Caravan/BU2B Re-recorded

danielmclark

Perhaps somewhat interestingly, iTunes has Headlong Flight available on the Clockwork Angels page with the rest of the album greyed out... including Caravan and BU2B. Could be a strong signal that they were re-recorded and aren't the same versions that iTunes is selling separately.

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Apr 24 2012, 09:29 AM)
Also, if you have I-tunes versions of both tracks.
They are subtitled "Single Version"

They did the same thing with far cry, but the single version was identical to the album version.

I don't have the legal expertise to definitively say so...but would think Rush almost had to re-record...since the first versions were on Atlantic.

The other factor is the whole integrity thing....it would be IMHO really really cheesy to NOT re-record and just slap something most Rush fans already have on a brand new release as part of the whole.

Another thing is they played it a ton of times since the recording...there could be a bunch of fun nuances they discovered during this period...

PLUS

BU2B is almost a full minute longer now....has to be a new version.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't get new versions on this album.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 24 2012, 08:59 AM)
I don't have the legal expertise to definitively say so...but would think Rush almost had to re-record...since the first versions were on Atlantic.

The other factor is the whole integrity thing....it would be IMHO really really cheesy to NOT re-record and just slap something most Rush fans already have on a brand new release as part of the whole.

Another thing is they played it a ton of times since the recording...there could be a bunch of fun nuances they discovered during this period...

PLUS

How did Show Don't Tell end up on the Chronicles cd then? Chronicles was a Mercury release but came out in early 1990 and it has SDT on it from Presto which was their first release with Atlantic.

well as I said....I don't have the legal expertise to be sure.

But also as I said....avoid doing the cheesy thing.

at this point there seems to be more evidence they were re-recorded....than not.

both times changed ...Carvan is a couple seconds shorter.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 24 2012, 09:15 AM)

PLUS

How did Show Don't Tell end up on the Chronicles cd then? Chronicles was a Mercury release but came out in early 1990 and it has SDT on it from Presto which was their first release with Atlantic.

You can license songs to other labels on a per-release basis. They included SDT on Chronicles, but Mercury wouldn't have the rights to release it on another compilation.

Why Mercury wanted SDT for that set is beyond me. Not that the song is bad, but that they'd effectively be promoting Presto on another label.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 24 2012, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 24 2012, 09:15 AM)

PLUS

You can license songs to other labels on a per-release basis. They included SDT on Chronicles, but Mercury wouldn't have the rights to release it on another compilation.

Why Mercury wanted SDT for that set is beyond me. Not that the song is bad, but that they'd effectively be promoting Presto on another label.

the band may have insisted on its inclusion. I'm sure by the end of Mercury they had some clout to call a few shots on how their compilations would go.