Vapor Trails Remix/Remaster

Dscrapre

if they do great, if not I dont care. I love this record for all its poorly mixed/masteredness.

I'm not counting on it happening any time soon, and I have a feeling that if/when it does happen, it'll be released as part of some sort of "set" that a lot of us will have no use for otherwise. I'm not sure I'll be all that interested in it regardless, though. Granted, some of the songs on VT, like Ceiling Unlimited, are complete messes as they are, and it would be nice to get cleaned-up versions of them. But I think that One Little Victory actually lost a bit of its edge in its remixed incarnation, and I could see the same thing happening to other heavy songs/parts (Freeze, the fast sections of Secret Touch, etc.). I don't think I'll want to spend money on a hit-or-miss sort of effort, especially if the disc ends up not being available on its own (and, thus, won't come cheap).

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 6 2012, 02:53 AM)
if they do great, if not I dont care. I love this record for all its poorly mixed/masteredness.

goodpost.gif

i didn't like the sound of the remixes on that one cd.

just leave it alone.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Feb 6 2012, 10:37 AM)
Not sure it makes sense to remaster it. It's not one of their best sellers, and it costs a lot to remaster and market something. I don't think it will happen.

Besides, we are lucky we got the album in 2002!

Their marketing costs would be virtually nil, actually. These days, given who their target audience is and the nature of the product, it would sell itself. Rush has a built-in audience and they know we'll buy official releases. And it wouldn't be all that expensive to remaster, either. Few thousand dollars maybe.

I'll just be content with my copy of it. The "clipping" doesn't bother me. It makes the music that much grittier.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 6 2012, 11:56 AM)
Not sure it makes sense to remaster it. It's not one of their best sellers, and it costs a lot to remaster and market something. I don't think it will happen.

Their marketing costs would be virtually nil, actually. These days, given who their target audience is and the nature of the product, it would sell itself. Rush has a built-in audience and they know we'll buy official releases. And it wouldn't be all that expensive to remaster, either. Few thousand dollars maybe.

Hi Daniel,

I could be wrong. You bring up some good points. If most are buying electronically, the packaging costs wouldn't be as high either.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Feb 6 2012, 01:19 PM)
I have a version called the Hildie Reworked Version, put out in November of 2011, this fellow did all of the work himself using Cool Edit Pro, this is the best Version I have heard yet, stunning sound 2.gif

I'd love to hear it. Where do you get such a thing?

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 6 2012, 03:16 PM)
I have a version called the Hildie Reworked Version, put out in November of 2011, this fellow did all of the work himself using Cool Edit Pro, this is the best Version I have heard yet,  stunning sound      2.gif

+1

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 6 2012, 03:16 PM)
I have a version called the Hildie Reworked Version, put out in November of 2011, this fellow did all of the work himself using Cool Edit Pro, this is the best Version I have heard yet,  stunning sound      2.gif

Demonoid.me, i believe it is still up 2.gif

my teacher actually brought up how loud and brick-walled Vapour Trails is in class, while we were learning about mastering. i also played One Little Victory through an oscilloscope and you could actually see instances where the waveforms were cut off.

safe to say that the remixes on Retro3 did not do that. i'd love to hear a remastered version of the whole disc if it ever comes out. it would be this year if it does as some kind of 10th anniversary thing. or probably as another sector-type boxset with presto-vapour trails. either way, i'd buy it- but im a sucker.

To this day I still wonder how did the thing get released like that considering Rush are perfectionists and clipping would be one of the main quality checkpoints you look at before it goes to press. Heck....I can check for clipping in one minute here on my home PC. Edited by presto123

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 6 2012, 09:56 AM)

yeah, but it would only sell a few thousand copies max. their new albums these days don't even seem to come close to selling 500,000 copies. a remastered album, even though it would be an obvious correction to a horrible job, and not simply "yet another remaste," still would only sell to really hardcore rush fans. add to that, all the hardcore fans who can't stand the album, like myself, who wouldn't bother. they'd be lucky to break even on the project, and to these ears, i really don't see the point. i'm thinking rush realized this was not them in top form to say the least and would rather the whole issue just went away...

not sure if someone mentioned this already, but they could definitely release it as a free HQ download much like what nine inch nails has done. or other not-so-free options. but im not gonna get it if its just an itunes download.

it's either remastered CD, HQ "CD quality" waves/ lossless files, or nothing.

QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Feb 6 2012, 10:04 PM)
not sure if someone mentioned this already, but they could definitely release it as a free HQ download much like what nine inch nails has done. or other not-so-free options. but im not gonna get it if its just an itunes download.

rush doesn't do free these days. they don't seem to do anything unless there's a good payoff involved. this project doesn't really have a payoff, at least not a financial one. they'd do it because they would want to try and right an old wrong. my thinking, however, is that if they REALLY cared, they would have done it by now. or perhaps they do care, but obviously this is a low priority item or they would have done it by now.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 6 2012, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Dylan2712 @ Feb 6 2012, 10:04 PM)

rush doesn't do free these days. they don't seem to do anything unless there's a good payoff involved. this project doesn't really have a payoff, at least not a financial one. they'd do it because they would want to try and right an old wrong. my thinking, however, is that if they REALLY cared, they would have done it by now. or perhaps they do care, but obviously this is a low priority item or they would have done it by now.

that does seem like a more logical thing to happen. i believe that we will see a remastered version eventually, but for now; Clockwork Angels+ tour.