Devin Townsend

Good,bad,andrush

I watched an instructional vid of him through guitar world magazine, and the guy knows his shit...unique style of playing.

Check out his cover of Natural Science...

I like a good amount of his stuff. Synchestra is pure genius.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 23 2012, 09:28 AM)
I must try this guys music again. Could not get into it last time I listened.

If you're going to get some solo stuff go for Ocean Machine and Terria first. Then later go for Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution, those are actually under the Devin Townsend band moniker, it's all the same though. After that try Ziltoid.

And then if you feel dangerous try some Strapping Young Lad as well, City or Alien or both. Or maybe try an earlier solo album Infinity.

There's a lot more of course including ambient stuff and his latest stuff but this is enough to be going on with.

1022.gif trink36.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 23 2012, 05:10 PM)

If you're going to get some solo stuff go for Ocean Machine and Terria first. Then later go for Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution, those are actually under the Devin Townsend band moniker, it's all the same though. After that try Ziltoid.

And then if you feel dangerous try some Strapping Young Lad as well, City or Alien or both. Or maybe try an earlier solo album Infinity.

There's a lot more of course including ambient stuff and his latest stuff but this is enough to be going on with.

1022.gif trink36.gif

The last time I tried Strapping Young Lad I couldn't sit down for a month!

OH!

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 23 2012, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 23 2012, 05:10 PM)

1022.gif trink36.gif

The last time I tried Strapping Young Lad I couldn't sit down for a month!

OH!

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Apr 23 2012, 05:10 PM)
Zillion is great fun 1022.gif

? I have heard of Ziltoid.

Devin is most definitely awesome, and being someone who has called him the modern day Zappa for years, I agree with the comment in the OP!

Terria and Addicted are my favorites, but Ocean Machine, Ki, Deconstruction, Ghost and Infinity are all incredible as well.

Just getting in to Devin Townsend. I've had Ghost for a couple of months and I like it but I finally decided to get a couple more albums. I got Addicted and Ki. Addicted is excellent - I listened to it last night and again today. Its catchy as hell.

I'm listening to Ki right now and its very good as well. I listened to the samples (which I shouldn't do since I didn't like the CA samples) from Epicloud and it sounds like its going to be an incredible album.

I also loved Anneke Van Giersbergen's voice on Addicted, especially on Hyperdrive, so I'm going to have to listen to The Gathering now as well.

If you liked Epicloud, you'd probably like Addicted (for individual songs, check out Supercrush!, Numbered!, and Bend It Like Bender!). Ocean Machine is also a good album to go with next.

I'm not too familiar with Strapping Young Lad yet, but I have heard Alien. Deconstruction has been compared to them so I'd imagine that you'd like them as well.

In the last few months, Devin has become one of my favorite musicians. Saw him live a couple months ago and he was excellent. His back catalog is huge and I still need to fill in a few gaps but I like just about everything I've heard from him.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

I had a chance to see him not too long ago, but I passed because I had only hearf OF him and I knew some of the stuff was really heavy. I'm more of a 'sit and listen closely' kind of guy and I didn't know what kind of crowd he draws. Mistake on my part, this guy is very good.