New Geddy Interview

Something4Nothing

QUOTE (jnoble @ Dec 6 2011, 05:01 PM)
unfortunatly, there's no way on God's green earth that Geddy could or even would attempt to sing/play all of Hemispheres in concert. No way no how. Unless they dropped it an entire octave, and even then....

Well obviously that's what they would have to do with any of those old albums, like that or 2112. No way is he pulling that stuff off anymore, so drop the key so he doesn't sound like he's dying out there.

He knows he can't sing it, but honestly at this point I personally think he should consider dropping the key of even stuff like Moving Pictures. He's clearly struggling to sing all of that stuff. Only things he sounds comfortable with to me is stuff like Presto where he was pretty much singing low all the time.

Circumstances stunk tuned down a full step - Hemispheres would suffer with that. I'd say they try a half step and go from there. That would be interesting...because that first open G barre chord (the 'Lifeson Chord') would have people thinking - "I've heard that before"

Yep - "Rooster" by Alice in Chains.

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Dec 7 2011, 09:34 AM)
Circumstances stunk tuned down a full step - Hemispheres would suffer with that.

Disagree there, I much prefer Circumstances tuned down - makes it sound more heavy and badass. I'd say the same for the song 2112, but whether it would work for Hemispheres and other songs on the 2112 album, I don't know.

Besides, if they were to play another album in it's entirety, I'd much rather see them play Permanent Waves. IMO it's a much stronger album than 2112 and it would be a lot less taxing on Geddy's voice. Seems like the obvious choice to me.

Ive been waiting since I was 12 to see Hemispheres...

Circumstances stunk tuned down a full step - Hemispheres would suffer with that. I'd say they try a half step and go from there. That would be interesting...because that first open G barre chord (the 'Lifeson Chord') would have people thinking - "I've heard that before"

didnt that song come out 15 years after Hemispheres?

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 7 2011, 09:45 AM)
Besides, if they were to play another album in it's entirety, I'd much rather see them play Permanent Waves.

I'd be on board with this. Unfortunately, it seems they've soured on Jacob's Ladder. sad.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 7 2011, 11:05 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:03 PM)
Ive been waiting since I was 12 to see Hemispheres...

My guess is you will CONTINUE to wait... eh.gif

I fear this to be true. but I now have the capability to start ripping my old cassette boots of hemispheres and tweak em a touch. Ill have to live with that

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:37 PM)
Besides, if they were to play another album in it's entirety, I'd much rather see them play Permanent Waves.

I'd be on board with this. Unfortunately, it seems they've soured on Jacob's Ladder. sad.gif

Yeah...Neil actually discusses it in his new DVD. He mentioned that they were trying Jacob's Ladder, but that it didn't work for them now.

Then again...they always said the same about The Camera Eye, and then it showed up. So...I guess you never know...

I know I'm probably in the minority, but if I were to have another complete album live, I think I'd love one of the synth era albums, like Power Windows or Signals.

I've only been going to shows since 2002, and I've only seen 6 out of 16 songs from those two albums (Subdivisions, Digital Man, New World Man, The Big Money, Marathon, and Mystic Rhythms).

To me, I'd rather see those 10 songs than just Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings. It was the same with MP...all amazing songs, but the only new one I hadn't seen from the last few tours was The Camera Eye.

With Power Windows and/or Signals, you get the quality AND the quantity. yes.gif

Circumstances stunk tuned down a full step - Hemispheres would suffer with that.  I'd say they try a half step and go from there.  That would be interesting...because that first open G barre chord (the 'Lifeson Chord') would have people thinking - "I've heard that before"

Hmm...i was always under the impression that the lifeson chord was an F#7sus4

Edited by Something4Nothing

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 7 2011, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:37 PM)

Yeah...Neil actually discusses it in his new DVD. He mentioned that they were trying Jacob's Ladder, but that it didn't work for them now.

Then again...they always said the same about The Camera Eye, and then it showed up. So...I guess you never know...

I know I'm probably in the minority, but if I were to have another complete album live, I think I'd love one of the synth era albums, like Power Windows or Signals.

I've only been going to shows since 2002, and I've only seen 6 out of 16 songs from those two albums (Subdivisions, Digital Man, New World Man, The Big Money, Marathon, and Mystic Rhythms).

To me, I'd rather see those 10 songs than just Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings. It was the same with MP...all amazing songs, but the only new one I hadn't seen from the last few tours was The Camera Eye.

With Power Windows and/or Signals, you get the quality AND the quantity. yes.gif

I wouldn't give up hope on Jacob's Ladder just yet. Remember that The Camera Eye was rehearsed for the R30 tour and then dropped, but it showed up again on the The Time Machine tour and the band have said it is now one of their favourites to play. Just because the band feels a song isn't right for a particular tour doesn't mean they won't consider it again for another tour.

And if they were to do a synth era album live, I'd vote for Hold Your Fire. So many great songs on that album that have not been played live for years or at all in some cases (e.g. Open Secrets). I suspect I'm in the minority here tongue.gif

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 7 2011, 03:11 PM)
And if they were to do a synth era album live, I'd vote for Hold Your Fire. So many great songs on that album that have not been played live for years or at all in some cases (e.g. Open Secrets). I suspect I'm in the minority here tongue.gif

laugh.gif

I imagine you're only considered in the minority if you're dying to hear Tai Shan or High Water played live.

Outside of that, I am with you on basically all of HYF. Open Secrets is one of my all-time favourite tunes...and I would LOVE to see this LIVE. Prime Mover and Lock & Key as well for damn sure! 1022.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Dec 7 2011, 03:17 PM)
I imagine you're only considered in the minority if you're dying to hear Tai Shan or High Water played live.

Outside of that, I am with you on basically all of HYF. Open Secrets is one of my all-time favourite tunes...and I would LOVE to see this LIVE. Prime Mover and Lock & Key as well for damn sure! 1022.gif

Open Secrets, Prime Mover, Lock And Key and Turn The Page would all be great live I think. Hell, I'd even be up for Tai Shan and High Water!

QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 7 2011, 06:57 PM)
Hold Your Fire? NOOOOO! Grace Under Pressure full record would rule!

P/G's a good album but I find it a bit clinical at times. Nothing really wrong with that but there are just other albums I'd rather hear. Down to personal taste I guess.

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Dec 7 2011, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Dec 7 2011, 06:57 PM)
Hold Your Fire? NOOOOO! Grace Under Pressure full record would rule!

P/G's a good album but I find it a bit clinical at times. Nothing really wrong with that but there are just other albums I'd rather hear. Down to personal taste I guess.

You're right:) But I think you would find with a poll that 90% of the people on this forum like GUP waaay better than HYF. GUP is one of my favs and HYF is one of my least favs.

Edited by presto123

2112 in its entirety would be awesome - Ged can totally pull it off vocally with adjustments in a lower octave, which would be perfectly reasonable considering the album was written and recorded in the 70's.

Circumstances sounded absolutely kick ass on the Snakes tour.

And I love the fact that he recognizes they have become too reliant on multi-tracking.

Cant believe we are so lucky to be anticipating brand new Rush and a tour in 2012. Who would have thought...

QUOTE (eshine @ Dec 8 2011, 03:34 AM)
2112 in its entirety would be awesome - Ged can totally pull it off vocally with adjustments in a lower octave, which would be perfectly reasonable considering the album was written and recorded in the 70's.
Circumstances sounded absolutely kick ass on the Snakes tour.

And I love the fact that he recognizes they have become too reliant on multi-tracking.

Cant believe we are so lucky to be anticipating brand new Rush and a tour in 2012. Who would have thought...

goodpost.gif