Did Geddy bring back the Ricky for Headlong Flight

Test4Eggo

Geddy took both a fretless and fretted versions of the Jaco bass on tour. He had Fender custom make a fretted version after loving the sound of the fretless on Malnar. If the fretted version had as good a sound as the fretless i was wondering whether he has used this at any point during the recording of CA unsure.gif

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 20 2012, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 20 2012, 09:42 AM)
I'd love it if he brought out the Wal. I don't know why he ever left it.

Because while it's a high quality instrument, you can't get the aggressive tone out of a Wal that you can out of a Fender Jazz or a Rickenbacker that Geddy wanted when they recorded Counterparts. Geddy himself said in an interview that the Wal "isn't a good "rock" bass" meaning that you can't get it to sound in your face and punchy which is the new sound they wanted post 1993

Kevin Shirley suggestion to go back to the Fender...

There's an interview with Bass Magazine where Geddy explained that he brought it out during the recording sessions for Snakes and Arrows but neither he or Nick liked the way it sounded and that they felt they wouldn't gain much by using it.

In his words, "I brought it out during the recording of the last album, Snakes and Arrows, but we just didn't like the way it sounded. We just couldn't get the sounds out of it that we can get easily out of the Jazz, so there didn't seem a point. Could we have made it work? Yes. Would we have gotten anything unique out of it? I don't think so, and neither did our producer, so we just gave up on it. I think we wanted to use it so we could say we'd used it, ha ha!"

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 20 2012, 08:52 AM)
Even if he did, don't expect it on the road. He's already said it's to heavy and he can get the same tone out of the lighter Fender.

Why people are so obsessed with him using that bass is beyond me. Did no one hear his tone on the last tour?

It is ABOVE and beyond you.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 20 2012, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 20 2012, 08:52 AM)
Even if he did, don't expect it on the road. He's already said it's to heavy and he can get the same tone out of the lighter Fender.

Why people are so obsessed with him using that bass is beyond me. Did no one hear his tone on the last tour?

It is ABOVE and beyond you.

Uh huh.... eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ Apr 20 2012, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Mick J @ Apr 20 2012, 08:10 PM)
I remember on the Time Machine Tour at the NEC Birmingham that Geddy used a  fretted Jaco Pastorious Fender Jazz which I think was used on MALNAR

The Jaco Pistorius Jazz Geddy used on MalNar was fretless I believe smile.gif

I don't think so, as I recall the Jaco bass was a special fretted one made especially for him by the Fender custom shop. I don't think Ged's was fretless. He may have owned a fretless model but it wasn't the one used for Malignant Narcissism, it was the fretted model.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 20 2012, 03:15 PM)
I'll say it again.

Look up April 11th

https://twitter.com/#!/chycki

Rich Chycki was asked if it's the Rick, he answers with "precision"

Why speculate when the answer is out there?

too funny that this is completely missed on most in this thread....

QUOTE (jnoble @ Apr 20 2012, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 20 2012, 09:42 AM)
I'd love it if he brought out the Wal. I don't know why he ever left it.

Because while it's a high quality instrument, you can't get the aggressive tone out of a Wal that you can out of a Fender Jazz or a Rickenbacker that Geddy wanted when they recorded Counterparts. Geddy himself said in an interview that the Wal "isn't a good "rock" bass" meaning that you can't get it to sound in your face and punchy which is the new sound they wanted post 1993

Hmmm I always think of Wals being very punchy. Justin Chancellor from Tool uses on and he get's amazing tone. Also is the bass solo in Show Don't Tell isn't punchy, I don't know what is.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 20 2012, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 20 2012, 03:15 PM)
I'll say it again.

Look up April 11th

https://twitter.com/#!/chycki

Rich Chycki was asked if it's the Rick, he answers with "precision"

Why speculate when the answer is out there?

too funny that this is completely missed on most in this thread....

It's even funnier that some seem to have missed that the thread has evolved from which bass is he using to a general discussion of his guitars. We've seen the tweet and have moved on - thanks.