THE ONLY BORED THREAD v.1

ghostworks

I finally got to open up my Macallan! Took a sniff - smells lovely. Poured a little out and took a tentative sip: cripes! Like liquid fire: ears warm up, as do the pipes! :ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

a little* water never hurt a good pour of Macallan

I rarely drink Macallan neat

* but I mean 'little'

you can kill all the flavor with too much water, so my suggestion is - if you're interested - take a standard old fashioned glass and pour just enough water into it to coat the bottom of the glass

now start adding Scotch - at first, just enough to make it equal parts water/Scotch, go ahead and taste it (should taste a little dull)

now add a tiny bit more

taste

and so on

by having the water in there first and adding Scotch to taste, I find it much easier to hone in on the perfect balance (and I also tend not to waste lots of Scotch by OOPS pouring too much water into a neat pour, which is easy to do)

a lot of Scotch snobs look down on anyone who would dare use water or ice, and IMO that's because they assume being a Scotch advocate = neat only

the perfect water and/or ice to Scotch ratio is a matter of tiny degrees - and willingness to experiment (not all Scotch works with water or ice etc)

^ all that's just too fussy for most who self-identify as a 'Scotch Drinker' (capital letters) :)

• Like 1

I finally got to open up my Macallan! Took a sniff - smells lovely. Poured a little out and took a tentative sip: cripes! Like liquid fire: ears warm up, as do the pipes! :ebert: :ebert: :ebert:

a little* water never hurt a good pour of Macallan

I rarely drink Macallan neat

* but I mean 'little'

you can kill all the flavor with too much water, so my suggestion is - if you're interested - take a standard old fashioned glass and pour just enough water into it to coat the bottom of the glass

now start adding Scotch - at first, just enough to make it equal parts water/Scotch, go ahead and taste it (should taste a little dull)

now add a tiny bit more

taste

and so on

by having the water in there first and adding Scotch to taste, I find it much easier to hone in on the perfect balance (and I also tend not to waste lots of Scotch by OOPS pouring too much water into a neat pour, which is easy to do)

a lot of Scotch snobs look down on anyone who would dare use water or ice, and IMO that's because they assume being a Scotch advocate = neat only

the perfect water and/or ice to Scotch ratio is a matter of tiny degrees - and willingness to experiment (not all Scotch works with water or ice etc)

^ all that's just too fussy for most who self-identify as a 'Scotch Drinker' (capital letters) :)

Okay - will give it a go. But by Crikey - that fire! Even bloomed out into my stomach! :D