Lyrical suggestions/message to Neil Peart

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 22 2012, 07:00 PM)
QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 22 2012, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 22 2012, 04:55 PM)
For Neil to suddenly embrace Jebess would be something of a sellout.

Please elaborate?

I don't think sellout was the right word.

Was the right word for me. As always, your mileage may vary.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 22 2012, 08:13 PM)

Please elaborate?

Thanks for the elaboration on the word sellout? wacko.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 22 2012, 07:13 PM)

Please elaborate?

It doesn't make sense. For someone to sell out, he needs to be offered money (or at the very least, favors) in exchange for sacrificing his beliefs. Do you really think that if Neil were to honestly "accept Jesus" or "find Jesus" or whatever, that it would be selling out? Do you think that anyone who changes religion in their lives is selling out?

It would be weird if Neil turned Christian. It would be unsettling for some. It would be seen as traitorous by many. But it wouldn't be selling out unless some Christian group bribed him into forsaking his beliefs and doing a Christian album.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 22 2012, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 22 2012, 07:13 PM)

Please elaborate?

It doesn't make sense. For someone to sell out, he needs to be offered money (or at the very least, favors) in exchange for sacrificing his beliefs. Do you really think that if Neil were to honestly "accept Jesus" or "find Jesus" or whatever, that it would be selling out? Do you think that anyone who changes religion in their lives is selling out?

It would be weird if Neil turned Christian. It would be unsettling for some. It would be seen as traitorous by many. But it wouldn't be selling out unless some Christian group bribed him into forsaking his beliefs and doing a Christian album.

Well, I guess the difference lies in our definition of the word "sellout."

I don't believe it is limited to financial gain. One can sellout ideologically, turning away from previous beliefs for some other promised benefit (real or imaginary). Since this is purely a moot discussion, that would be one of my concerns if Neil were to suddenly find Jebus.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 21 2012, 10:37 AM)
The only insecurity that I find on this board are those who are so easily offended when another fan shows dislike or distaste for some or many of Neil's lyrics. These are the fans who praise Neil ad nauseum for anything and everything he does but can't fathom why another fan may not like it. It's really quite pathetic when I see fans of any band become so overly attached. It's frightening.

Neil CAN say whatever he wants. Nobody disputes that. But the fans can say whatever they want as well.

Have we all forgotten the weirdness that was TriNet? (called "the huggyboard" by many CP'ers). wacko.gif

I'm not offended. Just sick of reading the same old crap. Hey, isn't that what you hate about Neil....?

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 23 2012, 12:31 AM)
The only insecurity that I find on this board are those who are so easily offended when another fan shows dislike or distaste for some or many of Neil's lyrics. These are the fans who praise Neil ad nauseum for anything and everything he does but can't fathom why another fan may not like it. It's really quite pathetic when I see fans of any band become so overly attached. It's frightening.

Neil CAN say whatever he wants. Nobody disputes that. But the fans can say whatever they want as well.

Have we all forgotten the weirdness that was TriNet? (called "the huggyboard" by many CP'ers). wacko.gif

I'm not offended. Just sick of reading the same old crap. Hey, isn't that what you hate about Neil....?

The thing is, and no offense, you are always complaining about people saying anything negative about Rush. One could say that's also "the same old crap." Just as sure as you know that I'm going to put down VT and certain other people are going to say certain negative things about Rush, I know just as surely that you and a few other people are going to come around and say the exact same things you always say putting down those complainers.

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, as you know I like you, but just trying to make a point. The people who complain about the complainers to me sound no different than the ones they're complaining about.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 23 2012, 12:50 AM)

The thing is, and no offense, you are always complaining about people saying anything negative about Rush. One could say that's also "the same old crap." Just as sure as you know that I'm going to put down VT and certain other people are going to say certain negative things about Rush, I know just as surely that you and a few other people are going to come around and say the exact same things you always say putting down those complainers.

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, as you know I like you, but just trying to make a point. The people who complain about the complainers to me sound no different than the ones they're complaining about.

Yes, I do complain about people who bring up the same thing over and over and over... and what I am complaining about is that fact. I mean... I know you don't like VT. Why on earth would I spend time trying to convince you otherwise? Why would I even mention it? Because I know what the reaction will be.

I don't have a problem with anyone saying something negative. I have a problem with the same people saying the same thing again. And again. And again. Can you see the difference?

And, FWIW, I will always stand up for someone who has been kind to me.

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 23 2012, 01:13 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 23 2012, 12:50 AM)

Yes, I do complain about people who bring up the same thing over and over and over... and what I am complaining about is that fact. I mean... I know you don't like VT. Why on earth would I spend time trying to convince you otherwise? Why would I even mention it? Because I know what the reaction will be.

I don't have a problem with anyone saying something negative. I have a problem with the same people saying the same thing again. And again. And again. Can you see the difference?

I don't see the difference. It's like saying, "Why do people keep being so whiny? I can't understand why they need to whine all the time. Why do they keep whining about the same thing? What's their problem? Why do they have to be so continually whiny already, for the love of God???!!!" An exaggeration, yes, but see what I mean? It still seems to me that people who complain about the complainers think they are more noble or justified somehow, but to me it's just the same thing.

Anyone who's here for any period of time ends up saying many of the same things over and over again. That goes for all of us. If anything, it seems those who just share their controversial opinions, even when they're negative, are actually having a lot more fun that those who are continually bothered by them.

And now here I am complaining about you complaining about people complaining, which will likely be followed by you complaining about me complaining about people complaining about complainers. It just gets silly after awhile.

If certain people or posts or threads bother anyone, everyone is always free to ignore them, but of course that rarely happens. They must enjoy them too much. Everyone knows the most spicy and controversial posts and threads get the most traffic and are the most fun.

It's easy to say, "oh, but if they just stopped doing that and the forum was just the way it SHOULD be, then I wouldn't have to go to all that trouble of ignoring them or putting up with them or having to complain about them!" I've been on TRF for 6 years or so, and I've seen the same dynamic happening for years. Obviously nothing is going to change, so if anyone expects it to, they're in for ongoing disappointment.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 21 2012, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Feb 21 2012, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 19 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 19 2012, 05:01 AM)
Has it become so pathetic that modern, middle aged Rush fans have become laughably co-dependant?

"Please, Neil - don't write things that matter to YOU - write things for meeeeeeeeeeeeee...."

Christ indeed.

Then there are those fans who'd eat Neil's shit if he asked them to do it.

Actually the first thing Neil does(even before he has a shit) is check this forum out, to see what people want him to write about. z7shysterical.gif

There's nothing wrong with giving Neil some suggestions on what to write. Doesn't mean he has to take those suggestions.

personally, I just wish he'd be as creative as he used to be.

Actually I do think there's something wrong with some people being so presumptuous and possessive of the band that they think they have the right to suggest to Neil what he ought to be writing about...that's what is frightening to me. It's his life and his work; if you don't like it...turn the page and move on. Besides that, if you know anything about him at all you should know there's no chance he would ever even consider any of these brilliant suggestions which makes the whole discussion rather pointless. And anyone who says he isn't creative anymore is not someone whose opinion I can take very seriously or even respect.

Edited by Silas Lang

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 21 2012, 02:52 PM)

I look at it this way. If I like it, I'll buy it. If I don't, I won't buy it. It will be a first for me, but life is short and there's plenty of other music out there that's worth the money.

I don't know why you would even consider it given your contempt for uncreative Neil and his stagnant writing... confused13.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 23 2012, 01:47 AM)
I don't believe it is limited to financial gain. One can sellout ideologically, turning away from previous beliefs for some other promised benefit (real or imaginary). Since this is purely a moot discussion, that would be one of my concerns if Neil were to suddenly find Jebus.

This seems very warped in the realm of making sense! wacko.gif

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/13105787/Rush+r3037.jpg

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 23 2012, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 23 2012, 01:47 AM)

This seems very warped in the realm of making sense! wacko.gif

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/13105787/Rush+r3037.jpg

I'm sorry you feel that way.

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 23 2012, 02:31 AM)

I don't hate Neil. I just wish he'd come up with something creative and different. Maybe we'll get that with the new album.

I'm just not a Neil worshipper. I don't await the next set of lyrics to live my life by the way some fans do.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 23 2012, 04:09 PM)

I don't hate Neil. I just wish he'd come up with something creative and different. Maybe we'll get that with the new album.

I'm just not a Neil worshipper. I don't await the next set of lyrics to live my life by the way some fans do.

Who does that?

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Feb 23 2012, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 23 2012, 04:09 PM)

Who does that?

Why would I list names when it's not that big of a deal for me? I just happen to come across these fanatics from time to time. You don't have to believe me if you don't feel like it.

topics do arise from time to time on here and other boards such as:

"how many people have you converted to listen to Rush music?"

"what kind of responses do you get when someone sees you wearing a Rush shirt?"

"What Rush song helped change your life?

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 22 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 22 2012, 02:47 PM)

The album is finished and the lyrics are written, rendering the o.p. moot.

I hope you wrote this AFTER the bong hits. Try thinking a little more deeply into things before you post. You showed up early for the train that never came.

No deep thought required (although bong hits would have helped)

Your original post is trite.

I'm not a religious person - but if Neil happened to be a Christian and wrote about his belief and faith, I could care less as long as it was done well.

The few (and I stress few) songs that he has written in the last decade discussing faith and religion are well written and certainly topical. Just look at the news.

And the idea that he needs to move on from this "overdone" theme seems odd. He wrote a few songs on Snakes and Arrows discussing faith (or lack thereof). This isn't something he has done repeatedly, ad-nauseum album after album - so I really don't get why people are so offended.

It's as if people want him to think differently because they take his observations personally. That's what I have a problem with.

I'm not a religious person - but if Neil happened to be a Christian and wrote about his belief and faith, I could care less as long as it was done well.

You would definitely be in the minority!

(and I stress few) songs that he has written in the last  decade discussing faith and religion are  well written and certainly topical. Just look at the news.

Fair point......

But well written might be a stretch!

idea that he needs to move on from this "overdone" theme seems odd. He wrote a few songs on Snakes and Arrows discussing faith (or lack thereof). This isn't something he has done repeatedly, ad-nauseum album after album - so I really don't get why people are so offended.

Seems odd?

Pumpy is in no way, shape or form offended!

He just wants the bloke to move onto another topic......

It really is just that simple..... wink.gif

Well Pumpy should be happy - the songs we have heard and comments made about CA by the band do not suggest a continuation of the theme of Snakes and Arrows.

On the contrary - its sounds like the story of some bloke on a trippy journey of self discovery complete with wacky hot air balloons

smile.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 23 2012, 05:50 PM)
Well Pumpy should be happy - the songs we have heard and comments made about CA by the band do not suggest a continuation of the theme of Snakes and Arrows.

On the contrary - its sounds like the story of some bloke on a trippy journey of self discovery complete with wacky hot air balloons

smile.gif

Woohoo! Hot air balloons! Finally something unsucky.