Did anyone hear Headlong Flight?

Slack jaw gaze

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's safe to say that enough time has passed that if somehow they DID play the entire song instead of the 30-second clip, that info would have been definitively confirmed somewhere.

Kind of a bummer that the rumor on RIAB that some stations would have the entire song on April 11th turned out to be another Olympics moment. sad.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 12 2012, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Apr 12 2012, 07:55 PM)
Kim played the 30 second clip,  Ged sang on one of Kim's tunes years ago      2.gif

Speaking of Kim.....I'm assuming everybody's heard his classic record Akimbo Alogo? Freakin great rock record. One of the most under-rated records in the history of mankind 1022.gif I think it's time to break it out again. I used to play a couple of those tunes in a band many moons ago.

:Go for soda"

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2012, 10:30 AM)
I think it's safe to say that enough time has passed that if somehow they DID play the entire song instead of the 30-second clip, that info would have been definitively confirmed somewhere.

Kind of a bummer that the rumor on RIAB that some stations would have the entire song on April 11th turned out to be another Olympics moment. sad.gif

definitely NOT an Olympics moment there.

the information that was being passed back and forth was cryptic at best... Ed was told by some VERY reliable sources that we would have *something* on the 11th and we did.

Some other sources popped up and hinted towards a limited preview..

Don't shoot the messenger simply because they got it mostly right.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Apr 13 2012, 02:04 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Apr 12 2012, 07:55 PM)
Kim played the 30 second clip,  Ged sang on one of Kim's tunes years ago      2.gif

The song is Battle Scar, from the 1980 Max Webster Album "Universal Juveniles". Max Webster rocked, really cool band with Kim on Guitar and vocals 2.gif

Great song! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 13 2012, 07:33 AM)

the information that was being passed back and forth was cryptic at best... Ed was told by some VERY reliable sources that we would have *something* on the 11th and we did.

i hear ya, and i know they stated it was a rumor, but honestly i have lost faith in RIAB as the purveyor of definitive information. mind you, they're right a lot of the time, and i still take what they have to say seriously, but confidence lost is hard to fully regain...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2012, 10:45 AM)

i hear ya, and i know they stated it was a rumor, but honestly i have lost faith in RIAB as the purveyor of definitive information. mind you, they're right a lot of the time, and i still take what they have to say seriously, but confidence lost is hard to fully regain...

What exactly is wrong with what RIAB posted?

Here is a quote from last week

"Yesterday we learned that the Headlong Flight single from Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album will be released digitally on Tuesday, April 24th, along with a radio release beginning Thursday, April 19th. There are also rumors of some kind of limited pre-release preview to occur next Wednesday, April 11th, but details regarding this are sketchy at the moment"

Some kind of limited pre-release preview - thats exactly what we got.

Radio release, April 19th - thats been confirmed.

Digital release April 24th - makes sense since new releases typically go on sale on tuesdays.

Everything he posted has come to pass, there was one small tidbit the previous day regarding the possibility of a one-off play at a very limited number of stations which did not occur for whatever reason. Whooptie doo...

Oh yeah.. and lets not forget the artwork which RIAB along with other sites posted well before anybody else got their hands on it.

RIAB along with the other RUSH social media sites have a very strong track record. So they might get something wrong now and then... fact remains they're almost always right, or damn close to being right.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2012, 09:45 AM)

Ed reported that Rush was rumoured to play, and then that they were expected to play. He never reported they were guaranteed to play. Can you stop the f***ing whining about RIAB and the Olympics now? smile.gif

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 13 2012, 07:54 AM)

"Yesterday we learned that the Headlong Flight single from Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album will be released digitally on Tuesday, April 24th, along with a radio release beginning Thursday, April 19th. There are also rumors of some kind of limited pre-release preview to occur next Wednesday, April 11th, but details regarding this are sketchy at the moment"

Digital release April 24th - makes sense since new releases typically go on sale on tuesdays.

Everything he posted has come to pass, there was one small tidbit the previous day regarding the possibility of a one-off play at a very limited number of stations which did not occur for whatever reason. Whooptie doo...

Oh yeah.. and lets not forget the artwork which RIAB along with other sites posted well before anybody else got their hands on it.

RIAB along with the other RUSH social media sites have a very strong track record. So they might get something wrong now and then... fact remains they're almost always right, or damn close to being right.

meh. some people don't seem to like that i don't trust RIAB completely, and they're entitled to feel that way, but i can't just pretend i think the information there is beyond reproach as i've been burned more than once.

i appreciate what you're saying. i'm sure ed is a great guy, and the info is usually pretty solid, but until things are really confirmed 1000%, i do tend to take RIAB if not with a grain of salt, at least as something that's not entirely trustworthy. i'm not saying there's a better source of information out there, just that i don't trust the info completely. i doubt ed will lose any sleep over that. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2012, 10:04 AM)

meh. some people don't seem to like that i don't trust RIAB completely, and they're entitled to feel that way, but i can't just pretend i think the information there is beyond reproach as i've been burned more than once.

i appreciate what you're saying. i'm sure ed is a great guy, and the info is usually pretty solid, but until things are really confirmed 1000%, i do tend to take RIAB if not with a grain of salt, at least as something that's not entirely trustworthy. i'm not saying there's a better source of information out there, just that i don't trust the info completely. i doubt ed will lose any sleep over that. wink.gif

laugh.gif what an ego. It's not about people not liking that you don't trust RIAB. It's bringing the Olympics up at every opportunity. Ed never was definitive, nor did he guarantee. You assumed, so if you lost beauty sleep waiting for Rush to come on stage, then that was on you.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 13 2012, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 13 2012, 09:13 AM)

I agree with several folks that have said that there are Bastille Day sounds on Headlong Flight.  As I wrote earlier, to me, the 30 second clip sounds like Bastille Day meets The Main Monkey Business.  And I loooove that soaring solo Alex does in TMMB.  (I think Alex influenced Eric Johnson, but then I think EJ influence Al right back in that solo!)  Anyway, the drive of Headlong Flight sounds like it will have the perfect set up for a kick ass solo.

Here's a mash up I did of HF-BD-TMMB:

YouTube link

i'm glad i don't hear the main monkey business in there.

Do you hear any similarities to other songs in Rush's back catalog?

it would ruin the song for me.

Why is that?

I thought TMMB was one of the best tracks on SnA.

TMMB was pretty cool in some parts...and in others it made me feel as if I were on some type of Safari Ride at DisneyWorld waiting for robotic animals to jump out, growl, and shoot water at me.....this could not have been the desired effect. Edited by druid13

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:30 AM)
TMMB was pretty cool in some parts...and in others it made me feel as if I were on some type of Safari Ride at DisneyWorld waiting for robotic animals to jump out, growl, and shoot water at me.....this could not have been the desired effect.

This is true.

It was probably lasers instead of water.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 13 2012, 08:18 AM)

laugh.gif what an ego. It's not about people not liking that you don't trust RIAB. It's bringing the Olympics up at every opportunity. Ed never was definitive, nor did he guarantee. You assumed, so if you lost beauty sleep waiting for Rush to come on stage, then that was on you.

laugh.gif

i have an ego problem because i don't trust in the almighty RIAB?

and at that time of the olympics the information seemed pretty definitive, to the point that he even apologized later on, but whatevs...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 13 2012, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 13 2012, 08:18 AM)

laugh.gif

i have an ego problem because i don't trust in the almighty RIAB?

and at that time of the olympics the information seemed pretty definitive, to the point that he even apologized later on, but whatevs...

He never posted anything as definitive and he never apologized, but yeah whatevs trink39.gif