The Official Anathema Thread

adace1

Turns out I couldn't make the show tonight due to lack of funds. Pretty bummed about it, but I'm there in spirit at least.

I watched the Universal DVD a few days ago and was blown away by it. Probably one of the best live DVDs I've seen. Gotta pick it up at some point.

• Like 1

Turns out I couldn't make the show tonight due to lack of funds. Pretty bummed about it, but I'm there in spirit at least.

I watched the Universal DVD a few days ago and was blown away by it. Probably one of the best live DVDs I've seen. Gotta pick it up at some point.

Sorry you couldn't do that show adace, but I'm sure they will be back, at least Universal makes up for it somewhat. Gonna try and get into it this weekend, just been swamped lately.

• Like 1

What about :Angels Walk Among Us, Summer Night Horizon, The Gathering Of The Clouds,

After another viewing the song choice was very good. Just wanted to hear other tunes live I Guess. Will watch it again tonight.

Yeah, those would've been good as well.

I thought the Universal Blu-ray was epic! I was happy with the setlist; I am not familiar with their older material (which I understand is quite different) - actually I thought the only song that did *not* hit the mark for me was the first song in the encore ("Panic" I think) which to me, the timing seemed off on. The setting for the concert was amazing, the sound was great, the performances were stellar.

Anathema is a strange band for me - definitely don't fit into the muso camp that I frequent (or "fret-wank" as some refer to it :D ) but I just relate to the songs more emotionally. They are masters at building a vibe. That and they seem to be driving into spiritual territory that normally would make me throw up a little bit (but they just barely keep it ambiguous enough that I can keep it down. Maybe that's their plan, lol) Yet still, I really like them. I recall Opeth played some acoustic shows with them - I think that would have been pretty unusual to see as I listen to those two bands in such different ways. I'd guess Opeth stuck with the mellower Heritage and Damnation tracks.

Edited by cygnify

If you're a fan of their last few albums this DVD/Blu-ray is essential no question (you should own it by now). So glad they captured this tour the way they did here, the setting and orchestra capping it off. Really good document for us that never get to see them live (and some never will). They should be much MUCH bigger really :wacko:

Some great quotes here:

http://youtu.be/TkAyZ_34LmU

Saw and met Anathema on Saturday night (along with John Wesley supporting!) Stellar concert and super nice people. It was a blast. Daniel Cardoso is playing drums on the tour (and he told me he plays drums on the new album as well.)
  • Like 3

Apparently John played some percussion on the upcoming album (Distant Satellites) I didn't pry into why he doesn't tour in the US, but it certainly seems like a diminished role in the band.

I saw an interview with Danny Cavanagh where he said that John Douglas is going to be focused more on songwriting, along with adding percussion/synths. It is kind of weird how Jamie Cavanagh just kind of left though. He hardly even played on Weather Systems.

1980376_10152288187258629_412115567_o.jpg

ANATHEMA return in June with 'distant satellites', their brand new studio album.

Due to be released on 9th June via Kscope, 'distant satellites' is the highly anticipated follow up to 2012’s Weather Systems, recorded at Cederberg Studios in Oslo, with producer Christer-André Cederberg.

The beautifully ethereal artwork was created by Korean new media artist Sang Jun Too and based around his Distant Light Installation

The band released a statement on their new album:

“distant satellites is the culmination of everything ANATHEMA been working up to so far in our musical path. It contains almost every conceivable element of the heartbeat of Anathema music that it is possible to have.

There is beauty, intensity, drama, quietude, and extra musical dimensions that the band have previously only hinted at. All built on the song writing chemistry of Daniel, John and Vincent ~ and the haunting voice of Lee Douglas.

Produced and mixed once again by our very own Christer-André Cederberg - Producer/Mixer/Engineer (Weather Systems, Universal) and with some songs also mixed by the unassailable Steven Wilson - Official page, It's a special and unique release for the band.

ANATHEMA hopes the fans get as much joy from listening to and feeling the music as we did in creating it.”

Looks awesome!!

• Like 4

Wow, the release date's less than 2 months away... didn't expect the album to be out that soon, but regardless, I'm really looking foward to the new album!

It's a bit strange that the band never made any formal announcement regarding Jamie's place I'm the band. If anything he might just be only a live member for the European shows at this point. I could say the same for John Douglas, who like Jamie isn't part of the American touring band eve though he's still part of the writing process.

Edited by PolarizeMe

I love the "Distant Satellites" cover art. I'm going to save money to buy the vinyl. I discovered Anathema (opening act) during Blackfield's Welcome To My DNA tour on May 19, 2011 at the TLA in Philadelphia. Anathema (Vincent and Danny Cavanagh) played an acoustic set, it was awesome.

Wow, the release date's less than 2 months away... didn't expect the album to be out that soon, but regardless, I'm really looking foward to the new album!

Yeah I was kinda surprised it came out so soon as well...they're really on a roll now, may it long continue! :D-13:

I like the new song and it's really growing on me with multiple listens, but I hope it's not representative of the whole album. Sounds a bit too much like Weather Systems (I love WS but I'm expecting something a bit different from this one). Regardless, the first singles released from albums are usually not among my favorite tracks, so I'm not worried that I won't enjoy the album.