Vital Signs Bass and Vocal Cover

CruisingInPrimetime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tLzOTIBzFo

Please let me know what you think! I'll post more if I'm allowed to! laugh.gif

I'm a brand new user so I didn't know whether to post this here or in the Music of the Spheres section. MOTS said "There are bands other than Rush?" as the description - So I figured since it was Rush related, it would go here. Please let me know if cover's are not meant for this section of the forum.

Peace

The bass playing is fine, although the tone sucks. Of course easily fixable. Dont like the singing though. You dont have any vibrato at all which Geddy is great at, or was anyway. And the notes without vibrato arent very smooth and a bit too dramatic sometimes so its pretty rough around the edges. Not awful, but not great either.

Just trying to help. The only way to get better is to know what can be better, and the singing definitely needs work. Keep practicing, develop that vibrato and keep it subtle, you dont want to sound like some broadway singer with some crazy over the top vibrato.

Edited by trenken

I hate to keep posting this since its all over this site, but its the best rush cover ive ever seen. Listen to his singing. Very nice subtle vibrato. Takes a long time to develop if you arent a natural singer, which you can hear he definitely was born with the natural ability to sing. For you to develop it, it just takes practice. Keep at it.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 30 2012, 11:35 AM)
The bass playing is fine, although the tone sucks. Of course easily fixable. Dont like the singing though. You dont have any vibrato at all which Geddy is great at, or was anyway. And the notes without vibrato arent very smooth and a bit too dramatic sometimes so its pretty rough around the edges. Not awful, but not great either.

Just trying to help. The only way to get better is to know what can be better, and the singing definitely needs work. Keep practicing, develop that vibrato and keep it subtle, you dont want to sound like some broadway singer with some crazy over the top vibrato.

Thanks. I sang this cover in my Geddy voice, which is no doubt pitchy, and does need some work.

I also do a version where I use my diaphragm and vibrato. It's more on pitch and probably sounds better. (you can be the judge, I'll be posting a redo of VS in a few days) I'll use that voice next time. I almost did, but I thought I'd see what people thought of my Ged voice first.

I've seen the Jake Moon cover. Very talented guy!

Thanks for the Feedback!

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Jan 30 2012, 01:17 PM)

Thanks. I sang this cover in my Geddy voice, which is no doubt pitchy, and does need some work.

I also do a version where I use my diaphragm and vibrato. It's more on pitch and probably sounds better. (you can be the judge, I'll be posting a redo of VS in a few days) I'll use that voice next time. I almost did, but I thought I'd see what people thought of my Ged voice first.

Thanks for the Feedback!

It's usually not good to try and sound like him. It almost always ends up sounding weird and overly dramatic. Id would rather just hear you do it your own way, that's much more interesting to me. It would sound less forced and sound more impressive if you did it in a way you're more comfortable with, using your natural style of singing, which isnt the same as Geddy's.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 30 2012, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Jan 30 2012, 01:17 PM)

Thanks for the Feedback!

It's usually not good to try and sound like him. It almost always ends up sounding weird and overly dramatic. Id would rather just hear you do it your own way, that's much more interesting to me. It would sound less forced and sound more impressive if you did it in a way you're more comfortable with, using your natural style of singing, which isnt the same as Geddy's.

Yeah, it is more interesting, isn't it? It kind of puts the song to the test. Would I still like this song if it wasn't by Rush? Jake Moon and Subdivisions is a good example. Show that to someone who claims to hate Rush, maybe they'd like it.

I don't like hearing people try to sing like Geddy either. It's never Geddy.

Although that would be awesome if there was someone who could sing exactly like Geddy. My guess will be Geddy's voice will give out before his hands. Imagine if they got a replacement who could sing everything spot-on.

Maybe I should keep practicing my Geddy voice. 653.gif

Dude - he's doing a bass / vocal cover of Rush in his bedroom, not auditioning for American Idol.

And actually - the singing is impressive. Rarely can someone attempt to

"imitate" Geddy withpout sounding like an idiot.

CruisingInPrimetime pulls it off very nicely.

Again, I would love to hear some of your music. You dole out criticism with an almost "authorative" tone based on your own experience and set of skills, so - I imagine you're pretty good.

Lets hear it.