup quinoa

1 cup veg broth

1/2 large onion

5 garlic cloves

Cumin, salt, and pepper to taste

Hot sauce (Sriracha works well) if desired

1 can black beans

1/2 cup frozen corn

cilantro to taste

Stir fry the onion, garlic, and seasonings in olive oil in medium pot until lightly browned. Add veg broth and quinoa (and hot sauce if desired) and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and stir in beans, corn, and cilantro. Stir and simmer until heated through.

Good stuff! I've been on a quinoa kick lately. trink39.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 11 2012, 02:04 PM)
Cool! A recipe thread.

Sorry, I didn't try the recipe above 'cause I don't really do seafood (I know.... being from Seattle that's blasphemy.... I do however enjoy a nice heart-attack inducing plate of fish-n-chips every once in a while), but I do want to post something!

Quinoa and black beans

I originally found this one on an online recipe site.... very simple but tasty, and makes a great side dish especially when served with chicken or another main course. It makes great leftovers too!

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup veg broth
1/2 large onion
5 garlic cloves
Cumin, salt, and pepper to taste
Hot sauce (Sriracha works well) if desired
1 can black beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
cilantro to taste

Stir fry the onion, garlic, and seasonings in olive oil in medium pot until lightly browned. Add veg broth and quinoa (and hot sauce if desired) and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and stir in beans, corn, and cilantro. Stir and simmer until heated through.

Good stuff! I've been on a quinoa kick lately.  trink39.gif

THANK YOU!! This is what I wanted this thread to be about. A thread where people can share a recipe (new or old), seek advice about dishes that took a wrong turn somewhere, look for a recipe, get some ideas, etc...

This recipe does sound good! However, help me out with 'quinoa.' I would like to try this out!

Edited by Janie

I have a crockpot question for those in the know... Whenever I make a dish involving chicken, the chicken always comes out bone dry. The kind of dry that no amount of gravy can save. What am I doing wrong? I always cook things low and slow in a crockpot. Should I use the high setting when cooking chicken? Use bone-in? Use only dark meat??

QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 11 2012, 12:17 AM)
Interesting recipe. I would try it with lime juice rather than orange. Frying the shrimp in butter and chili powder along with some lime zest would definitely add to the flavor. You can add the green onion at the very end to keep it crunchy. Since it's a taco, why not add some tomato and lettuce, maybe black olives? The only thing I wouldn't like is cilantro - I'm one of those folks to whom it tastes like soap. confused13.gif

Perfect suggestions! I think I will try everything you listed the next time I make this. I'm also wondering if preparing the shrimp ahead of time and letting it sit in the fridge to cool would be better, especially since everything else is cool and/or room temp? Might be a great summer dish! Serve with an ice cold mojito maybe? wink.gif

Too bad about your dislike of cilantro. I love the stuff. I can eat it plain. I would make a salad out of the stuff! Yum, yum, yum.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 11 2012, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ May 11 2012, 12:17 AM)
Interesting recipe. I would try it with lime juice rather than orange. Frying the shrimp in butter and chili powder along with some lime zest would definitely add to the flavor. You can add the green onion at the very end to keep it crunchy. Since it's a taco, why not add some tomato and lettuce, maybe black olives? The only thing I wouldn't like is cilantro - I'm one of those folks to whom it tastes like soap.  confused13.gif

Perfect suggestions! I think I will try everything you listed the next time I make this. I'm also wondering if preparing the shrimp ahead of time and letting it sit in the fridge to cool would be better, especially since everything else is cool and/or room temp? Might be a great summer dish! Serve with an ice cold mojito maybe? wink.gif

Too bad about your dislike of cilantro. I love the stuff. I can eat it plain. I would make a salad out of the stuff! Yum, yum, yum.

Cold might be fantastic, especially in the summer.

Here's one of my go-to recipes:

Last year my husband and I discovered a really great little Italian restaurant and deli. On our first visit there, I ordered the Chicken Firenze. Wow. It was amazing. So I thought about how to make something similar at home and switched out a couple of ingredients. With the switches it became more of a Caprese-style dish. Here's what we do:

Pound 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts out flat (I use a mallet and place the breast between 2 pieces of wax paper). For filling, place mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil across the meat. Roll this up in the chicken and anchor with toothpicks. Coat the chicken roll in breadcrumbs and brown on both sides in olive oil. Finish cooking in a 350 degree oven; about 20 minutes.

While that's baking, make some Israeli couscous (aka pearl couscous). We use chicken stock for the liquid. Serve the chicken atop the couscous, with a sauce, if preferred.

Garlic-Cheese Cream Sauce:

Make a roux with 1 tablespoon butter and one tablespoon flour. Add 1 cup of milk. Stir constantly until thick. Add 2 tablespoons (to taste) of garlic powder (crushed garlic is fine, too. I use the powder to keep the sauce smooth) and 1/2 cup of shredded Fontina cheese. If you can't get Fontina, any mild white cheese should work. Thin it with a splash more milk if needed. Spoon over chicken. Garnish with fresh tomato and basil.

We serve it with a salad and a nice glass of Chablis.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 11 2012, 03:39 PM)
I have a crockpot question for those in the know... Whenever I make a dish involving chicken, the chicken always comes out bone dry. The kind of dry that no amount of gravy can save. What am I doing wrong? I always cook things low and slow in a crockpot. Should I use the high setting when cooking chicken? Use bone-in? Use only dark meat??

What are you putting in besides chicken? And what style of chicken? Is it an assortment of legs, wings, thighs and breasts or is it a whole chicken?

What I always do is make sure there's liquid in the cooker to begin with. So I'll take a whole chicken, and add about an inch of spiced chicken broth. Whatever herbs and spices you like - I go for garlic, onion, dill, salt and pepper. Low or high temp doesn't matter extremely much.

If you're doing pieces, you can pretty much lay it out the same way, but keep an eye on the amount of broth you're adding. You don't want to drown the pieces - you're not making soup. Use enough that it comes up just a bit on the pieces.

In either case, check the cooker about every hour or 90 minutes to make sure your broth isn't evaporating on you. If you use too little, that can be an issue. You can always add more.

I love having cooked chicken in the freezer for those nights I just can't think of what to make. Thanks RushFanNlv.

trink39.gif

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (Janie @ May 9 2012, 07:50 PM)
Can we do this? I ask because last night I tried a new recipe and it was horrid! I don't think I quite understood the recipe well enough, but IDK. I thought it might be nice to have a place to post recipes and ask for assistance or give feedback. Maybe a few others would be willing to try this particular recipe and see what they find? confused13.gif Might be interesting to fix recipe disasters or share in successes.

CHILE SHRIMP TACOS (from Cooking Light)
1 large grapefruit
2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
1 tsp chile powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 lime, zested, juiced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted
8 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed

Zest grapefruit and set zest aside in a medium bowl. Segment grapefruit. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Reserve juice in bowl and transfer segment pieces to bowl with zest. (Ok, first, I didn't use a grapefuit as I hate the dang things. I used an orange instead. Honestly, I think the zest and segments complicated the dish which I would have preferred to have kept as simple as possible. Second, the directions never once say anything about juicing. If I'm merely slicing chunks of the fruit up, where is all this juice coming from?? At least enough juice to warrant reserving it in a separate bowl?? Since the recipe technically calls for juice I did save a few orange segments and squeeze some juice out.)

To bowl with juice (!?), add half the garlic, shrimp, 1/4 cup onions, chile powder and salt; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for up to 30 minutes.

Prepare guacamole: (Their directions - which I used but this is so not my own recipe which I'd probably use next time as theirs was icky.) To bowl with segments and zest, add remaining half of garlic and 1/4 cup onions. Stir in lime zest and juice, then smash avocado to desired consistency. Cover tightly and refrigerate until needed.

Heat a large saute pan on medium-high heat. Add shrimp mixture and saute, stirring frequently, until shrimp are pink and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Spread guacamole over tortillas and top with shrimp, dividing evenly. (Against better judgment, I added the shrimp right to the pan. Even though there wasn't a lot of citrus juice, I felt that the shrimp more or less boiled instead of fried. They turned pink and curled up fast but still just... boiled, instead of fried. The minute I saw them start curling, I removed them from the pan, cranked the heat to reduce the juices, then lowered the heat some and re-added the shrimp. The damage was already done though. The shrimp was still fairly cool on the inside.)

(For side dishes, I served a caesar salad and pan-seered sea scallops in butter and white wine. I thought everything paired well.)

ETA: I added fresh cilantro to the end result for some added flavor. The recipe was ok but needs a lot of work, IMO. I would omit the citrus juice, zest and segments. Instead, I think I would add chile powder, only, to the shrimp and then pan-fry them in butter, adding some lime juice and tequila or white wine at the very end. I felt with just the shrimp and guacamole, the tacos were lackig something.

HELP!! I want to save this recipe! I think it could work if prepared better.

I was bored and looking around and saw this. Not sure how old this thread is or even read further than this recipe, but I'll throw out some suggestions.

Use Mango fruit instead of orange or grapefruit and add sliced red onion.

If using a chile spice, use a good brand or flavor. Or you can use one diced chile in adobo and a tablespoon of the adobo sauce.

Okay this is a serious awesome go to recipe

2 small packages of boneless chicken tenders

1 package of penne pasta (cook it as directed)

2 cans of marinated artichoke hearts (quarter or half them before adding) If you haven't used them before give it a whirl and you'll be hooked. I just drain the can and dump them on a cutting board and quarter them. They come in different sizes so if they are small just half them.

2 cans of chicken broth or any chicken stock

a package of fresh mushrooms sliced (any kind you like) button or baby bellas work fine.

Sherry You can buy a cheap bottle and keep it in the fridge. If you like the recipe you might want to try better brands.

Rosemary preferable fresh but dried works as well. a couple large sprigs or a tablespoon

(you can also add other veggies like squash as you play around with the recipe)

A couple tablespoons of flour

The blend of sherry, rosemary and artichoke is amazing.

Cut chicken into chunks and very lightly flour them let them sit for about ten minutes to congeal so the flour doesn't come off.

I use a 5 qt dutch oven and prepare this on the stove, but have done it in a skillet and baked it in an 8x11 baking dish covered as well.

-Lightly brown the chunks doing them in batches. just lightly! and remove to a plate.

- keep dutch oven (or skillet) hot add about a cup of sherry (and the rosemary) and let it reduce for a couple minutes.

-add the mushrooms and let them saute for a few minutes to reduce.

-add the artichoke hearts

-add the chicken back in.

-add the pasta

-add the broth. You don't want to cover it like soup, just about a quarter or halfway full.

Cover and stir occasionally to keep it moist. If it seems like it is getting dry add a little more broth or water and cook about half hour on med low heat. You can make this in advance and let sit on real low for hours as well.

Really versatile and tasty. Make a bunch because leftovers are great as well.

Edited by Running Rebel

Sounds good, RR. Thanks!