3 Singles off a RUSH album!

losingit2k

I think the last time we had three (Count them, 3) actual singles released off any RUSH album was during Roll the Bones or Counterparts, Sure about RTB not to sure about CP! I Know that I heard "Cut to the Chase" and "Stick it Out" on the radio but not sure of any other! Did "Animate" or "Cold Fire" hit the airwaves? Anyway, this is going to be one Of RUSH's best, I'm sure of it now! Only 20 days until the we get some ear candy and two months before we get the the entire package in out sweaty hands! This is going to be a great year!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

3 singles is pretty much the norm for most bands. Hell Coldplay already have 3 out for their latest album, and they usually put out like 4. But for Rush yeah it's pretty unusual I guess. They just dont sell even remotely close to as many albums as a band like Coldplay so it never really made a lot of sense for them to put a bunch of singles out.

QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 30 2012, 01:19 PM)
3 singles is pretty much the norm for most bands. Hell Coldplay already have 3 out for their latest album, and they usually put out like 4. But for Rush yeah it's pretty unusual I guess. They just dont sell even remotely close to as many albums as a band like Coldplay so it never really made a lot of sense for them to put a bunch of singles out.

Specially this late in their career! I'm just expressing the strength and depth of this album so far!! I really didn't expect another single out of CA! I guess it really rocks!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 30 2012, 01:19 PM)

Specially this late in their career! I'm just expressing the strength and depth of this album so far!! I really didn't expect another single out of CA! I guess it really rocks!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Well they had to release at least 1 other single to help promote it. The previous 2 singles were just because they were done, and they used them to help promote the time machine tour.

They cant just put an album out now when noone has heard anything about it in a year. Not talking about us here, but the casual fans. They have to promote it with a new single or just let it sneak out and have horrendous sales.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 02:12 PM)
Clockwork Angels is a bit of an exceptional circumstance singles-wise what with the long (painful) wait for the full almost but yeah you are right, these are exciting times in RUSH land!

2.gif

This is exactly what I was going to say.

This is an obvious exception...the first singles were release WAY before the album was even done.

In a way, this is really like the first one with the release. Remains to be seen if any others will make it...

S&A had 4 singles. Far Cry, Spindrift, The Larger Bowl, and Workin' Them Angels.

Counterparts had 4 singles. Stick It Out, Nobody's Hero, Double Agent, and Cold Fire.

RTB had 4 singles. Dreamline, Roll the Bones, Ghost of a Chance, and Bravado.

Obviously some got much more play than others.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 02:11 PM)
S&A had 4 singles. Far Cry, Spindrift, The Larger Bowl, and Workin' Them Angels.

Counterparts had 4 singles. Stick It Out, Nobody's Hero, Double Agent, and Cold Fire.

I guess it depends on what part of the countyry you live. Neither of those albums were present so prominent in South Florida!

no.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 07:08 PM)

I guess it depends on what part of the countyry you live. Neither of those albums were present so prominent in South Florida!

no.gif

It's not a matter of simply what someone heard on the radio, being released as a single is a definable thing. There are songs on the radio all the time that were never released as singles. And a few of the singles I listed never even charted. But they were absolutely released as singles.

Actually it looks like Heresy and Face Up were also released as singles off of RTB but didn't chart. That makes six singles from that album.

Edited by snowdog2112

I think it can be argued that Headlong Flight will be their SECOND single. Their first single was Caravan, with BU2B being the flipside. Of course a single having a flipside or a B-side doesn't really exist anymore, but can you really call a cd-single containing 2 songs to be TWO singles? I count it as one.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 30 2012, 07:19 PM)
I think it can be argued that Headlong Flight will be their SECOND single. Their first single was Caravan, with BU2B being the flipside. Of course a single having a flipside or a B-side doesn't really exist anymore, but can you really call a cd-single containing 2 songs to be TWO singles? I count it as one.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rush's BU2B quietly released as radio single

Just over three weeks ago in the first week of March Rush's BU2B was quietly released as a radio single, and almost nobody even noticed. The song had already been released on June 1st of last year as the side B to the Caravan single that was released for mp3 download. So most stations had already been playing it for some time and it even emerged onto a few of the radio charts last summer. Not to mention the fact that Rush included it as part of their setlist on the Time Machine Tour. Sirius/XM satellite radio made a relatively big deal out of it and premiered it as their Breaking Bone track on Sunday, March 6th (thanks Sean). It's now in its 4th week of release and has moved into the top 40 on the Mediabase Rock Charts; at the time of this post it's sitting at #27. So if you are so inclined, call your local rock radio station and request the track. There also will be a 7" vinyl limited edition version of the song available for the UK's Record Store Day on Saturday, April 16; and a 7" vinyl Caravan/BU2B available for the US and Canadian Record Store Day on the same day.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2011/03/26...as-radio-single

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 08:12 PM)

no.gif

It's not a matter of simply what someone heard on the radio, being released as a single is a definable thing. There are songs on the radio all the time that were never released as singles. And a few of the singles I listed never even charted. But they were absolutely released as singles.

Actually it looks like Heresy and Face Up were also released as singles off of RTB but didn't chart. That makes six singles from that album.

Well neither "Heresy" nor "Face Up" should have been released as Singels in my opinion, those are strong B-sides in my book! I would have considered "Where's my thing? before those two and even thats one shouldn't be a single!

The Only songs I considered singles off RTB were:

Dreamline, Bravado , Roll the Bones and Ghost of a Chance!

yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 07:29 PM)

no.gif

Well neither "Heresy" nor "Face Up" should have been released as Singels in my opinion, those are strong B-sides in my book! I would have considered "Where's my thing? before those two and even thats one shouldn't be a single!

yes.gif

Well, I didn't opine about whether they should have been or whether anyone in particular heard them, but those songs were released as singles.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 08:33 PM)

no.gif

yes.gif

Well, I didn't opine about whether they should have been or whether anyone in particular heard them, but those songs were released as singles.

I think the regular joe knows more about these things than record executives!

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 07:45 PM)

no.gif

yes.gif

sarcasm.gif

Maybe so, my real name is Joe. laugh.gif

Hey, are you calling me average? angry.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 07:45 PM)

no.gif

yes.gif

sarcasm.gif

Maybe so, my real name is Joe. laugh.gif

Hey, are you calling me average? angry.gif

wink.gif

Nope! Regular!

rofl3.gif

I'm pretty sure Where's My Thing was released as a single as well. In fact, it was the second single after Dreamline and it was released before the album came out.

QUOTE (P-Tor @ Mar 30 2012, 08:18 PM)

I'm pretty sure Where's My Thing was released as a single as well. In fact, it was the second single after Dreamline and it was released before the album came out.

Where's My Thing got played on the radio some, was heard regularly on ESPN around the time, and was even looped behind the Sunday Sports Section extended sports coverage on Sunday nights in Austin in the early 90s when I lived there so I know it got a lot of exposure but it was not officially released as a single.

Dreamline charted at #1 on the Billboard rock charts (not the Billboard Hot 100)

Bravado was number #13

Roll the Bones was #9

Ghost of a Chance was #2

Heresy and Face Up did not chart.

QUOTE (P-Tor @ Mar 30 2012, 09:18 PM)

There you go, no wonder the music industry is in such a crappy state!

bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 30 2012, 07:19 PM)
I think it can be argued that Headlong Flight will be their SECOND single.  Their first single was Caravan, with BU2B being the flipside.  Of course a single having a flipside or a B-side doesn't really exist anymore, but can you really call a cd-single containing 2 songs to be TWO singles?  I count it as one.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rush's BU2B quietly released as radio single

Just over three weeks ago in the first week of March Rush's BU2B was quietly released as a radio single, and almost nobody even noticed. The song had already been released on June 1st of last year as the side B to the Caravan single that was released for mp3 download. So most stations had already been playing it for some time and it even emerged onto a few of the radio charts last summer. Not to mention the fact that Rush included it as part of their setlist on the Time Machine Tour. Sirius/XM satellite radio made a relatively big deal out of it and premiered it as their Breaking Bone track on Sunday, March 6th (thanks Sean). It's now in its 4th week of release and has moved into the top 40 on the Mediabase Rock Charts; at the time of this post it's sitting at #27. So if you are so inclined, call your local rock radio station and request the track. There also will be a 7" vinyl limited edition version of the song available for the UK's Record Store Day on Saturday, April 16; and a 7" vinyl Caravan/BU2B available for the US and Canadian Record Store Day on the same day.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2011/03/26...as-radio-single

wow, i totally missed that one.

i sit corrected. yes.gif