Mad Men

Union 5-3992

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ May 31 2012, 03:19 PM)
Just two more episodes, hope Pete doesn't kill himself. Actually, I kind of do.

I like Pete. I think there is a real double standard with him among the fans. But that's for another time.

Holy crap, tonight's episode was crazy. SPOILER BELOW, you've been WARNED:

This now makes two people that Draper has inspired to hang themselves.

SPOILER

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

Just when we all thought Layne got away with it...bam! Kinda how life works. Don really had no choice, what else could he do? Layne had to go. Of course we also knew he was dead man walking the moment Don fired him.

And I must say that I could have lived a lifetime without seeing Sally start her period or ever seeing that weird boyfriend of hers. Frankly if I never see the kids or Betty or that sourpuss she's married to ever again it'll be too soon. To say I don't care about them would be understating my lack of care for those characters. They take up too much valuable time...and for what?

Looking forward to the finale, no idea what to expect. Perhaps Don finally makes a move to California after killing Pete & marrying Joan.

I DVR the show because it's on too late for me, just got around to watching last night, but I saw a headline on the interwebs about a character committing suicide (and a picture of Pete) and I was part "spoiled" and part wondering who it was. I thought Pete was an obvious choice for suicide victim, so I started to think it would be either Layne or Roger. Sure enough...

Knowing this upfront and Don saying to Layne "Take the weekend to figure out an elegant exit" when he fired Layne - made me wince. The fact the Jaguar wouldn't start WAS funny (even Jared Harris, the actor who plays Layne, said he laughed when reading that part of the script) laugh.gif

I love the Sally stories (and as a woman, I guess I wasn't that freaked out by the bathroom scene at the museum - but I can see how some men are!) The girl who plays Sally is SO good, she really captured that freak-out moment of becoming a woman, and running straight for her mother (not Megan) despite their differences. So personally, I'm still interested in her coming-of-age tales.

The feud between Betty and Megan is a little trite for me. it's expected and only adds to the fact Betty is still childish and bratty herself.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 4 2012, 05:31 PM)
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF ****

Yes, and some makeup artist better get an Emmy for Layne's face alone. It made ME sick, even though it wasn't "real".

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 4 2012, 05:31 PM)
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF ****

Yes, and some makeup artist better get an Emmy for Layne's face alone. It made ME sick, even though it wasn't "real".

I loved that whole sequence. How it just snowballed out of control so fast. I knew someone would end up dead somehow this season but I always pushed Lane to the bottom of the list since he always seems to have this sense of honor and strong composure. With Don and Bert, he seemed like one of the least likely people to do such a thing. But everything from the tax issues to the embezzlement to the forced resignation to the Jaguar his wife purchased was just an incredibly unfortunate series of events that pushed Lane over the edge and finally broke him. Ok, my run-on sentence is over now smile.gif. I can't wait to see the ripples Lane's suicide causes in the company. Just a few more hours.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 5 2012, 08:35 AM)
I DVR the show because it's on too late for me, just got around to watching last night, but I saw a headline on the interwebs about a character committing suicide (and a picture of Pete) and I was part "spoiled" and part wondering who it was. I thought Pete was an obvious choice for suicide victim, so I started to think it would be either Layne or Roger. Sure enough...

Knowing this upfront and Don saying to Layne "Take the weekend to figure out an elegant exit" when he fired Layne - made me wince. The fact the Jaguar wouldn't start WAS funny (even Jared Harris, the actor who plays Layne, said he laughed when reading that part of the script) laugh.gif

I love the Sally stories (and as a woman, I guess I wasn't that freaked out by the bathroom scene at the museum - but I can see how some men are!) The girl who plays Sally is SO good, she really captured that freak-out moment of becoming a woman, and running straight for her mother (not Megan) despite their differences. So personally, I'm still interested in her coming-of-age tales.

The feud between Betty and Megan is a little trite for me. it's expected and only adds to the fact Betty is still childish and bratty herself.

I grew up with 4 older sisters & all their friends so seeing a gal get her period is no big deal to me but, and this is generally my take especially with The Sopranos, I find the kids & wife so damn uninteresting compared to the main character's work scenario. If Tony's or Don's kids never showed up again I simply wouldn't care or notice. Time wasters as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 10 2012, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 5 2012, 08:35 AM)
I DVR the show because it's on too late for me, just got around to watching last night, but I saw a headline on the interwebs about a character committing suicide (and a picture of Pete) and I was part "spoiled" and part wondering who it was.  I thought Pete was an obvious choice for suicide victim, so I started to think it would be either Layne or Roger.  Sure enough...

Knowing this upfront and Don saying to Layne "Take the weekend to figure out an elegant exit" when he fired Layne - made me wince.  The fact the Jaguar wouldn't start WAS funny (even Jared Harris, the actor who plays Layne, said he laughed when reading that part of the script) laugh.gif

I love the Sally stories (and as a woman, I guess I wasn't that freaked out by the bathroom scene at the museum - but I can see how some men are!)  The girl who plays Sally is SO good, she really captured that freak-out moment of becoming a woman, and running straight for her mother (not Megan) despite their differences.  So personally, I'm still interested in her coming-of-age tales.

The feud between Betty and Megan is a little trite for me.  it's expected and only adds to the fact Betty is still childish and bratty herself.

I grew up with 4 older sisters & all their friends so seeing a gal get her period is no big deal to me but, and this is generally my take especially with The Sopranos, I find the kids & wife so damn uninteresting compared to the main character's work scenario. If Tony's or Don's kids never showed up again I simply wouldn't care or notice. Time wasters as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't agree more. The whole Sally and her boyfriend thing/period thing/museum thing slowed down what was otherwise an amazing episode.

I don't understand why they go so deep into that whole thing since it has nothing to do with the whole Mad Men concept to begin with