Flying Colors

tangy

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 1 2012, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 1 2012, 04:56 AM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Feb 29 2012, 11:52 PM)
I've heard it, I love it. Very Neal Morse-esq.

Oh Jeeeebus. Really? That sucks. Unless he's reined in, that man sends me into interminable slumber.

I'm in the metaldad camp so. 1022.gif

It doesn't bother me, as long as Neil was not in charge of lyrics this time around.

Neal is on keyboard duty and music credits only for this gig...

Edited by treeduck

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 1 2012, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 1 2012, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 1 2012, 04:56 AM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Feb 29 2012, 11:52 PM)
I've heard it, I love it. Very Neal Morse-esq.

Oh Jeeeebus. Really? That sucks. Unless he's reined in, that man sends me into interminable slumber.

I'm in the metaldad camp so. 1022.gif

It doesn't bother me, as long as Neil was not in charge of lyrics this time around.

Neal is on keyboard duty and music credits only for this gig...

Great, did not nead another preachy album like The Whirlwind....which I liked.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 3 2012, 09:39 AM)
This is going to be an incredible album. Everything Changes popped up on Youtube, and I'm in love.

doh.gif i still can't find it. anxious to hear this.

in regards to pop music, Neal has written a number of great songs that leaned towards pop during his day with the beard, in particular: june, skin, all on a sunday and the healing colors of sound pt 2.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 3 2012, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 3 2012, 09:39 AM)
This is going to be an incredible album. Everything Changes popped up on Youtube, and I'm in love.

doh.gif i still can't find it. anxious to hear this.

in regards to pop music, Neal has written a number of great songs that leaned towards pop during his day with the beard, in particular: june, skin, all on a sunday and the healing colors of sound pt 2.

It comes up every couple of days then gets pulled. The addition of Casey really makes this album stand out. I feel like if Neal was on vocals I wouldn't like it as much, simply because I've heard him SOOOO much over the past decade.

Why is it that this album was recorded and Mixed/Mastered in Jan 2011 and is not coming out until March 2012 ?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 15 2012, 11:00 AM)
Why is it that this album was recorded and Mixed/Mastered in Jan 2011 and is not coming out until March 2012 ?

Manufacturing, Marketing, and getting in the queue behind the other releases under that distributer...

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 18 2012, 01:19 PM)
Where did you order it from? Amazon or Radiant Records?

Radiant records.

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 18 2012, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Mar 18 2012, 02:48 PM)

Radiant records.

I knew I should have gone with them instead of Amazon.

I will always support Neal's label over a big company like Amazon.

QUOTE (Tick @ Mar 18 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 18 2012, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Tick @ Mar 18 2012, 02:48 PM)

Radiant records.

I knew I should have gone with them instead of Amazon.

I will always support Neal's label over a big company like Amazon.

I wish I did buy it from them but I had an Amazon gift card. I'll buy Neal's new album from his label though.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 18 2012, 03:19 PM)
I just realized that Amazon doesn't charge gift cards until the order ships so I'm going to cancel it and buy it from Radiant. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

Cool. atickhum.gif

It sounds very good. Fairly straight-ahead rock, sometimes with a bright, poppy sound. Doses of harder stuff, fusion, prog, grunge. A few obvious Neal influenced-moments, but not too much. Last track could have been on a Transatlantic album. References Muse, Marillion, Radiohead, Deep Purple, and other stuff I can't think of ATM but I know I've heard before.

I like the mix, generally there's enough room for each instrument to breath.

Portnoy sounds OK in his turn as lead singer.

I'll dare to use the word "synergy" here. They sound all of a piece.

A few dead spots, but many more highs. 8/10

Edited by Priest of Syrinx

The music sounds interesting I guess from those samples, but not a fan of what I'm hearing of the singer. He sounds like a generic mix of the lead singers from Muse and Incubus. Probably closer to Brandon from Incubus, but this guy doesn't sound quite as good as him. Brandon is a great singer.

Singers are always make or break it for me. If the music is great but I dont love the singer then I couldnt care less about the band, but I'll give this a chance. Need to hear more.

Normally I hate supergroups. You throw them all in a room to write an album and often you end up with too much variety, like it sounds like 5 different bands. From those samples I'm hearing some modern alternative, some light rock in there, to speed metal towards the end (obviously to keep Portnoy happy). WTF

Edited by trenken

The singer's band Alpha Rev is pretty good. They had a couple of hits last year but they're not bad for a mainstream pop band. I do prefer Neal Morse though.

And I totally disagree with about supergroups. I like the variety and different styles that the members bring.

QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Mar 18 2012, 08:03 PM)
Yeah, I'd agree about the singer. I prefer Neal's voice, but then it would be too much of a "Neal Morse" album.

I think if the singer's your thing, you may not be too happy with Flying Colors.

I'm content with the singer. I am a huge Neal fan so I would love him to be the guy, the singer here has a good voice.